#whyiwrite

Today’s post has nothing to do with running. Well here’s a running tidbit that I’m throwing out there quick. I’m slow and feel like a sloth when I run. Holy toledo, ran 3 miles the other day and ended up power walking like a 150 year old tortoise. What is wrong with me? I’ll get it together soon hopefully, before I turn prehistoric and just blow up like a brontosaurus.

So. That’s unrelated but today is National Day on Writing from the National Council of Teachers of English. Well this sounds like lots of fluff doesn’t it. BUT I have a point. Everyday we write. Emails, texts (a lot for me) notes, everything! I get a LOT of questions of why I blog and why do I post. I write so I can remember. That’s why I blog. I only blog for myself, and if you somehow crawl upon my weird space on the lovely internet (or is it internets? I never figured that one out) you can read or not read how ever much you’d like.

I write for myself. I write to remember. I write to look back on things that happened and be filled with the same emotion as if it’s happening again. You know that post about the Long Beach International City Bank Marathon when I broke 4 hours? I can read that and still tear up. It was my “Boston” moment. The post about losing my mom, my new job, getting engaged, and maybe one day when the show airs (in Feb, they said today :( ) I can look back on that and smile. I can find all my training runs, my weirdness and see my own personal growth online. It’s pretty crazy that I can write all it down, and use it as an online journal.

I still write this blog for myself. If no one read it, I would still write it. I do love writing, I did minor in creative writing in college and I have written for a few small magazines and random articles, but man, there is nothing like blogging where you can just blurt it all out, well only as fast as your fingers can type. It’s an outlet that I take for granted, and I love! Thank you all my readers for reading. Thank you for the kind words, the comments and thank you for letting me just be the weirdo that I am.

So why do you write? Think about all you write down and that you have the ability to do so, and be thankful. Something that we take for granted is so powerful!

That’s why I write, why I blog and how I remember.

10 Responses to #whyiwrite

1. Audrey says:

FEBRUARY???? Don’t they know how anxious we are to see it??? Maybe it was so uber romantic they are waiting to air it around V Day :)

Like you, I blog to remember. At least from the races part. Not comfortable yet with laying the rest of my life out there ;) Sometimes I also blog to hear feedback / exchange stories with others. Blogging is how I was able to find so many awesome like-minded peeps :)

2. Meaghan says:

I love this post :) Thank you!

3. @DaniRuns says:

I just posted about a sloth run I had the other day. I felt like I was running in slow motion and not on purpose either haha. Anyway great post! You are an amazing writer, weirdness and all. They do say birds of a feather flock together. I think we must keep coming back to read your posts because we are weirdos too ;)

darnit about your episode, maybe they are saving the best for last?

4. Linzay says:

I love this post. One of my faves. Makes me want to write even more than I normally do :)

And I cannot wait until your shows airs!

5. I love this — and I write for so many of the same reasons. I only wish I started sooner!!!

So sad we aren’t seeing your episode until February. But good things come to those that wait, right?? :)

6. ilovesteaks says:

yeah, I blog/write things down so I can remember as well. I use Facebook sort of like yellow sticky notes. Getting older sucks. :)

7. monika says:

Cute post :-)

I started writing to keep my family up to date but do love the journaling aspect of it all too!

8. Somehow I totally missed National Day on Writing – it’s not too late to give it a nod here, though!

I write all day long in some many different ways for so many different purposes. The writing I do on my blog is usually to capture what I’m feeling during my training. I write about scenic places my runs take me or how accomplished I feel after a particularly hard workout. I also use it as a tool to see what works, what doesn’t work, how long it takes to recover, etc. People don’t really read it, and that’s ok, because I really write it for myself.

I also keep a written journal for more personal things, and in addition to that, I have a notebook of story ideas. There are some days when I fill the pages of the notebook, and there are weeks and months when it goes untouched. I love working in it though, because I know that someday the words in that notebook will become a book.

Oh, and just for the record, I ran 2 miles today and felt like a sloth.

9. Naomi says:

I love that you write and I love “how” you write. It is articulate, simple, heartfelt and to the point.

10. Pingback: Day 25: Why I Write « No Longer Playing Grown-Up