Taking time away from running

When I blog, I usually pretty much stick to talking about running. So the fact that I’m not running much right now leaves me with, what I feel like, little to blog about. I have tried to run and usually it just turns into a walk. Now that I’ve accepted that it has become much easier to do and I enjoy it more, but I still really miss running. I have continued to feel pretty sick, so I know I made the right decision about Boston, which I’m glad about. I was kind of worried I’d wake up one day and feel completely normal and have a lot of regrets, but that hasn’t happened at all. At the same time, it has been hard to keep getting the emails and seeing all the excitement leading up to the race.

I still get quite a big dose of running by coaching the high schoolers daily, but I miss going out and just being able to do a 3-6 miler in the mornings or evenings. I have come to realize that it was really ‘me’ time. I got to sort out my thoughts, enjoy the weather, and just get lost in the area I was running in. I keep hoping to feel better to try to go to the gym, or try to run more, but I just always get set back with feeling sick, or getting a headache, or right now I’m dealing with a cold I’ve had for two weeks and then I can’t make it. I’m going to try to go to the gym this week and try going on the elliptical and see how I do on that.

B and I had a great Easter though. Saturday we went to church and had a big dinner at his parents house and then on Sunday he worked so I went down to the station to see him for a while. It was a great day and though I have this darn cold, we’ve been having such nice weather and it was good to see our families. Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.03.17 PMSo that’s what is up with my exciting, non running filled life. Without running there isn’t AS much to talk about here on the blog… but I’m finding a new normal and I’m sure I’ll have more to post about soon! :)

Previous Post Next Post

12 Comments

• Reply Naomi

Even though you may not be running much, I’m still interested in reading posts about you! I’m sure your long time readers feel the same way! Hope you feel better soon!

April 6, 2015 at 9:09 pm
  • Reply Nicole

Baby updates!!!

April 6, 2015 at 10:07 pm
  • Reply Christine

I was not able to run during my pregnancy as well, in my case my lower abs really hurt and it was too painful. Once I decided it’s not about me anymore and taking care of the baby is my new priority, it got easier. And once my daughter was born, I was shocked how easy it was to get back to running. And now we are out running almost daily, she enjoys it as much as I do. I hope the Boston Marathon let’s you defer for a year and then you have not only B at the finish line, but also your little baby!

April 7, 2015 at 3:45 am
  • Reply Jillian

I’m sorry you’re feeling kind of bummed about your running (or lack of it) right now. I can definitely relate, but at some point during my pregnancy I realized I was really running just because I loved it so much and it made me feel like me, even if it was only a couple of slow miles. I hope you’ll find that too!

April 7, 2015 at 5:20 am
  • Reply Stacey

I am glad you are still blogging, your’s was one of the first blogs I ever read and you seem like such a fun person, I enjoy reading anything you write, keep blogging!

April 7, 2015 at 10:47 am
  • Reply Sarah @RunFarGirl

The first trimester can be so hard! And the way you’re feeling is completely normal:) I’m so glad that you were able to feel good about your decision regarding Boston, and I completely understand that feeling of “what if I feel great and regret it?” But I think letting your body just do it’s thing is the most important part of pregnancy.

April 7, 2015 at 6:38 pm
  • Reply the silent assassin

Ah…I’ll keep reading. Even if i may be the only dude!?

April 7, 2015 at 9:17 pm
  • Reply CARLA

(((((we will love your new normal JUST AS MUCH))))

April 8, 2015 at 2:57 am
  • Reply Britt @ SparklesaurusTreks

Aw, keep your head up! We love reading whatever you share – even if running isn’t involved. You’re still a real runner. You’re interesting to us and we love that you share your life with us.

April 8, 2015 at 8:33 pm
  • Reply Jenny

Hang in there! I’m a mama of three little boys who are aged four and younger, so I know the busyness that comes with parenthood, personal time, career, and squeezing in runs! You are doing great, and I have no doubt that you will continue a healthy balance as you enter this next stage of your life. It’s all about your priorities. =) GOOD LUCK, and keep writing if you feel up to it! I love to read your posts!

April 9, 2015 at 7:57 pm
  • Reply Nicole

I’m sure it’s super hard not running Boston – but the baby will be worth it! You’ll qualify again and it’ll be that much more special!

And I secons what the other Nicole said – you can blog about babg updates!! :)

April 13, 2015 at 7:37 pm
  • Reply Julie

Just caught up with your blog and wanted to congratulate you on the upcoming bundle of joy! Yes, it’s sad to have to shift your focus for a while, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s just a blip and you’ll be back to doing what you want at some point. At least that’s what I keep telling myself, with a six-month old and no time/energy to do anything else but survive. Having a child is worth it, though!

May 12, 2015 at 10:32 am