The Avon 2 Day Walk Recap Day Dos

Day two. Oh Day two of the walk. You pretty much beat us up even more than Day one, but I’m glad we finished the whole entire walk. There were options (which we didn’t know about until after we started day one) to ‘walk however far you could’ We were kind of confused about this, since we figured you had to walk the whole thing? Well that’s what we chose to do, so we were getting it done.

We woke up around 6:15 and got ready to get dropped off at the starting line for another day. Luckily the only thing that was hurting were both DJ and I’s feet. Our legs felt mostly okay for walking 26.2 miles but our feet were killing us! I couldn’t believe how much pain each step was, but we reminded each other about the cause and that we were in it together. We knew we had to finish and the sounds of 13.1 compared to 26.2 was much more inviting. We felt okay once we got up and started moving. We also had the motivation of wearing out new outfits from Wal-mart, the Tutus!

avon4

Here we are ready to tackle the 13.1 that lay ahead of us. It was much cooler Sunday than Saturday which added relief and I wasn’t deathly afraid of getting the worse tan lines of my life from my tank top. I did get burned pretty badly on my chest but now it looks okay again, thankfully. I just look like I wore a one piece. Fail.

avon6

Here I am, DJ said it looked like I was going to my first day of 3rd grade in my skirt and with my hair in pigtails! These skirts were the best idea ever and I’m so glad we got them the night before.

avon8

Here’s the entire ensemble. The skirts were clutch and we were so happy we found them. Walmart, 5 dollars, halloween section! :) DJ also put ribbons on her skirt of everyone who donated to her. :) I’m not so creative.

avon9

The walk when we first began. 2,000 people taking off from a park ready to tackle the next day of adventures and head to the closing ceremonies! We walked some of the same path but it was much easier to know that you were only walking HALF of what we did the day prior.

avon13

I guess I was still feeling pretty good! :) I think our skirts made us a little bit excited for the day. People kept asking us if we made them. Are you kidding me? I can’t even write neatly.

avon14

This picture pretty much sums us up with our personalities. I am usually looking rather confused and am rather confused as to what is going on and DJ is always looking cute. ALWAYS. :)

avon15

We walked through a lot of residential areas to get us back to the starting point. There were so many cheerers and great supporters along the route and that made it so much better and more bearable. The first fourish miles were really going well, I think it was the fact that we were moving and it made us almost feel better.

avon17

I cannot even tell you how many compliments we got on our skirts! It was great :) Also, there were so many of the same people we had seen the day before, seeing them again was really great and knowing we had so many random people supporting us meant a lot to us.

avon19

How could I not take the BEST PICTURE EVER! :) Me and my one true love, reunited! How badly did I want to go inside? Oh Taco Bell.

avon20

We were cruising pretty well at this point. We knew the area we were in which seemed to really help us in reference to where we were going and where the finish line was. We walked past Cal State Long Beach and through some more residential areas before we hit the marina. There was really only one large hill that happened right around mile 4 as well and then there was a rather large downhill after that.

avon22

This was right after things started to hurt really badly again. We were beginning to be passed right and left and it was humorous yet painful. We kept walking and just let people pass us on our left. Ha ha, we were still getting compliments on our skirts though! We decided we were Team Turtle and also Team It isn’t about how you feel but how you look.

avon26

This was roughly around mile 9 along the Bluffs in Long Beach. It’s a really pretty area and it was fun walking up there. I run up there a lot too and it overlooks the path that we walked on the day before. There are a lot of really beautfiul houses to look at and the breeze was much needed. There were fun supporters along the way that kept reminding us how close we were. Each step was pretty painful though.

avon29

This is a statue that I don’t really know the meaning but I always want to take a picture by it! I run by it a lot. Too bad I’m totally leaning on him because I pretty much could barely hold myself up when we stopped.

avon30

We found these really good chalk drawings and I saw this one and thought it was AMAZING! Nom Nom is right! :) How could I not take a picture?

avon31

This is at mile 10. Here we knew we only had 3.1 miles to go, and though they were going to be slow and steady we were going to make it! We were so close and in a lot of pain. Each step rubbed something the wrong way, I have a huge blister on my heel and my toes are slowly healing from being beat up from running and now walking. Sad toes.

avon34

The last mile of the race was basically uphill and it was pretty steep. That was ROUGH! The hill is a bridge that goes over the bay and leads you back to the other side of the bay and to the Queen Mary which is also in the background of this picture. It was tough to get to the top of the hill, but it was really nice because you can see the finish line and hear everyone there! We were so close and we were really struggling. We walked so funny and some people were cheering for us and we just laughed and how we probably looked. Someone told us, “Tell those dogs it’s almost over,” We replied with, “These dogs are going to go Old Yeller on us right now.” Seriously some of the stuff we said was pretty hilarious all weekend, another major bonus to walking with DJ.

