Starting Over

I am really starting pretty much from square one with running. I don’t have much of a base right now besides a few miles every here and there. After looking at my not so stellar year last year where I battled IT band issues for the majority of the year, I know I don’t want to deal with that again this year. I really want to add mileage on the safe way, which means slow and steady.

This means when I run lately, I’m running 2-4 miles 2-3 times a week. I’m also foam rolling in precaution for injuries and trying to strengthen my legs for training again at the gym. It’s not bad to be starting over, but it’s pretty humbling when I was running 6-8 miles pretty consistently  and now I’m catching my breath on my shorter runs. It’s not like I took time off for any other reason other than I don’t have the time to run like I used to, but it’s hard for me not to push my body and just think, oh I can go out and run 6 miles no big deal. Then I end up come home gimping around and injuring myself. It’s not worth it. It pretty much made my running last year minimal and even when walking I was struggling with IT band pain.

I know over time I will be able to build my mileage and will safely be able to run the miles I was at before getting injured, but it’s hard being patient and waiting for my legs to get used to the miles again. I know this is the way to go, and I don’t want to be injured again, so it’s just sticking to shorter miles to make sure that my training is going okay and no injuries are on my horizon.

I ran 2 miles yesterday morning, and it was great. Tonight after work I’m going for another 2 mile run as well with a co-worker. I’m just glad that I have the opportunity to run and I need to remember that even when I’m feeling like I will never get my miles back up. I will, it just takes time!

11 Responses to Starting Over

1. Missy says:

Take your time girl! Starting from scratch is hard but it will be worth it once you get back to a good place when running those longer miles!
    I was sick before the holidays and I had to pretty much start over too and it was frustrating because I wanted to push forward but I knew my body couldn’t handle it. It’s good to take it slow and build your mileage back up. You are doing the right thing! Good luck!

2. Kayce Taylor says:

I’m in the exact same place you are. It’s hard to believe I ran a marathon in June 0f 2011 and now 3 miles is a push. I’m a believer in yoga for injury prevention, I practiced 4 times a week for an hour, hot hatha and vinyasa, during my six months training for the marathon, and I did not have one injury. Good on you for moving forward and keep sharing through your blog.

3. Emily says:

I”m in the same boat! I was considering a full in May but somehow January slipped away from me. I have base of about 5 miles right now. I need to just push through the pain but I’m struggling to get motivated :(

4. Lady ID says:

While I feel your pain, it’s encouraging to know that I am not the only one feeling this way. 3 miles is a lot slower and more painful than it used to be because I had not been consistently running AT ALL. Now I have a half in March and am working on being consistent but still understanding that it’s a process.

Almost everything worth having has a process :)

5. Anna says:

I`m doing just this: starting from scratch. Running 10 miles per week now and I wish I could do more and run more easily, but I had some calf issues (shin splints/stress fracture) last year and really don`t want to have to go through this again. On the way I jumped at the opportunity to incorporate minimal running shoes into my low mileage training. Wishing you an injury-free training year!

6. Sandy says:

Smart girl! I think that easing your way back into things is the best way to do it. Injury is not fun and never worth it. It is the most depressing thing ever.Have fun working your way back into running and maybe I will see you at a race in the near future.

7. Monika says:

You’ll get there! I was up to 18 miles right before I had surgery in october and after a month of rest I could barely run 2 miles at a time! Its been sooooooo slow for me to ramp distance up but at least with the slow and easy method I hopefully wont get injured!

8. Christopher says:

We are in pretty much the same boat. I, too, had IT band issues last year. I’m now on the road to recovery, with short runs a few times a week and plenty of stretching (lots of “pigeon pose”) and I’ve gotten very familiar with my foam roller. It will be nice reading your blog alongside my own recovery path. Best of luck!

9. Christine says:

You will see you will be back sooner than you think. Your body will remember the running you did before.

10. Ara says:

It’s tough to not push yourself when coming off of an injury, but you’re doing the right thing & slowly adding miles. You’ll be back to those long runs before you know it.

11. Christy says:

I’m feeling similarly. My mileage has dropped a lot since my October half marathon and Thanksgiving turkey trot. Now I’m running about 2 miles each run 2-3 times a week. I feel like I’m losing my speed and endurance. It’s a little depressing, but I know I’ll be able to work that mileage up again soon (it happens every spring!). Good luck with your recovery. At least you can still enjoy running when you can!