Going, Going, back to back to…

I’m going back to High School?

Yes, I’m going back! As many of you know, I was employed for a fitness brand as their Social Media Manager, and before that I worked at an endurance event management company and also at a smaller advertising agency. I truly love my job, growing with a company, social media and marketing but I was recently offered a coaching position to become an assistant coach for both cross country and track at a high school. The school is less than a mile from B and I’s house and is where B went to high school. After a lot of thought and prayer, we both decided that I would accept the position. It’s much closer to our house so I’m not spending 3 to 3.5 hours on the freeway in traffic every day. It’s a big change for me, as I will be doing social media in a different capacity for a few smaller companies near my house but the biggest change is that I will also now be working with kids.

I previously coached back in college and loved it. It’s where I really learned how important running was to me and it was then, after taking a little over a year off running, that I started running more consistently again after my mom passed away. I searched my computer for some older coaching pics… This is what I could find.

IMG_0876

001_1

008_8 I had to include this one… because it’s the ultimate coaching pose. Ha!

I’m really excited about this change and this past week was my first week with the team. This week I’m heading up to Big Bear for our Team Training Camp. With over 60 kids on the cross country team, it’s quite entertaining and high schoolers are hilarious and delightfully sassy. I’m so thankful for this opportunity and look forward to working with them to hopefully encourage them to make running a lifelong love of theirs.

So here’s to a new chapter as Coach D!

22 Responses to Going, Going, back to back to…

1. fiona says:

This job seems so perfect for you. So thrilled for the positive influence you will have on these high schoolers!

2. Sounds like a great opportunity! Congrats on the new job.

3. i coach high school too and i love it. it was a huge reason why i decided to go back to school to get my teaching license and i wouldnt change it for the world. i do love their sas but i also love their pure enjoyment of the sport !

4. Colleen says:

Congrats!! That sounds like a fun job and that will be so nice to be close to home!

5. Congrats on the new gig. I think that sounds like a lot of fun and you will enjoy the schools schedule!

6. Ah you’re back in the club! Sounds like a great position. Kids are so funny, no matter if they’re 5 or 15! Congrats! And woohoo for no traffic, that sounds awful!

7. RoadBunner says:

Congratulations!! This sounds like an amazing opportunity and great fit for you.

8. kimi says:

you are living my dream.

9. Linzay says:

This is so awesome! Congrats, Danica!

10. That’s awesome! What a great decision :)

11. Jen Eaton says:

It sounds great, congrats!

12. Morgan says:

That’s really awesome Danica, good luck and have a blast!!!

13. Missy says:

How very exciting! Congratulations on the new job and good luck!

14. Sandy says:

Congratulations on your new job! You are a perfect fit! Commuting can really take a toll on you. I drive 80 miles a day and sometimes it can really be stressful.

15. Kelly says:

You are going to be so perfect for this job! I’m so happy you two will have more time together and less time sitting in traffic!

16. You’re going to do great, Coach! :)

17. Julie says:

Congrats Danica!

18. Shannon says:

That is awesome!! Those runners are so lucky to have you helping them! Congrats!

19. Monika says:

Congrats! How fun! Not the same thing but coaching Girls on the Run was the most fun “job” I had. I haven’t coached lately due to time. Can’t believe your commute was so bad! Mine is about 2- 2 1/2 hours each day. awful!

20. Such exciting news! Congratulations coach D. Sounds to me like its a perfect match.

21. Leigh says:

Very belated, but congratulations on your new position! Can’t wait to hear how it is going :)

22. Tyly says:

How exciting!!!! They are very lucky to have you.