Making a Training Plan to Fit your Lifestyle

Throughout the years I always get asked who makes my training plans. I’ve made most of mine myself and I find that when you take the time to make them yourself with a little bit of knowledge, they fit better to your lifestyle and goals. I know that I get burned out on following a training plan easily. I don’t know why but I get so overwhelmed and start getting a negative feeling towards running. I skip one run, then another, then another, then feel so far ‘behind’ that I cannot make it back up and get even more frustrated. I’ve found a few things that help me when making a training plan and I hope they can help you too!

A few tips to help you make a training plan that fits your lifestyle1. Be specific with your goals. What are they? Do you want to run longer? Do you want to get faster? Run injury free? Run happy? Once I usually figure out my goal for my race, I start putting in my workouts on my calendar. For me, usually my goal is to stay happy and make each workout count. I don’t over do it when it comes to working out because I know I’ll end up hating running, which is not how I want to feel. To keep me happy when in a training cycle I can only run 3-4 days a week. If I ‘have’ to run more, I start getting really tired of running. This way I can still enjoy running and look forward to it because I’m not having to fit in a run every day. When I’m not running as a part of a plan, I can run 4-5 days a week with no problem. I don’t know why my mindset changes in a training plan, but it just does and I’ve come to realize that and now I make sure not to over do it.

2. Make a reasonable schedule. Think about what you do currently. If you’re running 7 days a week, you can put in 5 solid training days, no problem. If you can barely fit in 3 workouts a week, make those 3 workouts count towards something by doing speedwork and make sure you don’t miss a run. Personally, it’s hard for me to fit in running while I coach. Even though I usually can run with the team during Cross Country, track season is much more difficult. Also, all our meets are our Saturdays, so I have to take that into account too. When planning your schedule, look at the holidays, birthdays, and vacations you might have coming up. Don’t plan a long run when you know you won’t be able to do it. Change it to another day so when it comes you won’t be struggling to get it done or feel guilty for not being able to do it.

3. Always do a warm up and cool down! I truly feel that this is what helped me run better when training for Mountains to Beach. I’d never run this way before and it really helped me nail my faster workouts and get in mileage at the same time. It helps to get myself ‘ready’ to run and tell myself I only have to ‘push myself’ for X amount of miles. When you’re planning your workout, start with a 1 to 2 mile warm up and then do some faster miles or a ladder at the track, then end with a mile cool down.

At the end of the day, DO WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU! It’s easy to compare yourself to fellow runners and feel like you’re not good enough but running is all about YOU! I’ve see so many training plans that people follow that make them burned out on running. If you are feeling run down, take a rest day. Find out what makes you run the best and do it. Google can be your best friend when making a training plan and don’t feel like you can’t make up your own plan. I love tweaking and working off of a bunch of plans I find online. Adding in fun workouts that are different, or new to me keep things fresh. I usually ask a few fellow runners to look over my plan to see how it looks to them and they always offer their support and a few suggestions as well. It’s so important to remember that running is all about YOU so making a plan that it tailored to your goals and needs will allow you to run happy and healthy.

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

313 Comments

• Reply auto insurance rates Waldorf MD

Just this week I spoke with someone who suggested adding a resource page to my site. Information like this could form a resource page for some of us.RobRob Berman recently posted..

July 19, 2018 at 12:45 pm
  • Reply auto owners insurance Broomfield CO

Tuve el placer de conocerte hace bastante tiempo y tengo el honor de llamarme igual que vos. Recuerdo tu sonrisa y supe de tu amor por tu pueblo. Te mando un beso y abrazo enorme desde muy lejos

July 19, 2018 at 1:11 pm
  • Reply auto insurance quotes Longview TX

Prediction: in approximately 2 weeks, Lincoln will be in the 3rd or 4th spot. There’s just no way that movie can maintain its buzz with a lack of genuine love. Their method of rolling it out is idiotic: “Oh, we’ll put it in 3000 theatres once it’s out of the top 10 and The Hobbit, Django, Les Mis, This is 40, and Zero Dark Thirty have opened”.

July 19, 2018 at 1:28 pm
  • Reply free car insurance quotes Sicklerville NJ

What purpose does … What purpose does the counting serve? “Counting in order to count” would actually mean that there is no specific purpose to it. (It’s comparable to “Why are you singing?” -”Just because I want to.”) Thanks for your explanation

July 19, 2018 at 2:17 pm
  • Reply low income car insurance dmv Cypress TX

Så mye fint du har laget. Fiona kjolen var nydelig i en lekker farge.Likte også godt bildet av de to vennene. Heldige er de barn som har et dyr å vokse opp med.Ha en fin søndag.

July 19, 2018 at 2:35 pm
  • Reply non owners car insurance quotes Liverpool NY

Well I just made a search on internet, and saw that quill knobs were found on a well preserved Velociraptor in 2007.So there were feathers present after all.

July 19, 2018 at 4:01 pm
  • Reply cheap auto insurance quotes Hialeah FL

I feel like you could probably teach a class on how to make a great blog. This is fantastic! I have to say, what really got me was your design. You certainly know how to make your blog more than just a rant about an issue. Youve made it possible for people to connect. Good for you, because not that many people know what theyre doing.

July 19, 2018 at 4:34 pm
  • Reply us agency car insurance Lindenhurst NY

Whoa! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

July 19, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  • Reply cheapest auto insurance in Denton TX

PATTI very well done!It gets your readers thinking positively (like your brain article) about taking leadership to improve the global village. Mahalo, Tom

July 19, 2018 at 7:01 pm
  • Reply look auto insurance Rochester MI

Wow! This could be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Wonderful. I am also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort.

July 19, 2018 at 8:05 pm
  • Reply autokredit rechner

I’m just curious, if you were to leave Armor Games, could you make a sequel to Armor Mayhem (under sponsorship from another site)?If I were you, I’d definitely consider making your own portal and distributing games under your own brand. Ninja Kiwi didn’t sell their soul to Max Games or Armor Games and they do very well on their own.

July 19, 2018 at 8:39 pm
  • Reply cheapest car insurance in Jenison MI

March 30, 2008 – 7:57 pm Hey Matt- I think with breaking it down to sections and allowing maximum interaction (isn’t that what this conference is about?) … you’ll be just fine. Local search as the topic should provide a ton of great questions. I can’t count the number of conferences I’ve been at with more value in the Q&A time then the presentation. Real life examples and challenges track so much better with the audience in my mind. Have fun, wish I was going.

July 19, 2018 at 8:57 pm
  • Reply car insurance with no license in Miami Beach FL

Hi Dec,Sorry I missed your blog birthday, congrats anyway. Just thought I would drop you a line and say hi.Names Rich been chating with Will the last few days and have just set up a blog there’s a link on his page.Just had a look at your work and have to say I like it alot. Keep it up and I’ll wish you a happy birthday in a years time. Good luck.

July 19, 2018 at 10:57 pm