A big sigh

Yesterday was a tough day for me. I was pretty emotional watching the elites finish Boston and shed a few tears. It was hard because when I qualified last May, this race was all I was thinking about running wise. I knew the day would be hard for me, and I was dreading it since the time I made the decision I wasn’t going to be able to run. It was tough, but it was also a great reminder to me that I qualified once and I can do it again. It was also great to see some of my friends run and I was so happy that they were able to run the race. I tried to focus on the fact that I did qualify and that there is a lot of exciting things happening this year for us, even if Boston wasn’t one of them.

At the end of the day, I was glad it was over and breathed a big sigh of relief because I made it through the whole day and it was something I was so nervous about for so long. The one reassuring thing was that I know I couldn’t have run the race at this stage. I am still not feeling excellent and running has been very challenging. Trying to push my body that far would have been miserable so that really reminded me that I was doing the right thing. As for running lately, it’s still pretty limited but I think now that Boston is over I will feel better about running less. I’m running about 10 miles a week and walking about 5 miles a week. I usually go out to do a 2-3 miler and then end up walking a mile after. It’s nice to be able to get out and still run a little bit and the weather lately has been exceptional. We have just finished up our invitational track schedule so my Saturdays are going to be more free, so that means I can hopefully go out for a longer run/walk. It’s a different type of mindset that I’ve had to develop but I am starting to enjoy it more and embrace what I can do!

Previous Post Next Post

6 Comments

• Reply Britt @SparklesaurusTreks

Excellent job, thinking positively. I’m sure yesterday was hard but I think you have the right attitude. One of my fave mantras lately is “I’ve done this before, I can do it again.” Sounds very fitting for you and a BQ. :)

April 21, 2015 at 9:54 am
  • Reply CARLA

HUGS AND ADMIRATION at your attitude and resiliency.

April 22, 2015 at 3:02 am
  • Reply Sarah

Way to stay positive. You will get to Boston someday! Running during pregnancy isn’t the same for everyone. I learned that even though I had expectations and hopes for running during my very recent pregnancy our bodies ultimately determine what we can actually do. Enjoy this less pressure running time and run for you and what feels right for baby! Be proud of the miles you do accomplish!! Soon you’ll be holding that little one and those missed miles and races won’t seem as important. I type this as I have my 3 day old son snuggling on my chest. It is so worth it!!!

April 22, 2015 at 8:25 am
  • Reply Carina

When I was pregnant, I wasn´t able to do a single physical activity. I had morning sickness 24/7. I can understand how much you missed the Boston running and how hard that thought could’ve been for you. The important thing is that you had a very positive mindset, which is awesome.

Considering that I wasn´t able to do much, It is great that you can still do your runs and be very active during your pregnancy.

Way to go!

As Britt says, you have done it, you can do it again!

April 22, 2015 at 1:09 pm
  • Reply The Silent Assassin

I actually thought about you during Boston. I tracked you when you qualified and I was so thrilled and inspired. I bet it was hard seeing all the social media feeds with all the blue and yellow. It was for me and I didn’t even qualify… =) My age group has BQ’s at 3:15. Yeah, good luck to me =). Have faith… i do. You will do it D! So… since you qualified and didn’t run this year, does that really mean it’s gone and done? You have to qualify and go through the whole process again?

April 28, 2015 at 9:25 am
  • Reply Jenn

Inspirational, Thanks for the candid words. We all have down days, good to relate.. Just want to throw out some info on foot care, It’s very important to take care of your feet. Check out our informative site at http://www.fungusfreedom.com. And thanks….

May 11, 2015 at 9:49 pm