Training for Boston… Where I’m At

I started getting back into the swing of training in January. After having a decent base I knew with a few tempo runs I would be able to get right back to where I was and it would help build my confidence. I was motivated and looking forward to training again and I kept the finish line in April on my mind to keep me motivated through the yucky runs. Throughout the month I got in some decent runs and my mileage was increasing, but I felt really tired and out of shape. I figured it was just because I hadn’t run that far in a while. I put together a training plan focusing on a few different things throughout training including a few tempo runs, some long runs and some track workouts to switch things up. I gave myself time to get through the sluggy miles with the hopes that things would turn around after getting into a routine. I finally had a great 10 miler mid way through January and thought to myself, okay I’m over the hump!

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 9.04.51 AMSomething was just off though. I went to the doctor to talk about how I was feeling and he told me I was 7 weeks pregnant. It was very unexpected but we are very excited! I am due at the end of September. This really explained a lot about how tired I was and how I felt like I just couldn’t get my body to go all of January, which made me feel better. We had our first Doctor appointment at the beginning of February and I asked about running and moving forward with working out and of course, Boston. Everything was approved as long as I felt fine and they were happy I was running and working out regularly already.

Sadly, throughout the entire month of February, things have only seemed to get progressively harder. Every run in SO difficult and I feel like I can never catch my breath. After a not so great 12 miler, I came home and cried. I truly doubted if I could really run Boston and that’s where I seem to be right now. I feel hungover all day, but I’m not throwing up. I gag a lot especially running. Feeling that way for weeks is a little tough and didn’t help with my motivation. I have talked to a few people about it who have run throughout their pregnancy, and many tell me that it gets much easier once you’re in your second trimester. I just entered that stage, so I am hopeful that things are on the up and up and I will be feeling better soon!

B has asked me a lot about when I will make a decision about running the race and I honestly don’t know. It has been the first question everyone we’ve told that I’m pregnant has asked. “What About Boston?” and to be honest, it was one of the first things that crossed my mind when I found out. I know that I was feeling more and more behind and getting discouraged by not being able to get in the miles I was planning. I think the best thing for me to do at this point it start over and work my way up to a long run closer to race day. I know I was hoping to run fast {around my BQ time} at Boston and so my workouts reflected that and I had quite a few long runs in my plan to make me feel confident come race day. I still have time to get in some great runs and I hope that I start feeling a little better and have a little more energy so I can still run Boston comfortably in April! I know at the end of the day, even if I don’t run the marathon, knowing I qualified still means something so special to me, and I have to focus on that.

Previous Post Next Post

35 Comments

• Reply Karen

OMG! Congratulations! Just keep your head up and you do you. Boston will be there this year, next year, and many years to come.

March 11, 2015 at 9:23 am
  • Reply Scallywag

Ahhh Congratulations! I’ve been reading your blog for a long time and I’m very happy for you, but totally understand that you could be worried about your big chance at Boston (though if you can qualify once I know you can do it again!)

Congratulations to you and B :-)

March 11, 2015 at 9:24 am
  • Reply Sandy

I AM SO EXCITED FOR BOTH OF YOU! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I think Boston is still doable but you and the little one come first :) Take care and hopefully you will keep us posted of your progress throughout the pregnancy. Take care! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

March 11, 2015 at 9:28 am
  • Reply Joselyn

Congratulations! I ran until a few weeks before I delivered with both my boys. I ran competitively in high school and college as well and continued competing in longer races after college. When I got pregnant I didn’t know how it would affect my running. It definitely changes in terms of pace, but it’s totally doable. I had to learn to run without a watch and just try to stay within a good heart rate. The tiredness will most likely go away after the first trimester and come back again closer to the the end of the third. I also learned to run closer to bathrooms, especially on the last semester when the baby likes pushing on the bladder :)

March 11, 2015 at 9:35 am
  • Reply Sesa

Congratulations, Danica! I’ve been following your blog since its early days … reading about your running adventures has kept me motivated throughout the years. Really happy for you.

March 11, 2015 at 9:46 am
  • Reply Danielle (daniruns)

Oh my goodness!!!!! Congratulations!!! You know what, you worked your a$& off to qualify and that alone is such a huge accomplishment and inspiration. But if you decide to go to Boston and just run/walk the race, that will still probably be one of the coolest experiences ever and to have baby with you too! Not many kids can say they’ve participated in the Boston marathon. I do know a lot of people who have done the Galloway run/walk method and sing its praises. Maybe that’s an option for you :) either way you rock! Congrats to you and B

March 11, 2015 at 9:52 am
  • Reply Jillian

The same thing happened to me last year! Everything just felt weird… I thought it was a winter slump and wouldn’t you know?! My son was born September 23. I have to say, the fatigue lasted my entire pregnancy and didn’t let up in the second trimester, but I realized I felt better when I ran. I ran until 34 weeks and walked daily for the rest. I felt strong going in to deliver the baby and my body bounced back pretty quickly after, even though I had to take 10 weeks off exercise for recovery. Running definitely kept me sane through my pregnancy though! Congratulations!!

