Making decisions

When I’m out running, I think a lot about what is coming up next for me and try to plan ahead to my next race. I feel this weird self pressure about having to pick what I’m running soon and what distance it might be. I have been looking for a 5K or 10K locally, but there aren’t a lot of options right now as I have conflicting track meets on most Saturday mornings. I hopefully will find one soon. I am thinking of ramping up for a half marathon to run at the beginning of Summer.

As for the future, I’m contemplating a fall marathon. Perhaps Long Beach, since I do love it and it’s local. Then my common sense kicks in and I think about all the training that will have to be done over summer and I remember the dreaded 20 milers. Can I do it?

It’s hard to envision carving out the time to get all the training in and not get burnt out. Though I do love running in the Summer, it’s scary to commit to something like a marathon. It’s easy to sign up and it’s a lot harder to put in the work. I guess it’s time to get serious and make a decision.

7 Responses to Making decisions

1. Shauna Marie says:

Back in December I decided that I would train for my first full marathon. Then….the winter came. Crazy winter, really. Too much ice and not enough days that weren’t covered in it. :-\ I think that you should pick an event that will make you happy and not make you dread it. Did you love the 20 milers? Did you think that they were eventually worth it? If not – then maybe the marathon isn’t the way to go. I’m at the point where I forgot to love running as I was doing it. Don’t want to see that happen to you, too! Have a wonderful Tuesday! Cheers!

2. Tyly says:

Yes! It is so easy to sign up. It’s the training that’s the hard part. I still want to do a full so badly, but I haven’t taken the leap to sign up just yet.

3. I’m feeling exactly the same way right now. I just finished my first marathon, and am coming off of MONTHS of marathon training. I definitely don’t want to stop running, but I like to have a goal in mind when I’m running, it just helps me stay focused. But it is hard to train intensely in Texas in the summer, and I get really defeated because my pace slows so much in 100 degree weather and it can be discouraging. I think I’m going to try to run easy and happy the next couple of months and pick back up with marathon training in the fall for a winter marathon.

Let us know what races you decide on! I love keeping up with your training, so inspiring!

4. Britt says:

I hear ya on the marathon stuff. My favorite race is the Carlsbad Marathon (and Half) in January. Have you ever done it? The spectators are amazing! Part of the marathon course doesn’t have a big crowd, but the majority of it is packed with people cheering for you. It is also incredibly beautiful. It is a smaller race than Long Beach (I’ve seen the lines there… horrible!) so the logistics are so much better. You would literally drive up, park in a super close parking spot, and hop on over to the starting line in a matter of minutes. There are many more spectators in the Half that you would eventually be running next to. I highly recommend you try this race since it is a reasonable distance from where you live. I know you hate running in the cold, and this would require mostly winter training, but if we have another winter like this one, that shouldn’t be a problem. I am going to try the full again after several years off just because I love the Carlsbad race so much. I make a point to do the half every year because I always do well there and it reminds me of why I love running.

PS. I love that you support and encourage pet adoption. One of the most selfless things I can think of is to give them a loving home. :) Keep up the good work!

5. Christine says:

Planning races is the best part! You get so excited and then.. training starts :) Enjoy our race season!

6. The Silent Assassin says:

I have a running partner that is on a streak of 15 half marathons (1 a month). I call her “yoda”. The reason is she is always getting me to “commit” to races that a year a ago I would have never ever thought of running. I’m so proud of this list that I started last year September. I “one-up’d” her by throwing in a couple FULL’s… The cool part is that the races have taken me to places that I haven’t been, and given me and my family the opportunity to spend time with each other. I mean, who doesn’t want to go to the beach, disneyland, utah =). Plus cool swag gear and bling for the win!

9/14 – Prescott Valley Half
    6/1 – San Diego RnR Half
    7/6 – SD Costume Half
    8/31 – Disneyland Half
    9/13 – Big Cottonwood Full ***
    10/12 – Beach Cities Long beach Half

7. Tiffany M. says:

I like you am trying to find one in the fall and since Long Beach is local it seems like an easy option, but I get so burned out from training in Long Beach and then running the Long Beach marathon. I bombed it the last time I ran it partly because I knew exactly what was coming and the element of surprise wasn’t there. I too am struggling with running over the summer (thankfully as a teacher I’m off, but 2 small children doesn’t make it easy). I’ve been looking at Portland…once a week…I’ve been looking at it, and looking at it, and looking at it… just can’t bring myself to commit yet. I’ll continue to look until I finally pull the trigger…or I don’t. Who knows.