Making Goals

So when it comes to life, I’m a big list maker, even if it’s for small things. Usually I have daily goals, weekly goals, monthly goals – all things I want try to accomplish. When I was pregnant with C, my goal was to get through birth. I was terrified of it and I didn’t read too much about it because I knew it’d freak me out. I wanted to go in with an open mind to whatever was going to happen. Same applies to running a race, I usually don’t look at a course map beforehand or else I overthink about the hills, or out and backs, and I get in my own head. With C, things went great and apparently I decided having a baby wasn’t all that bad and had another one pretty quickly.

Now with 2 kids, my days are a little more chaotic but I still go by my lists and goals. I feel like being realistic with goals is so important. B sometimes drives me a little crazy with how much he wants to get done immediately. Like, oh, we’re remodeling the kitchen? Let’s rip it apart 3 weeks before we move out! Not the brightest idea… but he means well. Right after adding A to our family, my daily goal was to take a shower, or remember to eat breakfast, haha.

To be honest, I feel like I have been pregnant for the past 3 years of my life.  The time between our girls was so short, and I didn’t lose all the weight after C, partially because I knew we were going to hopefully have another baby soon and I was SO tired all the time and not motivated at all to workout or run. I am so thankful for our family but man it did a bit of a wreck to my body and self confidence when I look in the mirror. I really want to work on getting back to where I’m a bit more comfortable with how I look and how my clothes fit. I know I carry all my weight in my mid-section and right now I feel like I look like an M&M!

As soon as I started running I started thinking about my goals. What did I want to accomplish and why was I running. First off, it’s a little ‘me’ time that I know is important to keep my sanity. Mentally, it helps me SO much. Even though right now I’m running with the stroller, it’s still time where no one is climbing on me, crying (for the most part), or needing anything. It’s time I can just think, get out of the house, and be semi-alone. I also know it will help me get my body somewhat back into shape, even if I have to be patient with myself and my current running ability. Bottom line is, I enjoy it SO much, even the crappy miles that aren’t fun to run.

I do well when I have something I’m working towards so I signed up for the La Palma 5K on the 4th of July. The competitive and sometimes dumb person inside me wanted to sign up for the 10K but I restrained and opted for the 5K. I know it will be easier for me and I’ll do better in that distance. I also am super aware of my mileage right now and not increasing my mileage too quickly to not get injured. I usually run this race and I’ve only missed it 2 years ago when I was pregnant with C. It gives me a good goal to work towards this next month and will keep my running consistent even though it’s definitely hard to get up in the morning and go when I’ve been getting up in the night with Alyssa!

My goals right now are just to keep running and making it a priority for me and hopefully to have a good race in a month! To keep being patient with myself and not put too much pressure on myself and to enjoy every mile as much as this girl does.

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

10 Comments

• Reply Katie Sharp

Danica, I have been reading your blog for a while now- I am also a teacher, weekend runner (half marathons mostly/1 full), cross country coach, and 30 something new mom! We had our little girl in August (2016). Pregnancy and post partum has been a real game changer. For one, I didn’t anticipate how much pain running while pregnant would give me. So, I just didn’t after my first trimester. It was super frustrating since I assumed that I was in shape, and would be able to run/stay active all 40 weeks. I have also really struggled with post partum weight loss. Running after delivering a 9lb baby + episiotomy = ouch. LOL! I am 9 months post partum now and finally feeling like I can set a small goal like a 5k for the summer. Just wanted to say thanks for posting this, and I love the tshirt you post for 5 on Friday. I LOL’d, because that is really my life right now. Also, my parents are originally Long Beach, CA natives, so it’s fun to read someone’s perspective living there. I was able to do the Seal Beach 15k a few years ago while they were still in CA. So much fun! Here’s to setting small goals and working up to larger ones!

June 3, 2017 at 4:30 am
    • Reply chicrunner

Ahhh, I totally know what you mean! I thought for sure I’d be the runner running at 38 weeks pregnant. I was so sick in the beginning by the time I started feeling better I was too big to run comfortably! And running after having a baby is just… weird, for a while. I will say, this second time around it’s much, much better, but possibly because I knew what to anticipate and how weird it would feel. You should set a goal for the Summer! It helps so much in running to know you have to do a race – at least for me :) So crazy how we are at the same place in life, even though it’s a crazy time, it’s so much fun too :)

June 4, 2017 at 2:17 pm
  • Reply Alison

I love lists and goals too! There’s nothing like a good set of goals to motivate you to push forward and reach for the sky :)

June 6, 2017 at 6:16 am
  • Reply adidas ultra

I really wanted to develop a small remark to be able to thank you for those magnificent facts you are writing on this site. My time intensive internet lookup has at the end of the day been rewarded with good insight to share with my company. I ‘d claim that many of us site visitors are truly blessed to dwell in a superb site with so many lovely individuals with good opinions. I feel quite grateful to have come across the web page and look forward to many more excellent times reading here. Thanks a lot again for everything.

July 10, 2018 at 9:54 am
  • Reply Adidas Originals NMD Runner Primeknit Sneakers Navy Blue Light Blue

It抯 onerous to search out educated people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you抮e talking about! Thanks

July 12, 2018 at 3:32 pm
  • Reply adidas ultra boost

I and my buddies appeared to be looking at the best secrets and techniques on your website and quickly developed a terrible feeling I never thanked the web blog owner for those secrets. My young boys became so happy to learn them and have now honestly been enjoying those things. Thanks for getting considerably helpful and also for obtaining these kinds of marvelous issues millions of individuals are really needing to know about. Our honest apologies for not expressing gratitude to you earlier.

July 14, 2018 at 8:56 pm
  • Reply yeezy boost

I want to show my passion for your generosity for visitors who require help on your subject. Your real dedication to getting the solution around appears to be astonishingly useful and have continuously encouraged professionals much like me to get to their endeavors. Your personal invaluable help and advice implies a great deal to me and even further to my fellow workers. Warm regards; from all of us.

July 19, 2018 at 6:29 am
  • Reply nike air max 2017

I really wanted to make a quick comment to be able to express gratitude to you for some of the remarkable tips you are giving here. My prolonged internet look up has at the end of the day been paid with excellent insight to talk about with my family and friends. I would declare that we website visitors are unequivocally blessed to live in a fabulous place with so many lovely people with useful ideas. I feel very fortunate to have seen your web site and look forward to some more cool moments reading here. Thank you once more for a lot of things.

July 19, 2018 at 6:36 am
  • Reply nike dunks

I’m just commenting to let you understand of the helpful experience our child encountered studying your site. She noticed numerous issues, not to mention what it is like to possess a very effective helping mindset to get many people without problems grasp chosen complicated subject areas. You truly exceeded people’s expected results. Many thanks for presenting these informative, dependable, educational and also unique tips about that topic to Gloria.

July 20, 2018 at 12:03 am
  • Reply adidas nmd

I enjoy you because of all your work on this blog. Gloria takes pleasure in participating in internet research and it is easy to understand why. All of us hear all regarding the powerful method you offer very helpful tactics on your website and as well strongly encourage response from visitors about this area then my girl is now starting to learn a lot. Take pleasure in the remaining portion of the new year. You have been conducting a dazzling job.

July 20, 2018 at 6:13 pm