avon35

This was at mile 13. It was hot at this point and we had to walk down about 50 stairs. That was rough. It was like walking down 50 curbs after a marathon. Luckily there were hand rails that we gripped onto like our lives depended on it. Then we started going down sideways and it was much easier, but it looked like we were doing a weird dance to the song that the motorcycle cop was playing. It was quite the site, I’m sure.

avon36

We did it! We finished! As you see someone handed me a rose, which was really cool until it stuck to my hand because there were THORNS in it! Ha! We were SO glad to be done. We promptly went over to the shade and sat down. Well, collapsed and sat down all at once. Then of course, me being little miss piggy saw some pizza that the crew guys were eating.

avon37

I got up and snuck back over and asked them if I could have a piece. I was so excited when he said, “Yea, just take one quickly” and turned his back to hide me from the others. It was the BEST pizza ever!

Overall I’m so glad we did the entire walk and really glad for the experience that DJ and I shared. I am so incredibly proud of her for walking through all the pain we went through! I am going to do a blog post soon completely dedicated to what I personally think is harder, Walking or Running a marathon.

I also was glad to have her by my side for all the cheers and the “I think I might cry” moments, which happened to both of us numerous times along the route. I was also impressed by all the ice baths we took and hard work we put into the event by fundrasing the right amount needed to walk the event. It was a great event and in the event there were 2,000 walkers, and all together we raised 4.5 million dollars to find a cure, which is also astounding.

As for my health, yesterday was a little rough, but again it’s mostly just my feet that hurt. I get a little stiff if I sit for a while, but that can easily be fixed  by walking around slowly and stretching, which I tried to do a lot of. Today, I was going to get up early and run but my toes and feet are still pretty sore. My legs feel pretty much almost normal again which is nice at least, but I can get stiff easily, so I have to remind myself to drink a lot of water and walk around ever so often.

I am so thankful for all the support  I’ve received via twitter and my blog throughout this experience, it really means a lot to me and I’m so thankful for it. :)

Oh and tomorrow, I have a sick giveaway! :)

49 Responses to The Avon 2 Day Walk Recap Day Dos

1. Stuart says:

First!!!

Congrats on doing an awesome job, as always an inspiration!

2. Glenn Jones says:

Ha ha! Thanks for the picures and report Danica. At least it looks like the two of you had a blast doing it!

And the outfits are classic!

3. Gina Harris says:

Great job, Danica! Walking is SO much harder for me than running. You guys rock!

4. Marlene says:

You two are SUCH troopers. Amazing. I seriously can’t imagine walking that far/long. Something tells me WALKING a marathon is harder.

Great costumes!

5. Jess says:

Congrats to both of you on finishing! I love your costumes they are so cute. Mind if I borrow the idea for the Susan Komen 5K I’m running?

6. Jen says:

Just so you know, you have totally inspired me to do the Chicago walk next June. I am in awe!

7. Punk Rock Runner says:

Lots of fun photos!! Thanks for taking the time to share the weekend with us. Very cool

8. LyndsAU says:

you look fabulous my friend!! love that tutu/skirt :) FAB! congrats on finished that is amazing!! truly an inspiration!

9. Alisa says:

Congrats on finishing that grueling 39.3! I can’t even imagine walking both of those things.

I bet your feet hurt—ouchie!

10. haha so cute!! isn’t it amazing how tiring walking can be?! I think runners often under estimate that

11. Alex says:

The skirts are awesome!

12. Morgan says:

Those skirts are SASSY!!! I’m so headed to Walmart for my tu-tu for the Halloween Half! Congrats again on a fantastic walk for a cause!!!

13. markemmanuel says:

Congrats!

Cute outfits!

My friend, Danielle, and I have been planning a Taco Bell evening to scratch our itch. She’s addicted to THE Taco Bell too! mmm… Taco Bell. What a great reward for a super long walk.

14. Niki says:

Love the tutus! Great job girl!

15. relutntrunner/Jen says:

You’re both DARLING in your little tutus. And you made it through the whole thing! Sounds painful but rewarding. Now go to the doctor and get the toes looked at please!

16. kristin says:

Loved the recap! Great tutu’s :)
    How fun!

17. Brandi says:

Congrats!!! What an accomplishment!!!

Loved the outfits!! Adorable!!!

18. Amanda says:

Congrats on finishing, and looking adorable doing it!

19. Brittney says:

LOVE the skirts! You girls did great-way to finish strong!

20. Erin says:

Congrats on finishing, I love the tutu’s super cute idea!