March 11, 2015 at 10:02 am
  • Reply Jaime

Congrats!! The second trimester was definitely better for me. I still ran (shorter distances than you’re doing, though) and I walked the day before I was induced.

It’ll all work out. I hope you’re feeling better soon and I can’t wait to continue reading your updates! :)

March 11, 2015 at 10:11 am
  • Reply Amanda - RunToThefinish

BOMBSHELL and you just slid it in there like hey no big whop. Congrats my friend!!!

March 11, 2015 at 10:16 am
  • Reply Sarah

After reading your post the other day I was thinking… I wonder if she’s pregnant… but then dismissed it because of Boston, & because everyone around me keeps getting pregnant so I feel like I keep thinking that’s what’s going on with everyone & it was probably just me being crazy… but I was right!! Yea! It will be so cool if you can get through Boston (run/walk or otherwise) while preggers :)

March 11, 2015 at 10:43 am
  • Reply Kimberly @ Healthy Strides

Congratulations! I was training aggressively (for me) when I found out I was pregnant with No. 2 this summer. I kept up the schedule through the first trimester exhaustion and ran my second fastest half marathon at 12 weeks. I had been hoping for a PR but with a bump, it wasn’t going to happen. Just let your body dictate the training and recognize some days will feel great, others not. Best wishes on Boston!

March 11, 2015 at 10:46 am
  • Reply Jackie

Woohoo! Danica, I’ve been reading since you were in LAS&F magazine (2009?) and rarely comment, but I have to say congratulations! I’m so amused by how you keep your personal biz separate from your running blog (I remember being shocked by your engagement too). Anyway, I’ve recently been re-reading some of your old blog posts as I’m getting back into running after taking almost a year off since my son was born–you are still my go-to blog for running inspiration. I’m looking forward to reading about your running Boston, through pregnancy and beyond. Congrats again!

March 11, 2015 at 10:57 am
  • Reply Laren

Oh wow!!! Many congrats to you both – a very exciting time.

March 11, 2015 at 11:33 am
  • Reply Natalie @ Never Serious Blog

Oh my gosh! I like how nonchalantly you threw that in there, CONGRATULATIONS!

March 11, 2015 at 12:00 pm
  • Reply Jen@milesandblessings

AHHHHH!!!!! Congrats!!!!! That is SO exciting!!!!:)

March 11, 2015 at 12:07 pm
  • Reply Stacey

Congrats! that is so awesome, hey do your best whatever happens, happens it’s out of your hands.

March 11, 2015 at 12:22 pm
  • Reply the silent assassin

Congrats to the both of you! PregoChicRunner!

March 11, 2015 at 4:48 pm
  • Reply Julie

Congrats!!

March 11, 2015 at 5:09 pm
  • Reply Tiffany

Oh wow! Congrats on the pregnancy. I too found I was pregnant with my second while training for the Marine Corps Marathon. I felt terrible and slow during a 15 mile run. By that time, I knew my body well enough to know I was pregnant because I only felt that way while running pregnant. I didn’t end up running the Marine Corps Marathon because I didn’t feel good while running. However, since having two kids I will say that I’m faster than I ever was pre pregnancy and 10 lbs lighter too. I guess I don’t have as much time to eat. I’ve PRed for my 5k, 10k, 1/2 and full since having kids. Point being, you will run Boston. It may not be this April, but you will in the future. Enjoy your pregnancy. There will always be a marathon (even Boston), but you can’t say the same for being pregnant. Invest in a good jogging stroller, too. B.O.B is the best!

March 11, 2015 at 5:37 pm
  • Reply Christine

Oh my god, congratulations!! That is so exciting! I thought I would run during my pregnancy but I couldn’t. I was never sick but super tired. I just felt it was not a good idea to run and decided to take a break from running. The baby’s health was more important to me. I say go with your gut! You will know what is right or wrong. In doubt, don’t do it. Hope you are feeling great!

March 12, 2015 at 6:18 am
  • Reply Laurie

Congratulations!!! Boston will always be there & just knowing you qualified means a great deal. I really enjoy reading your posts and have kept me motivated as I get ready to run my first marathon on Sunday!

