Cross Country is BAAAACK

It’s almost one of my favorite seasons. I love the fall for many reasons, my birthday, crunchy leaves, eating chili, running in cooler temperatures, and one of my most favorite times of the year is because of the sport that comes with it. Cross Country!

Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 12.27.48 PM

In high school it was always my favorite sport and now that I have the opportunity to coach it, it is still my favorite sport. Things have changed since I started running but the races are all still the same. It’s a simple test of how hard you can push your body for 3 miles. There’s something so invigorating about waking up on the morning of a meet and feeling the jittery excitement. I still get so nervous and I don’t even have to race!

I love the fact that Cross Country is an individual sport, yet a team sport. You can push yourself against the other runners and if you’re lucky, you have a great team that runs as a pack and scores well against other schools. I was on a team with only about 7 other girls, so we never did all that well in the larger meets, but I enjoyed it because if I finished well, I could still get a medal.

Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 12.27.59 PM

I love the training, the different workouts, seeing our athletes succeed and the changing of the colors as we run through local parks and paths. There is something that just takes me right back to my days in high school and I love remembering those times. It was really hard at the time, but looking back I could have run harder, pushed myself to go faster. Even though I could have done better, I’m so glad I learned the sport of running and now I can continue to enjoy it on my own and am able to coach as well.

Coaching Cross Country is something that brought me back to running too. It’s what made me realize I missed running when I felt like I couldn’t run anymore after my mom died. It’s not an easy sport in any measurement, nor glamorous or even really recognized at some schools, but it’s something that I’m so passionate about and I love so much. I’m so grateful for another year to coach and give back at Lakewood, to hopefully teach the kids that running can be a lifelong sport and that you can love to run. Just like I can hear my high school coach in the back of my mind sometimes when I run, I hope they can hear me encouraging them and that they will have the same memories I have every time fall comes around.

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

23 Comments

• Reply Sarah

I loved cross country too when I was in high school/college! It was so fun & I miss those days of always having a team to run with every day & having a coach just tell me what to run all the time. I’ve been focusing on distance the last few years (marathons & halfs & such) but I’ve decided next year 2015 will be “the year of the 5K” & I’m gonna try to get fast again & run at least one 5K a month, which will be my focus, but I’ll probably throw some 10Ks in the mix too. I can’t wait to do fast workouts & have those 5K jitters!! I totally have to re-learn how to train for that distance though since I’ve been focusing on longer races now for about 10 years since college. I think I’m going to hire a coach in the spring to help me out with that, but do have any tips you can share for training for a season of 5Ks?

September 5, 2014 at 5:44 am
  • Reply John

I agree, the fall is the best part of the year! The air is so much fresher and easier to breathe, and the lower temperature makes it possible to go hiking without soaking in sweat.

September 7, 2014 at 10:30 am
  • Reply The Supplement Reviewer

This post brings me back to my school days. The whole school year would have to compete in a cross country run. Since I was a swimmer I was never great at running but it does have a lot of carryover from the fitness aspect so I usually placed in the top 10 in the run.

September 10, 2014 at 2:27 am
  • Reply Maria

I don’t think I wrote out my workout very clrelay! I ran a total of 6.5 miles and it probably took me 55 minutes or so. Within the 6.5 miles, I ran 25 minutes at tempo pace. I don’t take Max running. He doesn’t really like to go on runs. He will hike for a long time though! We only let him off his leash if there are not people around. He gets too excited and sometimes jumps on people, so he is usually on his leash.

November 26, 2015 at 5:02 am
  • Reply adidas nmd

Spot on with this write-up, I really assume this web site needs much more consideration. I抣l probably be again to learn rather more, thanks for that info.

July 9, 2018 at 10:05 pm
  • Reply adidas nmd

I have to express my thanks to this writer just for bailing me out of this matter. As a result of exploring throughout the online world and finding views which are not powerful, I believed my entire life was well over. Living without the presence of strategies to the issues you’ve resolved by way of your good write-up is a serious case, as well as those that would have negatively damaged my entire career if I hadn’t discovered the blog. Your actual skills and kindness in taking care of everything was precious. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not encountered such a step like this. I can at this time look forward to my future. Thanks for your time very much for the professional and result oriented guide. I will not be reluctant to suggest your site to anybody who would like guidelines on this situation.

July 10, 2018 at 1:29 am
  • Reply yeezy boost 350

I needed to draft you that bit of remark to thank you very much the moment again regarding the extraordinary guidelines you’ve shared above. It is really seriously open-handed of you to deliver openly what numerous people could have sold as an e-book to generate some bucks for themselves, most importantly seeing that you might well have tried it if you ever decided. These good ideas as well worked to provide a great way to be certain that most people have similar fervor really like mine to see lots more in respect of this condition. I’m sure there are several more pleasurable opportunities up front for individuals who go through your website.

July 14, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  • Reply yeezy boost 350

I simply wished to thank you very much once more. I do not know what I would have achieved in the absence of those solutions discussed by you concerning my question. It had been the difficult circumstance in my view, but considering a specialised tactic you handled the issue made me to jump for joy. Now i am thankful for this help and then believe you recognize what a great job you’re getting into educating the others using a web site. More than likely you’ve never come across all of us.

July 18, 2018 at 8:46 pm
  • Reply jordan 6

I happen to be writing to make you understand what a notable discovery our girl had visiting your webblog. She picked up so many pieces, not to mention how it is like to have an incredible coaching style to get many more with no trouble fully grasp various extremely tough things. You truly did more than readers’ expectations. Many thanks for offering such invaluable, trustworthy, edifying and easy thoughts on the topic to Tanya.

July 19, 2018 at 6:52 pm
  • Reply off white

Thank you for all your valuable hard work on this site. My mom delights in going through internet research and it’s really obvious why. Many of us notice all concerning the dynamic medium you create worthwhile tips and hints through this blog and in addition attract contribution from visitors on this theme plus our princess is without question learning a lot. Have fun with the rest of the year. You are performing a very good job.

July 20, 2018 at 3:12 pm