Training and pushing through

So last week I ended with a solid 22 miles. Thought it was a bit off from my projected 30 miles, I was happy with it. All my runs were solid and I worked on hills and getting my runs in back to back which will help with my ragnar legs.

Then this week started and this week I plan on getting my 30 in. I started with a 2.5 mile run last night with B and my legs were literally TRASHED. I felt like I ran a marathon the day before, which is weird since I hadn’t run since Saturday. I thought it was weird but I figured it was just a flop. I had a 7 miler this morning to finish and when I started running  I was struggling. I knew it was going to be a long run. At mile 2, 3.5 and 4 I had opportunities to turn around and head home, but I stuck with it. I wanted to get it in even if it took me all morning.

It was a nice morning out, which made it a tad easier, but at mile 2 my legs were DEAD.

legs

I kept asking this over and over… What is wrong with you? Why is this happening? WHY!  This face pretty much sums up how I was feeling too.

photo1

The mile started to tick by, but it wasn’t getting easier. I tried stretching, I tried breathing differently  but deep down I knew I would just have to keep pushing to get my miles in. I thought about the team I was going to be running with in a few weeks and how I am petrified of letting them down. I kept going and going even though I passed my house three more times and I was so tempted to stop. I tried to focus on the fact that I could run and that this crappy run would pay off come race weekend. The route I ran was pretty boring, but at least it was pretty!

path

Finally, I rounded the last mile of my run and I haven’t felt that accomplished in a long time. I haven’t really struggled like I did on that run for a while, so I should have know I was due, but I was so glad I stuck with it and got it done. I thought about all the #runfor videos that I’ve seen thus far and thought about what I was running for this morning and it was for accomplishment. I am so glad that I didn’t give up and I got it done. Even when it’s hard, it’s worth it.

ran

12 Responses to Training and pushing through

1. I am experiencing the same exact thing!! I ran 26 miles last week, took Sunday off, and my run after my day off just sucked! My legs killed, etc. The only thing that gets me through is knowing that those are what my last couple miles of my marathon will feel like so sucking it up now will only help me in the long run .

2. Been there. Good for you for allowing yourself to feel acomplished instead of just guilty for having a hard time.

3. Sandy says:

Good job hanging in there with that run this morning. I felt the same way on the last few miles of my 20 miler last Saturday. I was kind of having the same thoughts but I just stuck with it and got it done. Ragnar is going to be fun. I am also running it but not an Ultra Team. I can see 30 miles happening for you this week! Hang tough!

4. Jen says:

Good for you for powering through. I can commiserate though. That is the worst. Sometimes I wonder how the heck I can run marathons yet sometimes literally feel like I’m dying through a 3 or 4 mile run. It’s the worst and really messes with my mojo. Just wanted to say yay for sticking with it!

5. Rena says:

That’s awesome that you powered through it. I intentionally make my routes so that I don’t pass by my car during the middle of my run. It’s too tempting to stop. Funnily, I pushed to get in seven miles today too

6. Anna says:

I’ve been struggling with the same thing lately. Way to go pushing through to the end! Passing by your house or your car on a bad run is the worst and makes it even harder to keep going!

7. Kar says:

good job danica! I felt the same way this morning too. After not running since last Friday, the 2.5miles I ran this morning were TORTURE! I need to change my motivation/mindset, something so I can keep going like you did. I totally ended before I should have this morning:/ ugh hate that feeling

8. Tiffany M. says:

I’m training for the OC Half Marathon and having come off the Long Beach Marathon (which was my worst ever) and the Huntington Beach Half, I’m really struggling with motivation. I have an 11 mile run today and I’m dreading it. I enjoy reading your blog because it does help with my motivation and I know I’m not alone. I used to love running and the escape it provided me, but now I feel every mile. I’m burned out but I keep telling myself, just one more month and I can take a break for a while. Thank you!

9. Andy Green says:

I think your account of your run is a great metaphor for succeeding at pretty much anything. Sometimes, for no obvious reason, things seem difficult. The mental commitment to continue , when giving up would be far easier, separates winners from losers (obviously) but is a trait shared by great athletes, business people and politicians too.
    Thank you for sharing. Good luck in your run.

10. Your post is just what I needed to read to get me out the door for my workout today. There are just days and weeks that we lack motivation. Reading your post reminds me that we can do it. Thanks for sharing.

11. Kate says:

This reminds me of my run today. I woke up feeling horrible (bad cold) and was waffling between napping and running. I decided to try to outrun my cold. I did nearly 9 miles and felt so much better. Sometimes just stepping outside and putting one foot in front of the other is the toughest part of all. I’m the content curator at FitFramed.com and I’d be honored if you’d submit this (and some of your other great posts) to our site. As a blogger-submitted, photo gallery with a focus on fitness, Fit Framed offers a unique platform to reach new readers. Check it out.

12. Christine says:

Good job for toughing it out! Did you check your nutrition or hydration? Those are usually my reasons for a bad run.