Taking a Break

This past week, I kept opening up my blog and just had nothing to write. I don’t know why, I had things to say, running was happening and going well and I had ideas but every time I looked at the blank screen all my words just left my mind and I couldn’t write. The week after Ragnar I got in some sweet runs, including two double runs, one with the team and one in the evening with Mary Kate. I haven’t run far in a while and I have been contemplating what is next for me. I know I train well during the summer and love the heat so that’s something I’ve been thinking about. I really wanted to get through Ragnar to make a decision and to figure out where I can go from here. I’ve been running faster and better than I have in years and I feel good running harder paces.

Long Beach RunningYet at the same time, track has started to take it’s toll on me. My heart belongs to cross country and the all day track meets are long and draining. When the kids run, I do feel inspired and I love watching them improve when they give it 100%, but when they’re only giving 65%, it’s hard to make myself give 100% to them. I miss cross country and the long miles in the fall. I had to take a moment last week to really reset my mind and remind myself that I need to have patience and be encouraging, just like I always tell the kids to be. I was just not being positive and little things were getting to me. It’s hard to be a coach sometimes!

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 2.54.18 PM

This Easter was great, we had my family over and though I have been sick with some kind of flu since Friday evening, and now I have an eye infection and am having to wear my glasses until Thursday, I’m looking toward the future and setting new goals. I’m taking time to really make sure I’m ready to commit to whatever the goal may be. We have a few big things happening this year, including my best friends wedding, bachelorette party, bridal shower, four more weddings, I’m working on planning our 10 year class reunion and a big trip to CABO that I’ve been working out a lot for. Though through it all, I know that running will keep me sane and I keep going back to what really will be next. I’m so blessed and I’m so thankful I am able to run daily, and my clear mind tells me that I need it to keep going.

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 2.54.27 PM

Here’s to figuring out what is next!

9 Responses to Taking a Break

1. Christine says:

OMG – Love the picture with the dogs and the bunny ears, too funny!!! Sometimes a little break is exactly what you need. I hope you will figure it out soon. Enjoy the summer, sounds like a lot of fun!

2. diane says:

Love the dress – where did you get it??

3. ocmomruns says:

You are a busy lady! I’m confident you will do amazing things no matter what you decide. All the best.

4. Andre says:

Greetings! I’ve been reading your weblog for a long time
    now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout
    out from New Caney Tx! Just wanted to tell you
    keep up the great work!

5. The Silent Assassin says:

I coach cross country and track. I’m the opposite. I like the track season better. I’m sure you’re doing a great job. Just breathe and know that not a lot of people can coach and be great at it. From one coach to another, there’s a fine line between patience and understanding. I’m sure you already know that. We do the best we can and hope that it’s enough. Stay fierce chic. In the meantime, maybe stick a half in your near future? The OC maybe? I heard the silent assassin will make an appearance :)

6. It sounds like you’ve got a lot on your plate and plenty of things to focus on, right now just enjoying and improving your running could be enough, but I know how it can be to feel that you NEED that goal.

What a cute pic with the dogs!!

7. chicrunner says:

I got it from Forever 21 :)

8. Sandy says:

I hope you will still be on Instagram. I love your running posts and I love seeing George and Sophie too. It looks like you have lots going on and you are enjoying life. I am sure big things are going to be happening for you with running. I feel like I am heading the opposite direction with my running but watching people like you really taking big steps keeps me lacing up and out the door.

9. Amber says:

Loved the following: I love watching them improve when they give it 100%, but when they’re only giving 65%, it’s hard to make myself give 100% to them.

I hope you tell your athletes that! You saying that was definitely a wake up call for me and how I’ve been applying myself in the bootcamp I go to. Thanks for the inspiration!!