Every Training Cycle

It seems like every training cycle, no matter what you’re training for, it happens. Just like every other run you start out and things are going okay. I started out on my tempo run Thursday morning after having a good training run on Tuesday and just had that feeling. In the pit of my stomach, I just knew the run was going to be hard. I tried to get my head into the game to run and I just couldn’t flip on the switch to get my legs moving at a decent pace and feel good. Sometimes it happens in the warm up, and then by the time I’m warmed up, I can get going but that morning, I started already feeling defeated.

After the warm up, I decided I would do 4 miles at tempo instead of 6, to at least give it a shot. I ran my normal route and just tried to get into my head to make myself run like I have been and it just wasn’t happening. It was so frustrating and I just kept beating myself up every mile. I wasn’t running fast enough. I couldn’t get comfortable. I signed up without much training, I’m not ready to run that fast. A marathon is just SO far. I just got deeper and deeper into the negative zone about my upcoming race when I finally snapped out of it. I started the cool down and cut my run short. It wasn’t helping anything and it was only making me feel horrible.

I think a run like this happens every training cycle. You beat yourself up, question all your training and the distance you’re about to run. Normally, when I run I never think about any thing actually running related. I think about life, family, friends, work, the team I coach, but never really my upcoming race and today it was all I could think about, literally flooding my thoughts. It all just came out on this run, and I’m glad it did with some time left before race day. I can rebuild a little bit and make sure that my confidence is in the right place come race morning so I don’t question myself out there on the course and that I believe in myself.

Running Doesn't Build Character, It Reveals It.Today, I saw this quote and I really liked it. It stinks when these type of workouts happen but I’m glad I can move forward and hope to regain some confidence this weekend on my 18 miler!

10 Responses to Every Training Cycle

1. Tantra says:

You inspired me to sign up for my marathon the same wknd you are running, and I’m not going to lie, I frequently worry… but this is the thing.. we are runners, this is what we do… we got this! We are entitled to bad runs, bad days, bad races…but those bad ones make us appreciate the good ones even more.. good luck on your long run, I’ll be out there with ya, just in a different state.

2. AmyC says:

I absolutely had one of those runs. I have my first marathon may 25th, and that one long run a few weeks ago I was absolutely doubting my ability. I had a good meltdown…. and resolved to get back on the horse. My next long runs were fine! I’m now dealing with some nice blister problems 2 weeks before this damn race and that again has me in a stress mode – but Im gonna work it out and have faith i can do it…

3. Kelly says:

We all have runs like that. I firmly believe that the tough runs are what define us as runners and make us better. Anyone can run when it comes easy and feels good, but it takes real mental strength to power through the tough runs and not let them defeat you. I had more of them during in my last training cycle than ever before, which required me to learn how to dig deep and power through the doubt. The result on race day? A PR and my very first BQ. Don’t get me wrong–I still hate the tough runs, but at least now I can appreciate the role they play in my training.

4. Sarah says:

I had a run like that yesterday after my 10 mile run Wednesday! I have one very few weeks. Then get over it and tackle the next run!

5. ruthie says:

I’ve had a few not so good runs the past few weeks – including a horrific 22 miler last weekend. The negative thoughts about running and completing the marathon strong are definately in my head right now. I’m hoping these thoughts diminish soon with a few solids runs. I’m registered for the Mountains 2 Beach Marathon as well

6. It’s always nice to know that when you cross the finish line, you’re bringing to completion not just the miles in the race, but the training and experiences leading up to it. Bad days are part of the cycle, and you’ve put in so many quality runs this year to make this just a little bump in the road on your way to the finish line. Keep rocking it!

7. I love this quote! So true. Tempo runs are so hard. I haven’t done one for several months, but man do they improve speed!

8. The Silent Assassin says:

#word. Love the quote… You gave me a quote I’ll never forget, “Run with a purpose”. I’ll give you one that I probably already have given you… “You only get what the day gives you”. You are strong, fierce, and determined. Know that you inspire a lot of people D. I am one of them. We all have been there. You nailed it…that’s why it’s called a cycle. Relax, take a deep breath, re-lace and do work…I’ve seen the progression and your character. I’m positive it will all come back around for ya =).

9. Sophie Petit says:

Run with a Purpose, so true. Run and be motivated & enjoy life. Amazing job so far, you are a Machine!!! :D Keep up with the progression. What is the longest you have ran in a single day anyways ?

10. Christine says:

So true! I’m glad this happened now and not during the race. The mental game needs to be practiced just like the running. You got this! Believe!