A victory lap run

This morning, on my measly 2.5 mile run, I realized something.

For the first time in over six months, I was running. I wasn’t worrying about what might start hurting, about what already was hurting, about the pain I might feel when I stop running. I wasn’t worrying about anything. I was just running. It was actually easy. It was fun. I just kept going.

I haven’t had that “I’m just out running” feeling in quite some time… in a really long time actually. It was like meeting up with an old friend, and catching right up where we left off.  I had near forgotten how freeing a run can be when you’re not worrying about what tingles, what needs to be iced and foam rolled once you get home and how you’re going to walk without limping around for the rest of the day. I finally enjoyed a run again.

It was a crispy morning, and last night it poured rain, so everything was fresh and clean. I felt like I was finally in a place where I wasn’t worrying about a tender spot on my hip, or my shins, or my back. It was just like the rain had washed away all the dirt, I was starting over.

When I got home, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I hadn’t even realized I wasn’t obsessing over pain until the last 800 meters of my run. It was then when I almost raised my arms over my head and fist pumped in glory. Then I realized my neighbors, who probably already think I’m strange enough for the outfits I wear when taking out the trash, would wonder what was wrong with me.

I was so excited. I was doing a victory lap and it was for a pain free run. It wasn’t far, and it wasn’t a long time, but it was back where I started over a year ago. Without pain.

This is about how I felt…

djump

Here’s to being back on track, and many more victory laps.

13 Responses to A victory lap run

1. Meghan says:

What a great feeling! Here’s to many more pain free runs.

2. Danica says:

Congrats! That’s such a great feeling and here’s hoping it continues!

3. RunningLaur says:

<3 this.
    To many more miles of freedom.

4. Kristen says:

I love your blog!! I’ve been reading for years and I am so happy to hear you say that! You have been a huge inspiration to me. Stay strong and healthy!

5. Caitlin Bergren says:

I’ve been hurt since December and I had that kind of feeling on Monday – so I’m right there with you sister! Congrats :) here’s to (both of us) having more pain free runs!!

6. Ashley says:

Way to go! I am also coming off a stress fracture and the first time I picked up my feet and started moving in a running motion, I had tears in my eyes! Don’t ever say “measly 2.5 miles”…every inch is a blessing! Here’s to 2.5 more…

7. Oh, this makes me smile! So happy to hear this!
    Yeas for YOU!

8. Efo says:

What a glorious feeling; cheers to many more rejuvenating runs like that!

9. Lady ID says:

Yay!!! Congratulations :)

10. Leana says:

That’s awesome! Here’s to more pain-free and worry free running in the future!

That is one fantastic race photo by the way!

11. Sandy says:

What an awesome feeling! Here’s to a pain free run!! Hope things continue to go great for you!

12. Michelle H. says:

Awesome for the feel-good run. I’m hoping for the same this week :)

That is the best race photo I’ve ever seen and inspires me to jump every time I see the photographer now!

13. Naomi says:

I definitely know how this feels and what a relief it is to have that first pain-free run. Yay for getting your groove back!