The first hurdle

When running is easy, it makes sense. It’s easier to get up in the mornings. It’s fun to run, everything clicks and you feel like you can run for miles. That’s usually how training starts off. You’re feeling great, the running gods are smiling down on you and things are just easy.

Then you hit your first hurdle. The first thing that makes you want to stop. It’s frustrating  harder to get up and your body aches. My first struggle I’m dealing with during this training round is my right knee. It’s starting to get a little sore and I know that I need to spend more time icing it and making sure I’m taking the time to stretch and also paying attention to it when it’s sore. Injury prevention is so important and it’s something that I really struggle with. I usually push myself until I’m REALLY hurt and then I have to stop. It’s not healthy and I can’t let myself do that this training round.

newport-beach-back-bay-training-run

This past weekend we had a great run in Back Bay. It was perfect running weather, no one was out and we both felt great. It was after when I started to feel the pain creeping into my knee and to be honest, it scared me. I don’t want to be injured and I want to train hard to run a full this fall.

I am working on taking time for myself and making sure that I do something preventative  for my injuries before they flare up. Yesterday, I ran 4 miles in the morning with Mary Kate, and we ran together this morning again and I ran 6 miles. I know that with my mileage increasing I need to take the same amount of time I’m putting towards running into stretching, icing and foam rolling or training isn’t going to go well, and taking care of myself is worth it.

long-beach-training-run-beach-path

When I have a good run, it’s so worth it. So taking that extra time to make sure I can make those good runs happen is something that I’m focusing on right now. I usually let it fall to the wayside, but not this training round. This time I’m going to get over that first hurdle and not let it affect me down the road.

7 Responses to The first hurdle

1. Renee says:

Yay! for good runs!! :) Take your time, let yourself heal :) More good runs will be on the way!! :)

2. Alexis says:

Thanks for the reminder…I need to do the same! Took the past couple of days off and iced last night…so important to listen to our bodies! (And hard, I’m sure, when there’s a training plan-in-progress). Have a great day!

3. Adriana says:

I just moved to long beach, and I’d like to do some of my long training runs on the beach paths. where are the best paths located? Thanks

4. Jocelyn says:

It is like you are reading my mind!! I needed this post – ahhhhh I need to rest as well.

5. Emily says:

This is perfect timing for me too!! I am just about to sign up for a marathon, and need to keep patience/balance central in my training!

6. Agreed! I am slowly coming back from a broken ankle. I am doing everything I can to behave and make sure I build a solid base along the way.

7. Angela says:

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog but have never commented. I’m a runner from Texas currently training for my 4th marathon. Hoping to qualify in October at the Portland marathon. I love reading about your races, etc. Keep up the good work! I had tried starting a blog about my journey to Boston…but it’s too much work! HA! BTW, what app do you use for your pics? Love it!

Angela