Koops For Council + A BIG RACE ANNOUNCEMENT!

Approximately 4 years ago, I posted about going to a small election party for my family friend, Dan Koops… This year he was up for reelection and there was another party!

He was reelected and it was a lot of fun, a lot of our family friends were there so it was nice to spend some time catching up and it was exciting to see the results come in over the evening. Here are the final results below… Another 4 year term for Koops! :) I was bummed, I forgot to take a photo with him this year but here are two little photos from the party.

Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 10.31.49 AM

And I took a photo in front of the house with the signs too!

koopselection

As for running, I have a pretty big announcement… and I’m super excited about it! I also need your help though, because I’ve never trained for anything like it! I’m running a Ragnar Ultra Race with Team Sparkle April 19-20 from Huntington Beach to San Diego! I cannot wait, and I know it will really push myself back into training mode which is exactly what I need. I have been running 2-4 miles 2-3 times a week at about 9:30 pace but I am ready to start actually logging those miles and training hard again. With my IT Band feeling much better, it’s time and I’m really looking forward to Ragnar ANNNNND I have another little something coming up in May but I’m waiting a little bit longer to share that race :)

Monday evening I ran 2 miles at 9:49 pace, and did have to stop twice to tie my shoes, which are new and for some reason kept coming undone, and then the following morning on tired legs I ran a quick little 5K before work. Today is my rest day, but here’s my question for you ragnar runners…

How many miles do you run per week when in training? Since we are doing the ultra, it will be 6 legs of running. Should I do 2 a days 2 times a week to get your legs a little more used to being ‘tired’ and running, or should I just shoot for longer distances? I was considering this type of schedule with a few evening and early morning runs to get my legs used to running on tired legs.

Running on Monday PM (3 to 4 miles speedwork)
Tuesday AM (4 to 8 miles, at my peak of a longer, slower paced run)
Wednesday rest day
Thursday PM (3 miles speedwork)
Friday AM (4 to 6 miles longer, slower paced run)
Saturday gym/cross training
Sunday rest day

I am still working on my schedule but am looking forward to training for a race again soon. I also am going to run the Lakewood Sheriff’s 5K this weekend and I’m looking forward to a fun neighborhood run, they are usually my favorite!

I look forward to reading your responses about training for a relay, it’s something new for me.

8 Responses to Koops For Council + A BIG RACE ANNOUNCEMENT!

1. J says:

I have never run a ragnar, much less an ultra ragnar but from my friends who do ragnars each year I have learned that logging the higher miles with the doubles is a good idea. And even those “fake doubles” (as i call them) are good too – where you run at night then run in the morning again. I think what works best is getting your body used to more miles and more workouts spaced close together. Maybe try first splitting up your runs – 3mi in the am and 2-3mi in the pm. That way you get more miles and get a double in! Hope this helps! SO exicted for you!

2. Kar says:

I haven’t run a ragnar either but I can only imagine that you incorporate some days with a high mileage, slower pace and low mileage/higher pace runs so your body gets conditioned for both. I’m trying to work on increasing my mileage too since I am doing the Camp Pendleton 10K in june….my first 10K! eek! I may have to seek advice from you about that lol

3. Efo says:

That’s great! I’ve done the Colorado Relay (200 mi, 10 teammates, overnight) and it was a BLAST. You will love the Ragnar race. I think your training plan sounds good. If you’re able to do two runs in one day (say, 3-6 mi in the AM, 3-6 mi in the PM) I imagine that could be good training too.

For mine, I trained like I do for any mid distance race (4-6 runs, 20-40 mi/week) for fitness sake. It worked out great!

4. Christine says:

Excited race news!!!! You can do it!!

5. Steve says:

I’ve run 3 Ragnars. Never an Ultra, but I think the concepts are fairly the same. Here’s my advice for anybody running a ragnar, 12-man or ultra.

1. Get in long miles. Get your mind wrapped around the concept of being on the road for multiple extended periods of time. Speed work is great, just don’t be shy about going in even longer runs on your long days, 7-9 miles.
    2. Dial in your recovery. This is different for everybody, and you probably already have a good idea what you want to do between runs, but start replicating now. I knew exactly what I wanted to eat and drink between legs, right after runs or right before.
    3. And now matter what you do, there is no way to practice sleep deprivation and malnutrition. Running a Ragnar, you WILL experience both to some level. A lot of people struggle with their 3 leg because of those two factors, you just have to be willing to gut it out….just like those HS XC days ;)
    4. And last, control your emotions. There is so much energy and adrenaline pumping during everyone’s 1st leg. A lot of people crank their 1st leg because they automatically run it as a race, trying to pass as many people as they can. They do more or less the same during their next leg, then completely suffer on their last. Know what pace you can handle that isn’t going to totally wipe you out, and stick to it. You’ll need some left in the tank during your later legs, and a lot of people have a hard time measuring that.

6. Julie16750 says:

Definitely run back to backs to practice fueling and recovery. Run in the am and then again at night. Also know your legs, meaning don’t rely on the signs to guide you. Know where to turn and how far to the next turn. Lots of teams had to backtrack because they didn’t know their legs and signs were off.

The Lakewood run is fun. I did the 10k before (last year I think) and I would do it again. Lots of kids though and lots of participants that don’t know race etiquette so get up front (there were walkers lining up in the front, that how bad it was. Such a pet peeve of mine).

7. Missy says:

A ragnar race is super exciting! I read about them all the time and they seem like such a great experience! Good luck!

8. Sara says:

Hey Chic Runner! I used to follow your blog religiously and then got away from blogging completely for several years. I’m back and so glad to see you are still around!
    I also found a great new site for a subscription workout clothing line and thought you might be into it. Check out my post on it here…

Good luck with getting back to a rgular running routine. I’m trying to do the same now that it is spring!
    Sara