Redondo Beach 10K Race Recap

My one and only goal this race was to push myself. I definitely should have looked at the map more before the race because I thought, oh this course will be super easy, it’s along the ocean. Nope, super hilly (for me), adding to the hard run. Another thing? It was PACKED at the beginning. Weaving in and out, in and out, around, bobbing up and down throughout the entire first time. I wasted a bunch of energy there, but that’s okay, I haven’t ran this short of distance in some time. My first mile, that should look like a straight line, looked like a little red line traveling from sidewalk to sidewalk trying to dodge people.

Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 9.27.27 PM

Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 9.27.58 PM

The first two miles I felt pretty good and then the third and fourth I was really playing a mental game with myself, I didn’t know how I was going to make it to the finish at that pace. I just kept telling myself, three miles left, two miles left, push, push, push as hard as you can but it was rough! I tried to use the downhills as much as I could too. I needed to spend more time looking at the course map to prepare myself for the hills. Can’t really beat the scenery though!

redondo-beach-10k

redondo-beach-10k4milesAnother great thing was there was some good company that pushed me right along. I felt like I was pushing myself to keep the pace throughout the course even through all the unexpected hills. Every corner we turned I literally was like NO way, not ANOTHER hill. Come mile 5 though I was feeling good and ready to finish this 10K off. I knew it was a mile left and just pushed it up the hills, Colin warned me of the last ‘big one’ right before the finish line. It was right before mile 6 and I tried my hardest to just put my head down and drive up towards the mile 6 sign since I knew I was close.

redondo-beach-10k-finish

Running as hard as I could to the finish! I’m really glad I ran the race and my legs felt pretty good the entire race. I finished in 48:02. My right knee is a bit sore but I usually have a little bit of issues with that one. I know with some ice, it’ll be back to normal in no time. Even though I was about 20 seconds off my PR time, I was still happy with the time. The last time I ran that fast was in 2009! It was a great race to start off the new year and I’m looking forward to running another 5K or 10K again soon!

14 Responses to Redondo Beach 10K Race Recap

1. Melissa says:

I’ve been totally impressed with your speed lately, girl! While you may not have PRed, you came ridiculously close. The hard work is definitely paying off. AND – your form looks incredible.

2. Britt says:

Great job! Thanks for sharing the clothing links. I just LOVE the Reebok top. And it is a great price!

3. Sandy says:

Amazing! I am so happy for you! Hard work pays off!

4. Michelle says:

Nice work!! You have such great running form, making the figure 4! I look nothing like that when I run! Haha

5. Katie says:

Hi Danica!
    I was at the Redondo Beach 10K as well and what a perfect morning for a race.
    I didn’t run this year but it looks like you did awesome even with an injury!
    Love the pics!

6. Great job! You can certainly tell how much the crowds affected your first mile because you ran so well once you were past all that!

7. Ree says:

Great job! And your race photos are great too – an accomplishment in itself ;)

8. George Godin says:

Good job! How I wish I could also do that. Running indeed is one of the best form of exercises. Anyway, I also love your top :)

9. Gisele says:

Please teach me how to look pretty/cute/fast when I run!

10. Tiffany M. says:

WOW! Great race! Congrats.

11. Leigh says:

Awesome job on the PR! You seriously have the best running pictures!

12. Christine says:

Congrats!!! That is a fantastic time, just imagine the course would have been flatter, you would have easily PR’ed. Your hard work is paying off – good job!

13. Tyly says:

You are incredible!!!

14. I love all your running pictures lately!! Are you using a new app?

Also, I feel like your stride is looking awesome lately!!! :) It must be because that was one mighty speedy 10k!