Fitting it all in

Every day I hope to fit in a run. About 50% of the time I get it done. Being a mom and juggling life is just plain hard and I’m still trying to figure it out. I think it’s constantly changing and maybe I’ll just be figuring it out for the rest of my life. I am so thankful for my little babe but I’m also a 100% a better person when I get the chance to run. With that being a harder thing to accomplish these days, juggling all things important to me and prioritizing has become key to my day. Throw in the rainy weather we’ve been having lately, and I’m the driver of the struggle bus. Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 11.07.48 AM

I totally understand the saying “Clean house, put together wife, or dinner on the table. Pick two but you can’t have all three.” It is hard to make it all happen when your interrupted by a shorter than normal nap or a fussy baby. And right when you seem to have it figured out… it changes. I sometimes find myself struggling with the tasks at home and feeling overwhelmed. I’ve found that I need to stand back, take a breath and pick my battles. I would like to vacuum every day. I’d like to fold the clean laundry as soon as the timer goes off. I’d like to make a bunch of the new recipes I just pinned on Pinterest. Then there’s my devotional, the dirty dishes, and countless chores and tasks. Not to mention a husband to stay connected with as I’m listening to the “Beep, Beep, Beep” sounds of her puppy car for the 215th time today. And a shower? That’s one that falls to the wayside far more often than I’d like to admit.

I’m so happy we’ve come as far as we have and I feel like I am am finally adjusting to the new role as mom. She turns the wheel on her puppy car. She’s kind of trying to roll over. She smiles so much and makes fun noises. Yesterday she laughed ten times! It’s these little moments that I don’t want to wish away and I know I need to soak them in because in a blink of an eye my sleeping all day newborn turned into an infant and before soon we’ll be celebrating her first birthday.

It’s easy to get lost in the mundane and feel overwhelmed. The last thing I feel like I have time to do is run, but it’s the number one thing that makes me feel like I have energy, makes me happy, and releases a lot of stress. So when I stand back at 5 pm and look at the clutter on the table and the fact I haven’t been to the market in four days, I need to keep reminding myself that it’s okay to take the 30 minutes for myself and get out my running stroller and just go. The clutter will still be there when I return. To be honest it will most likely be there for the next few days. I can always eat cereal for dinner.

Finding that balance of this new life has been a challenge. But I know the best thing for me is to take a deep breath, take the extra time to go for a run and not worry about the little things. It’s only the 2nd week of January but so far so good with my goal of running 3 days a week!

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

6 Comments

• Reply Bonnie Dewkett

Thank you for this. I’m not a new mom, but I have a lot of things going on and I am realizing, this week, I can’t do it all. I just can’t…and it’s making those decision and finding the balance between your needs and every thing else that needs your attention. I think one of the biggest things is we don’t talk about the struggle.

Oh and what devotional are you using? I’m looking for a new one!

January 13, 2016 at 12:24 pm
  • Reply Christy

I know this feeling all too well! Lately for me it’s more like I just need to work out, whether that means running or something else! It’s challenging when I need to work from home during nap time and when it’s freezing outside right now which means I can’t take my little guy out for a run with me. I just have to try harder to make time for the things that are important to me, but I also think it will always be a struggle! Some seasons are easier than others.

January 13, 2016 at 12:35 pm
  • Reply lucky13

I can totally relate – my kids are 4 and 5 but the constant feeling of barely keeping my head above water is something I have to face every day. I feel always stressed and like about half of my plans don’t work out but running helps me not to worry so much about all that. I had to get used to dirty dishes piling up (gross), showers less often than I will admit to anyone, and am still getting used to having to make choices between getting the kids’ homework done and getting a homemade meal on the table. Should be able to do both right? Nope. But I 100 percent agree that running makes us better moms and better people. That one is worth a high place on the priority list. I’m the same way – aim for 5 runs a week, get 3. It’s frustrating to have workout plans fall through but I don’t feel like I lose any fitness or benefits doing 3 runs per week with a little x training like yoga and weights at home. I like to think of it as a low-injury-risk plan. You’re doing a great job!

January 13, 2016 at 7:09 pm
  • Reply Allison

Dont beat yourself up – we all feel like we’re constantly battling against dirty washing, ironing pile, shopping, cooking, cleaning etc., etc., etc.! and some “me time” always seems to be at the bottom of the list and the first thing to be discarded. But hey, be a little selfish, push yourself up the list, and get out there. No matter how much we cook, clean, iron etc., today, at the blink of an eye its all there again tomorrow! And if we’re in a happier mood because we’ve been out for our run, it doesn’t seem quite so daunting. You’re doing a fabulous job :-)

January 14, 2016 at 7:05 am
  • Reply Mark

Trying to do too much… it’s a classic problem, one that I’ve been dealing with lately myself. I’ve found the key is to make a list of all the things you think you need to do each day and figure out which ones are really the most important to you. You might be surprised by what you discover just by doing that (I know I was).

January 14, 2016 at 5:57 pm
  • Reply Monika

I’m still trying to figure out how to fit runs in and I have a marathon in 3 weeks. EEK!! My biggest regret from my maternity leave was not leaving the house more and not making working out more of a priority. For 3 months I barely left the house during the day because I was so afraid I’d be unprepared if the baby needed something. Which is silly, I could go to Starbucks a few blocks away and if she freaked out I could always just go home. But I didnt, I stayed home way too much. And since I was home I was OCD about making sure the house was neat as a pin. In between the baby sleeping I was folding laundry, washing dishes, replying to emails, etc. When I went back to work my husband took two weeks off to stay home with the baby and he’d take her to the park, take her to breakfast, go on walks. All things I wish I had done. But instead I was neurotically washing dishes. So as someone who was doing the things you feel kinda bad about not doing, let me tell you that by having them done you don’t feel that much more fulfilled. :0) I wish I had done more fun things with the baby and had gotten out my running shoes more. Looking forward to hearing more about your running momventures! :o)

January 20, 2016 at 2:23 pm