Making it count

It seriously has been a great start to the year so far. I’ve changed my mindset a bit instead of just getting in countless miles and not making each run count, running with purpose has made me zero in on a few key things to make each run the best run I can have. Since the beginning of the month my average pace has gone down a lot and I’ve been making each run count in different ways. From trying to run faster, pushing myself out of my comfort zone and having faster recovery runs, every piece seems to be working together. It’s so nice to feel refreshed and when I do have a bad run, knowing that it will be over soon and pushing through it, instead of giving up makes it easier to finish it. This past week I ran 25 miles and had three solid, faster runs. One of which I really worked hard to push myself the entire time.

I can’t complain about the weather though, it’s been incredible and my favorite kind of running weather. Nice and warm, perfect for shorts and you get nice and sweaty.

training-running-chic-runner

I wanted to get in some miles this past weekend, but totally had forgot that it was my best friend’s birthday party and we also had an impromptu day trip to Palm Springs to look for wedding venues, and I don’t regret not running. Sometimes there just isn’t enough time in the day. It was a beautiful day in the desert though, and she thinks she may have found a venue!

Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 11.28.54 AM

I am currently debating between the Redondo Beach 5K and 10K on Superbowl Sunday. I know the 10K will hurt, but I think I want to try to push myself for that long during a race just to see where I’m at. I haven’t decided on my next half marathon or full marathon. I think right now focusing on getting a little bit faster and then working on increasing my mileage again will be the best for me. We shall see!

18 Responses to Making it count

1. nice pace!! I am seeing a difference finally focusing on a half instead of all the miles needed for a full!

2. Jen Eaton says:

I’m so impressed with your time for the 5 mile run you posted. I love reading your blog & hearing about all the running, inspirational:) Thanks for that!

3. Liz says:

Hey Danica! Can you explain what you mean when you say you know the 10k is gonna hurt? You seem to run 10k + distances a lot so I was wondering how the race itself would be different? Is it because you’d like to push your pace? I’m not up to that high of a distance yet, so I’m not sure what it’s like. I love your blog and Instagram; they keep me inspired!

4. Britt says:

Hi, Danica. Do you have any training tips on how to increase speed, other than just running faster? I’d love to improve my time and have been focusing on weight training and plyometrics to help prevent injury and make me more powerful, but I’m not sure what else I should be doing. I’d love to hear from a “real runner” and not just read articles about it. Thanks!

5. I am jealous of your warm weather. They are calling for 6-8 inches of snow here in New Jersey tomorrow. Can’t wait for spring and shorts and T- shirt weather.

6. RunEatRepeat says:

I”m bad at making runs count, but this is a great idea!

7. Tyly says:

You are amazing!!! Truly a running idol.

8. chicrunner says:

You are too kind! Thank you so much.

9. chicrunner says:

I would probably be frozen if I tried to run in that weather!

10. chicrunner says:

Ah thanks! I have found a difference in my mindset when I really push myself on each run and I’ve seen an improvement in my overall running when I run less miles too.

11. chicrunner says:

Hi Liz, Yes ~ I mean that pushing myself for that distance at a pace that is hard for me will hurt :) The 5K would hurt at a faster pace too, but unlike the 10K, it’s a shorter distance so it makes it easier to run harder at a shorter distance. The 10K is just long enough to really question why you decided to run fast for that far.

12. chicrunner says:

Hi Britt – You calling me a ‘real runner’ made my day! :) I have increased my mileage a bit. So in training for a 10K, my long runs are around 8-10 miles. I’ve also made sure to do ‘harder’ workouts, where I have 1-2 mile warm up and then a hard/fast paced 4-5 miles, and then a mile or two cool down. I make sure that my warm up is a minute or a minute and a half slower than my ‘fast paced’ run mile pace. When I do a recovery run, it’s slower than a fast paced run by a minute or a minute and a half. Also, doing track workouts can make you faster too. 4 800′s (2 laps around a track) with a mile warm up and cool down is a great workout to really get your leg turnover to be faster.

13. Krystin says:

It seeems like when we make runs really count and push ourselves our times show it! Great job!! Random Question- You wear shorts a lot, what brands do you love? I have a booty and thighs and haven’t had any luck finding tight fitting running shorts that fit right! :) Thanks!

14. Happy living is one of the best things life. You have to make the most out of it.

15. Billy says:

YEEEEEESSSSSS. Redondo!!! See ya then!

16. Stefanie says:

Redondo 10K- see you there! Watch out for the land sharks and packs of squid;-)

17. Christine says:

The 10k would be great in terms of seeing your progress and also you could use the time to predict your half and full marathon times. You trained hard, go for it!

18. George Godin says:

Hello there!

You are indeed very amazing! I just love reading your blog. Anyway, go for 10k :) I believe that sometimes, we really need to push ourselves in order to see where we at. Goodluck and please keep us posted!