21. Lisa says:

Way to go. Your feet may have been hurting, but you looked fabulous right up through the end. I love that you asked for some pizza at the end.

22. You two are so precious! I love that yall were decked out in pink both days. I love those pink head bands too- super cute.

23. Kim C. says:

I just read both days posts and this is seriously the best thing I’ve read all day…

great job!!!

24. Sheila says:

Wow. After reading both of your posts about the Avon walk, I have to say I have a new respect for walking. I mean, I always thought it sounded pretty tough to walk a marathon at 8+ hours but you have confirmed that multiple times over.

Congrats to both of you. You both looked great. Loved your outfits. Great cause and great success to you both! Congrats!

amazing.

Congrats to both of you!

26. B.o.B. says:

congrats! you two are adorable. i know this meant a lot to you. glad you had a great time and where can morgan and i get those tutus?

27. KatieA. says:

Congrats! Love the tutu’s and your attitudes! Truly inspirational – so happy for you both.
    Funny story, yesterday I had a 14 miler scheduled. I only do what I have to do on my training plan – I hate deviating, I get freaked out about injury and the such. Well my Garmin said I was done with about .4 miles to go. So I stoped running and walked home – something I never do, I usually try really hard to get close to my house with the right amount of miles. I thought of you that entire time becuase those .4 miles were the longest! I don’t think I could do what you did girly! Great job! :)

28. J says:

Love the skirts and it does make you look like you are in 3rd grade but they are cute! Congrats on walking so far! That is such a great accomplishment that you both did this!

29. kristen says:

Great outfits — as if you two beauties needed another reason to draw attention to your hottness!

30. Tara says:

That skirt better be ready for round 2 with the BARBIES!!!!!! haha Great job again my friend! You and the roomie ROCKED it!

31. Denise says:

WOW!! I’m so proud of you guys! What an experience. You both look adorable, too.

32. DUDE. You are my hero! How can you look so cute after walking that far for that long????? Ugh, I hate you. Except I don’t cuz you’re my KooHO.

Congrats!!!

P.S. this comment is kinda worthless, sorry.

33. cindy says:

your old yeller comment is priceless! you two managed to look cute the whole way through, strong work!

34. Marci says:

Oh I love those skirts!!

35. Yall are too presh and sooooo inspiring! Way to go!

36. jamie says:

You guys look a-freakin-dorable!

37. Sarah says:

great job to you and DJ!

38. ozrunner says:

awesome job, looks like you had fun…what a great event for a great cause.

39. CharmCityKim says:

Awesome job on finishing both days!

When I think of walking a marathon, it sounds easy but I guess when you really think about it… it is just prolonging the pain (10.5 hours?! yikes!). You are superwoman for not only doing that walk but then also walking an additional 13.1 miles the next day.

And I love the tutus!

40. Lacey says:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

this is incredible. great recap and photos and so wonderful that you and a friend did this. i have been wanting to do the breast cancer 3-day but haven’t been able to yet. i would think walking is MUCH harder!!!!! i would get so stiff- the sheer amount of time you are up and out and moving and still impact and… wow. that is a lot. of course i haven’t yet run a marathon.. i will be interested to hear what you say!

you guys are ADORABLE in your tutus!!

41. Rachael says:

oh the skirts! I might have to stop by Wally World and look into those skirts because I don’t know what I’m going to be for Halloween, but I’m sure I could think up something cute with that skirt …
    Congrats! You did great, you and DJ both :)

42. Felice says:

I am in love with your outfits!

Congrats on such a wonderful accomplishment!

43. Kevin says:

Great pictures. You and DJ did great putting in all those hours walking for such a great cause

44. Girl you two totally rock! Great job :) And great skirts :)

45. That tutu is fabulous! Great job on the walk!

46. rioruns says:

I’m a little behind on my blog reading- but congrats on finishing the 2 day walk! I’m sure your feet are thankful its over!

47. Ashley says:

I’m headed to Wal-Mart this week to get this skirt!!! It’s just what I’ve been looking for to complete my ensemble for the Disney’s Princess 1/2 Marathon in March. Gotta start early on the outfit. :)

48. RoadBunner says:

I am so behind on reading blogs…

Congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment for the two of you! It must have been so freakin’ hard since you’re normally not a walker! Dear God. That is a LONG time on your feet!

This is interesting since I did the Goofy Challenge (half then full marathons on consecutive days). I’m wondering if it is harder or easier to do the full first vs. second.

49. Melanie says:

Girl, I was so excited to read your recaps on this today! (I know I’m a little behind on blog reading…) Your outfits are sooooo super cute! I’m glad it all went well, and I know you must be so happy to have gotten to do this!