Trying to figure out what’s next

So yesterday morning I went for a 3 miler, along my normal path, which is residential, then a nature mile, then back to residential. The flowers that line the path are finally blooming and they are some of my absolute favorites. They are these huge tissue paper looking poppies (I think). Along it, I really started to consider a full marathon, and thought that all my excuses for not doing a fall full were pretty invalid at this point. I do want to start training for something again, and with a full marathon on my plate it gives me a lot of motivation. I say that now, with nothing on the planner, but it would help my routine.

I do have a lot of issues with the time I spend at work, and the commute does take a lot of time from my day, but that’s really my only major concern. With it being lighter longer, and the fact I can run after work, helps the argument that a fall full is in my future.

Training

I am considering either doing the Long Beach Marathon, because I know the route, it’s relatively ‘easy’ for a full, and it’s nearby, or I can do that race as a training run and then do the Malibu Marathon, which again, I know the route, it’s pretty and I ran it before. But then there’s the Ventura Half at the beginning of September  which might conflict with the Disney half…. Then there’s the Redwoods Marathon, at the end of October… or the Paso Robles Marathon, or I could just go out to Charlotte and run there again, since I love it there…  Decisions, decisions. I am thinking a half or two and then a full. Or a half, and a full as a training run and then a full where I really tried to push myself.

Either way, it looks like I’m leaning towards a fall full… I really want to make it a fun one and make it count too, since it will be my 10th marathon!

Do you have any insight on any of these races? I’m asking around to see what my best options are and what I would be doing. I am about to carve out my schedule for all the training runs and start putting some miles in!

8 Responses to Trying to figure out what’s next

1. Lauren says:

Oooh I think Paso Robles would be fun!! I’m looking for a fall full tooo… I wanted to Long Beach but we have a wedding that day. Curious to see what you choose!

2. Sandy says:

Those all sound like good races! Local races are always much less stressful and cheaper since you don’t have to incur the extra costs of hotels, eating out and waking up super early. I think you have a great plan as far as running a couple of half marathons to get you ready for the full. I usually do the same but never have I ran a full to prepare for another full! Good luck making a choice since there are so many good ones out there!

3. Ashley says:

I live in Charlotte and Thunder Road in November is good especially if you like Charlotte. But your other options sound even better honestly!!

4. Ande says:

Excited to hear you’re going with the full! I am training for my first full this fall and reading your blog helps me stay motivated!

5. Sammy says:

Choices, choices! It’s difficult when there are so many good marathons out there, but as far as possible I’ll choose the one that excites and inspires me the most. For both full and half-marathons I usually head to a city or town where I can combine running with a day or two of sightseeing.

6. amanda says:

I’ve f elt this same way before…better to have lots of races available and interesting to you, than the other way, I guess. I’m partial to close races because I like a low key race morning. I’m personally hoping to run the Ventura half in Sept. It starts at a reasonable time and is just an hour away, so I can sleep in my own bed. Redwoods sounds nice and cool and shaded but that must mean the last couple hot days are getting to me. A lot of people from my running group like Long Beach. Which full courses are best for a PR? ;)

PS thank you for B’s hard work on the powerhouse fire. I’ve been following pretty closely and in awe at the smoke I’ve seen (it’s also only my second “fire season” out here). I’m about 15 mi south of the fire and loved running and hiking the trails that have likely been destroyed by the fire :(. I’m so glad to hear there have been so few injuries despite the size of the fire and the number of firefighters out there. Thanks again to him (and you!)

7. Laura says:

Any thoughts on Big Sur? I’m running the half. And then there’s Nike for the Tiffany’s necklace!!

8. Christine says:

How exciting!! Sounds like you are craving a marathon!! I’m feeling similar lately, I start thinking about doing a 50k…crazy and scary!