A run that makes you go BLAAAAAAH

Yesterday morning I was SO tired. Unbelievably, eyes almost sewn shut, oddly tired. I went to bed at my normal 9:30 and was asleep by 10 and woke up at 4:30. Normally, I get out of bed and can pull it together, but this morning… No way, no how. I just couldn’t shake the sleepies, and I wasn’t waking up. Even after putting on my running clothes I thought to myself, Man, I REALLY hope Mary Kate sleeps in and even if I drive down to our meeting spot, I’ll just sleep in my car for another hour.

As I drove down the street, I wished and wished she wouldn’t show. Why was I EXHAUSTED. Of course, when I turned the corner, her little red tail lights on her car greeted me. BLAHHHH. I got out of the car, tied my key to my shoe and off we went… My phone wasn’t working and so my RunKeeper app wasn’t counting down the miles and we were both out of it for some reason. Then we realized my shirt was on inside out, and instead of the pretty sunrise we’ve been having lately, we got a glum, gray, cloudy sky. It seemed to agree with our morning mentality. We were planning on running 6 miles, but ended up with 4 and we were more than happy that we sludged through that far. It was just so BLAH.

when-running-is-hard

During this training round, I’m well aware that my biggest problem that I deal with when it comes to running is burn out. It’s SO easy to keep pushing yourself and push the love for running right out the door while the miles add up. We both agreed that rather than struggling through a crappy run, we’d cut it a little short and try again on Thursday morning.

I don’t want to keep pushing myself and become so consumed with the mileage that I’m getting in that I lose the fun of the run. I’ve done that before and it takes so much longer to re-ignite the spark. Right now training is getting harder, but I’m still enjoying it and I want to keep enjoying it!

7 Responses to A run that makes you go BLAAAAAAH

1. Jenn says:

Some times you just NEED those days and your body is probably telling you something. ENJOY IT…NO GUILT!

2. Chels says:

I can totally relate to this! My daily training runs lately have been feeling so BLAH in the TX summer heat and humidity. I’m hoping I get my mojo back as things cool off and we enter fall!

3. Kristin says:

I just had the exact same experience about a week and a half ago. It was oddly during my low mileage week too. It wasn’t just my legs, but my entire body felt about 100lbs heavier. I was scheduled to do an easy 6-miler but couldn’t even muster 1. I ended up barely jogging for 1 and walking for 3. I agree with Jen, sometimes you just NEED a break and things will fall back in place or in a better place with adequate rest. I’ve also found that increasing my iron intake helps tremendously! Good Luck!

4. Kar says:

agreed. I’ve been feeling that way lately because I’m considering my first half marathon and know I need to start upping my mileage but my head is getting in the way and my body follows by feeling all sluggish….

5. Marcel says:

There’s nothing wrong cutting your run short when you’re tired. Rest is one of the most important aspects of preparing for a marathon. Good luck!

6. Ande says:

Glad to hear this coming from a seasoned runner! I’m training for my first full & am struggling occasionally now that I’m getting into higher mileage. Some days just aren’t good runs & I’m learning that’s perfectly normal. Thanks!

7. Mitch Parker says:

Thanks for sharing this. I also experienced it a lot. Thanks for telling it’s practically normal. :-)