Choosing the next adventure

Right now I’m in a weird state of lull. I had such a jam packed three weeks where all my training was paying off and I was in a routine. First, I had the Charlotte RaceFest 10K which was a blast, and really got me back into wanting to run more races. It’s hitting your stride and then crossing the finish line that makes you want to keep doing it over and over.

I had an amazing time at Ragnar and seriously want to do it again but much faster. I think about these girls all the time and how awesome it was!

Screen shot 2013-05-15 at 10.13.33 AM

Then I had an amazing weekend in Pittsburgh and ran one of the best races I’ve ever ran, and I’m on an all time running endorphin racing high.

The Runner of Steel Medla after heading to the Gear Check to get my sweatshirt

The Runner of Steel Medla after heading to the Gear Check to get my sweatshirt

Now I’m at a crossroads of what next. I’ve been considering a fall full, but then it’s narrowing down what race and asking questions like, do I want to travel, do I want to train for it, how far out should I start training again, do I want to give up my entire life to running a full in the fall. Then I think about doing a few halfs, possibly trying to get a bit faster, working on my speed, but then again, the question of where to run and what races to do comes up.

I know the next race on my calendar for SURE is the La Palma Days 10K on the 4th of July, a yearly tradition, but I am thinking about the month of October, a full or half. How to decide is the next question. How do you pick your next race? Any good races in October I should for sure be putting on my calendar?

13 Responses to Choosing the next adventure

1. Bob says:

Santa Clarita Half/Full on November 3 is a great race, small and has a hometown feel to it.

2. Nesrine says:

Berlin Marathon end of September or Amsterdam Marathon in october ;)
    You never know, you just sign up for a race that you would like to do and the travel plans or training will come together…
    Good luck on deciding!

3. Danielle @daniruns says:

You know you love Long Beach!! :) Seriously though, your Long Beach Full race has been such a big inspiration for me. Especially since Long Beach is my hometown race too. I’ve probably read that recap like 4 times, is that weird lol. Anyway I’ve run a bunch of halfs, including LB half two times but that race recap totally motivated me to run the full this year. I’m already like 7 weeks into training and am definitely excited. So if you have no other good choices, there’s always that race on Oct 13 :)

4. Mindy says:

You should do the Disney Dumbo Double Dare with me!

5. Naomi says:

Big Sur Half in Nov!

6. Kristin says:

The Portland Marathon (Oregon) in early October is a great one!

7. Lori Vandermeer says:

We may do the Healdsburg CA 1/2 … I think it’s the 3rd week in Oct.
    Healdsburg is north of Sonoma … wine country. I think they give you a wine glass at the finish. lol

8. Try Golden Hills Trail Marathon in Berkeley this October. It would be fun. My cousin joined the last year’s race.

9. Monika says:

Long Beach! I’ll be doing the full. Won’t it be a nice treat to enjoy a race you used to work on? :)

10. Jean says:

Have you seen this website? They help turn your next marathon into a vacation! My husband and I are planning on doing the London Marathon together for our anniversary. I think doing a fun race at an exciting destination sounds like the perfect way to spend a vacation. :)

11. Christine says:

The Wineglass Marathon is a great small marathon. Very well organized but with the personal touch of a small marathon. I did it twice and loved it! Plus the area is very nice and we usually stayed for a mini-vacation :)

12. Jen says:

Come to Columbus and do the Columbus Marathon with me! Best and favorite-est marathon ever. And no I’m not biased. :) It’s just so well organized, the coarse is fast and the crowd support is amazeballs.

13. Elise says:

I really like the Long Beach full last year. I got into St. George this fall. Should be a “fun” downhill one. GOod luck in choosing!