March 12, 2015 at 3:45 pm
  • Reply Naomi

I had to read this twice! Congratulations! I’m so happy for you!

March 12, 2015 at 9:07 pm
  • Reply Lauren @ sassy molassy

Ah,congrats Danica! That’s exciting, even if it was unexpected! I am 28 weeks along and was able to run normal(ish) for the first 20 weeks or so, but after that wogging became my reality. Long runs definitely got hard around 10-12 weeks with the extra stress on the pelvis. But I know some people can keep on running just fine the majority of their pregnancy. Hope all goes well!

March 12, 2015 at 9:43 pm
  • Reply Sarah @RunFarGirl

I qualified for Boston last May and let go of my dream of running Boston when I found out I was pregnant in early August. I’m due two weeks after Boston, so running was out of the question. But letting go was a little hard. I’ve never run a marathon pregnant but I have run a few half marathons and the thought of running those distances seems in comprehensible in the first trimester mostly from all the symptoms you’re describing BUT it does get better in the second trimester. It really does. You’ll still feel slow and out of breath but the distances you want to run won’t feel quite so difficult and your energy will return. It’s hard to let go of those dreams but also fun to be on this journey with your little one:)

March 14, 2015 at 4:17 pm
  • Reply Karin

Congratulations! I started following you on Instagram, and you’ve been a motivation in my own running. I wish you all the best with your pregnancy and your decision to go to Boston! Take care and good luck!

March 14, 2015 at 7:39 pm
  • Reply Beth

Congrats!!! That is so exciting and wonderful!!

March 14, 2015 at 8:09 pm
  • Reply Mariem H

I know the off feeling due to pregnancy, it’s not fun but it definitely gets easier! Keep your head up, everything will fall into place. Congratulations on the wonderful news!!!!!!!!!

March 15, 2015 at 6:30 am
  • Reply Amy

Everyone who has said it gets better in the second trimester is right! I ran with so much more energy when I was in my 2nd. Do what you can and just think, you have a built in running partner who never talks to much :) congratulations to you both!

March 15, 2015 at 6:39 am
  • Reply Emily

CONGRATS!! I found myself in a similar boat in 2011, but due in October. I had qualified for Boston with a 3:29 and had pre-pregnancy hopes of a 3:35-ish finish. I threw that out the window and just kept up with my training (with doctor’s blessing), and just cut out the tempo runs. I completed Boston and it was still an absolutely incredible experience, and I get to say that my son “ran” two marathons before his birth ;) I was able to keep up with running (well, waddling by that point) until about two weeks before giving birth. Just know that if your Boston experience doesn’t turn out exactly as you’d hoped, you may still find it to be completely amazing (plus your friends will think you are a total bad @ss for having run it pregnant)! And you are right- absolutely give yourself credit for having qualified and know that that accomplishment can never be taken away from you! Wishing you a happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy- don’t hesitate to reach out if you want to talk about the experience!

March 16, 2015 at 2:38 pm
  • Reply Emily

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! This is the best news!!! I think you are an amazing woman, and you will be a phenomenal mother! While I hope to see you in Boston, I mostly pray that you and your growing little person (and your husband) have the healthiest and happiest next 6 months!!! Eeeeeeek!!! (I love babies!)

March 16, 2015 at 4:28 pm
  • Reply Yo Momma Runs

Congratulations! When I ran Boston, I decided to not worry about pace at all, and just taking it slow and enjoying the course and the people was so perfect. I highfived a whole chain of kids at Boston College for like half a mile and so much other random awesomeness that never would have happened if I was trying to run a certain time. So if you feel comfortable running the distance, going slower could give you an even better experience than you would have had originally!

March 16, 2015 at 7:31 pm
  • Reply Laura

Congratulations!!!!! So exciting!!!!! I hope everything works with Boston and that you start to feel more energy soon.

March 17, 2015 at 5:39 pm
  • Reply Janice

Congrats!! Sorry running is hard right now. Hopefully you can still run Boston even if it is at a slower pace. That would be something exciting to tell your future little one that he/she ran Boston with you.

March 18, 2015 at 8:54 am
  • Reply Kristin

My husband is training and he makes it through by mocking himself every step of the way. Literally! http://www.madvoweldisease.com/not-fast-not-furious-marathon-training/

Best of luck to you!

March 18, 2015 at 7:45 pm
  • Reply Nicole

Congratulations!! So very exciting! It’s hard to have to scale back on running and I can’t imagine having to put your Boston dream on hold but your little one will be so worth it!!

April 6, 2015 at 10:06 pm