Mountains to Beach Marathon… I’m coming for you!

Yesterday, I did something a little unexpected. I registered for the Mountains to Beach Marathon and it’s go time once again. It really felt good to push that registration button. I definitely wasn’t planning on running a marathon soon, none the less running one in practically a month, but hey, when you’re looking for something to give you motivation, there’s something about having a finish line in your near future.

mountains-to-beach-marathon-confirmation

My arm may have been twisted by Mary Kate… She was doing it and I needed something to train for. She got picked off the waiting list super quick and her excitement was apparently contagious. Before I knew it I was picked off the waiting list and entering my credit card information. I have been contemplating a fall marathon and I figured this marathon was a great place to get a feel for the distance again and either build or completely shatter my confidence. I don’t know what I’m expecting to run just yet, I want to push myself during this training cycle and see where I end up. Then I can see what my fall goals are after this race.

Yesterday evening, I took the time to put together a quick training schedule. I train my best actually when I don’t train very long for a long distance races because I don’t get ‘behind.’ I don’t miss workouts and can keep my mental game tough for shorter training periods. I can train hard for 30-40 days if the end is in sight. It’s much more difficult to be mentally tough when I know I have months of training to go. I hope to do a few faster training runs and not focus on the mileage but my speed this time around. We’ll see how it works out for me come May 25th. I also hope that I can get my fueling situation and my upset stomachs out of the fricken WAY well ahead of race morning.

One Month Marathon Training Plan with Speed Work1 month marathon training plan

I’m really looking forward to a quick month with a few quick runs. I also worked the schedule around track meets which is important to me and I know I can stick with it for 30 days. I can’t wait to get started and dig right into training tomorrow with an 8 miler.

Let the Countdown for Mountains to Beach Begin!

8 Responses to Mountains to Beach Marathon… I’m coming for you!

1. i did the same thing, but for a half marathon. i was shooting for something in the fall, but i just couldn’t wait any longer.

can’t wait to see how the training goes and what you are able to pull off in a month :)

2. Monika says:

i have a few friends running this! I totally have marathon FOMO right now. No marathons on the calendar.

3. Jessica says:

Good job! Way to get motivated again :)

4. The Silent Assassin says:

Way to go D! Can you let us into your world and give us some idea of the pace for a ‘warm up’, ‘recovery’ and a ‘hard’ run for you? Don’t need to share your time goal for this marathon if you have one… but I made a comment one time saying that “I hope you are getting close to where you want to be”. When I made that comment, you were posting times around sub 8:30′s… and you said, “that you weren’t even close”. If you pulled the trigger on this one, you must be ‘close’? =). I mean you killed ragnar! At the least, its easy to see you’re exuding confidence! Stay fierce!

5. Tantra says:

You totally inspired me to sign up for a marathon that I was debating doing…. Basically the same wknd…. I’m going to use your schedule for my base plan, thank you so much! Looking forward to going this mini journey with you!!! Best of luck and thank you again

6. Jerene says:

My running group is doing our 20 mile run on the course this weekend. I have friends who have run this marathon several times and have enjoyed it and have qualified for Boston. I’m very impressed with your one month marathon training plan. I have to say I’ve been training since January (this is my first marathon), and it does get long. I can definitely see how a one month plan can work. Good luck!

7. christine says:

That is super exciting!! I run so much better with a race to look forward to as well. i’m planning on a fall half marathon as my comeback.

8. C says:

Hold up…and you did that all in a month?! Incredible! Seriously dude….mucho props. Gives me something to think about!