Getting Faster 2.0

Each run that I’ve been doing lately has had a purpose, which goes hand in hand with my goal of the year of running with purpose. It’s also had me running much faster than normal, which I am enjoying, but I forgot how much pushing yourself actually hurts! I also forgot how much more ‘maintenance’ you have to do to keep your body in top shape when you’re trying to run faster. The aches, the pains and the soreness seem to linger a bit more. I also have been having an issue with my shoulder. When I ran in high school my nerves would always have problems where when I ran, my right arm would fall asleep. I haven’t had it happen in a really long time, but lately my arm has been falling asleep and it’s so painful and weird. I feel so much pressure on my shoulder then my arm just goes numb. I have an appointment with my physical therapist to check it out this week.

BUT, when I am running faster, I’m much more comfortable running with this little guy! Since his pace seems to comfortable in the 7:50 range, we are much better partners now then when I was running 9ish minute miles, and I don’t feel like he’s going to pull my arm off when we run.

george

So with more speed comes more icing, especially my knee and lower back area, along with foam rolling, and also more laundry! It seems like I’m washing running clothes twice a week. I was getting a little bit lazy on rolling and taking time to ice but I started it back up last week and I’ve really felt a difference when I do it, so I know it needs to still be a priority. I also got to go for a beautiful run where I really wanted to push myself. I just relaxed and focused on my breathing and reminded myself that my legs could do the work. When I finished, I was so happy to see that I ran 7 miles in 7:44! Even though I didn’t plan on being able to get to that pace, I was relaxed and felt great.

running-long-beach

I’m searching for a localish 5K or 10K to sign up for, it just seems like the right time to go out there and test myself again!

13 Responses to Getting Faster 2.0

1. Tina Muir says:

That is great you are feeling good again! I am actually in the same boat, I am trying to find a fast half marathon to race in as I really would like to run 1:13, and I feel I am almost there….just need to find a darn race, but there really isnt too much around right now!

Keep up the good work, and the results will keep coming :)

2. Tami says:

I have been inspired by your running with purpose but living I the northeast I have been lucky get to get out and run. Between the cold temperatures (hello -8) and the snow …it’s been a rough winter

And Asa. Former heel striker , your left foot looks like it’s driving right into the ground

3. Kar says:

Good job Dan Dan!! For whatever reason, sometimes when I run over 6miles, the last 3 toes of my left foot go numb….I think it’s cuz my hips are so tight and some nerve gets pinched off somewhere…not sure. It doesn’t hurt, just feels weird. Good luck on finding a solution for your shoulder!

4. Leigh says:

You are definitely inspiring to watch as you regain your speed! And you have some kick butt pictures of you running!

5. dang you go girl. I am sticking to the LHR training a little longer as right now it really seems to be paying off without all the aches, now it’s more a mental game about not doing the speed work!

6. Jillian says:

Very inspiring! I am coming back after a two week hiatus and find your articles very encouraging! Way to pick up the pace love following your progression!

7. Lindsay Woods says:

That’s great – I love your stories and it inspires me to run faster and your pup looks just like my copper ( Kona and Copper on facebook) I find that the days I take them both on the waist leash I easily shave 30 sec off each mile. Keep up the good runs!

8. Sandy says:

You are doing great! I am sure George is impressed as well! I am so happy for you! My foam roller saved me. I have been doing it religiously and I have been able to keep the pains to a minimum.

9. Christine says:

Do you get regular massages? When I was training for races, I always got one sport massage a month, this helped to loosen up my tight hips and glute area.

10. Elizabeth says:

Your dog looks like such a sweetheart! I need to try running with my border collie puppy, but I know his speed will be much faster than mine, lol. :)

11. Stuti says:

What a cute dog and it’s awesome that you get to run with him! Good luck with your speed work!

12. George Godin says:

Hello there!

I just love reading the articles in your blog. You are such an inspiration to all of us who also want to stay fit and healthy. It is so nice to know that you have this cute partner with you when you do your run. Keep it up!

13. Tyly says:

I always love reading about your running and seeing the awesome pictures you post. Thanks for being such a huge motivator!