My great aunt told me she really liked reading my cooking disasters/experiments/successes on the blog, so I’m going to keep posting them. It’s interesting to me to look back and see what I made as well, so therefore here comes another interesting one. So I found this recipe off pinterest, shocking, seems to be the place where I find all my recipes lately. With B being overly obsessed with “coconutties” aka Girl Scout Samoa Cookies. Therefore when he saw the picture he was very excited for me to make them.
I followed the recipe and it wasn’t hard to complete. There were a few steps but nothing crazy and I liked baking the ‘crust’ while completing the other part of the recipe. It basically is a shortbread mixture.
The crust, before it was baked. I also used parchment paper for the first time with this recipe. I did like how easy it was and the clean up is so much better. As the crust was baking, I made the coconut topping.
First, you toast the coconut, which was really easy and cool to see it toasty. :) I love coconut so it was delicious and I wanted to just eat the crispy shreds! I’ve never ‘toasted’ coconut myself, so that was fun.
Then you mix the toasty coconut shreds with the melted caramel. The one thing about this recipe is that is takes time. I had to wait for the crust to cool to put the coconut caramel concoction on top. I made sure it was cooled, and not warm at all. This is where I don’t know if I did something wrong or what happened, but I spread the coconut mixture on top and let it sit for a while, hoping it would come together… which it never really melded.
I don’t know why, but the top section and the bottom section stayed pretty much completely separated. I knew I wouldn’t be able to dip the bottoms in the chocolate like the picture above because it would make it break apart even more. That was kind of a bummer. I added chocolate to the top of them and placed them in the fridge.
We cut them all into little squares and yup, there was no way they were going to come together at all. Alas, B took them to work and the guys liked them, but they didn’t know why they came apart when they lifted them up to eat. It wasn’t terrible, but not how I envisioned them to work out.
Honestly, I have no idea why they didn’t stick together, but I think I will give them one more try to work, and if they don’t that time, I think I’m going to scrap the recipe. They are a good idea, and do taste good, but not sticking together is annoying and makes for a very messy treat. :/
Yesterday I took a rest day because I was feeling SO blah, and today it’s raining so hopefully softball is cancelled so I can go to the gym after work, I think I’m going to swim tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday.