The Newest Member of the Family

Meet Sophie!

This is her getting used to her new backyard!

This is her getting used to her new backyard!

B and I had been discussing getting a dog to play with George while we are at work. Seems a little strange but we are gone a lot and George does well with other dogs and sometimes we felt like he was lonely. We decided to get another dog about a week before Christmas, and looked at a few shelters. Needless to say, adopting a dog was much harder than we thought. The first shelter we went to we found a dog that was in the sick area. He had to wait back there for two more weeks while we called daily to see if he was adopted or if he was out of the sick area. Once he got out of the sick area, they also had pretty strict rules about bringing your dog into meet the dog you wanted to adopt. I brought George in and after a horrible way of introducing the two, they deemed George to be aggressive and said the adoption wouldn’t happen. I think any dog is aggressive when you dangle a puppy infront of a dog on a leash and hold him back.

We found a few other dogs we liked but every time by the time we went to the shelter they were all adopted. We then read into it a little more and decided that a girl dog would be a better fit for George. I went and looked at dogs Sunday afternoon, and the one I wanted was still available. I said we would take her home and we both went to pick her up on Monday evening.

Her inside. I love her little feet!

Her inside. I love her little feet!

The day  I decided to adopt her, I took her out in the little pen when you can meet with the dog and I cannot lie, I was a bit worried about how scared she was. It seemed like she had been abused and was just very skittish  She did like being held, but her tail was between her legs the entire time and she peed all the time on herself because she was so worried.  She barely looked at me and was just shaking with fear. She wanted nothing to do with any of the toys or even the treats in the little pen area and I was worried that she was not going to come out of her shell. The fact that we were getting a dog to be a playmate for George was the only thing that worried me. I didn’t want her to be afraid of him as he is really high energy.

Before she got groomed, she was SO dirty. But this was right after we took her out of the shelter and put her in the car, she was so excited! Seeing her ‘smile’ like this in the car, I knew she would come out of her shell at home! I was great to see this :)

She was an owner surrender because they were moving so I just imagined if we had done that to George,  how he would act in her position and hoped that she would come out of her shell. She was already spayed so she was ready to go home the following day. Once it became a reality that we were bringing another dog into the house, I was a bit nervous, because I always get nervous when we introduce George to new dogs. We adopted her and took her straight to the groomer, where we found out she had the hand part of a leash used as her collar, and the previous owners just cut off the leash part. She was absolutely filthy. They had to use a degreaser shampoo and also said they thought it was the first time she’d ever had a bath.

The meeting between the two dogs was pretty nerve racking for me, but they were outside in the backyard all day today and when I came home both were alive and well! They already are wrestling around and playing most of the time. George, in the beginning, was a bit protective of us, but that’s okay, he seems to have accepted her into the pack. They are about the same size, but she is only 8 months old so she might end up being a little bit bigger than him. She is a bit scared when she first meets someone, but already has her tail wagging most of the time and just needs to learn that she is safe here. She also seems to be house broken, as she has whined twice to go out to the bathroom. Another score! They do chase each other around  I’m so glad I gave her a chance because in a weeks time I’m sure she will be a new dog and George loves her! Her fluffy tail is his new favorite toy, so I know they will be fast friends. His other favorite thing to do is to jump off the couch right behind her and scare her. They wrestled for about 20 minutes when I got home and then were both fast asleep. Exactly what we wanted! They are just like brother and sister it seems, always antagonizing each other.

photo

We are so excited that it worked out and that we now have a new family member!

31 Responses to The Newest Member of the Family

1. Kristy says:

Look how happy they both look! I can’t wait to meet her!

2. Jodi says:

Lol @ “Her fluffy tail is his new favorite toy.” Oh George. And I almost teared up when you said how scared she was! I had no idea! Poor little thing :( I’m so glad she has a new home and new best friend!

3. Stefana says:

Sophie is so precious! I can’t wait to meet her! George and her are going to become best friends. She has little feet like her mama. :)

4. Christine says:

AWww, welcome to the family!!! What a sweet story!! Seems they are already BFF’s, the last picture is adorable!!! You made more than one dog happy!!

5. abbi says:

Adorable! Congratulations on your new addition and for rescuing Sophie!

6. That is an adorable picture. You can never really tell the personality of dog while they are still at a shelter. Both of our dogs are rescues and we have them both for the same reason you do. Company, companionship, play buddies, etc. When we adopted our 2nd, we were in the process of building a house so his foster family kept him until we moved. They had play dates throughout the 3 months to get to know each other. But we knew they were meant to be together. It was the only dog our first one had every shared a toy with!

The Kidless Kronicles

7. Nina says:

YAY!! Wrigley says hi cousins!!! I love you both :)

8. jenny says:

aaahhh….freakin love this story!!!! i am a huge animal lover. thank God this little girl found a wonderful home. you will truly enjoy having these babies. thank God you and B are such good people to take in these poor pets that need good homes.

9. Wendy says:

Congrats on your new girl! Her story breaks my heart but I love that she has a loving, compassionate home with you and your boys now. What a lucky girl.

10. Katie says:

She is so cute! What a great addition.

11. Ed says:

Puppy! Sophie looks cute…looks like a good pair those two

12. Efo says:

Sophieeeeeeeeeeeeee. Bless your heart for rescuing that sweet fluff from what sounded like an awful previous home. She’s such a lucky girl! She and G are gonna be best of buds. You should start an instagram feed for just your dogs… I’d stalk it. Obviously.

13. Lauren Robinson says:

She is an absolute doll! Lucky girl! And lucky you, and B, and George :)

14. Lindsey says:

Oh, what a sweet girl! I’m so glad y’all took her in. My husband and I have two pups too (also both rescues). I adopted my girl about a month before we started dating, and then after we’d been together about 6 months, he got his boy. We left them together every day while we were at school, and they became BFFs. They’re inseparable now and act exactly like you said – they love to tease/pick on each other and play wrestle but 15 mins later they’ll be curled up together on the bed. Getting 2 was a really great decision for us. They’ve brought so much joy to our lives, and I hope it works out just as well for y’all!

15. Amber says:

So cute!! It’s funny because we thought our little dog, Pippa, was starting to get lonely at home by herself since we are at work all day long. We decided to get a new sister for her and we pick her up next week (on Thursday!) I am really nervous but excited for her to have a friend. So glad that it worked out for you guys!! Let’s hope we have the same good luck!

16. Sachie says:

PERFECT! I’m glad it worked out. I am sure you were very worried… but a good owner is on top of things. YEY for you and George and Sophie and Mr Chicrunner

17. Kathy says:

We adopted a second dog about a year and a half after we adopted our first, for the same reasons. It was a great decision – they do everything together. I’m sure you’ll love having the 2 of them!

18. Page says:

AWE! Welcome little Sophie. She’s already a regular part of the family!!

19. Jill says:

Her smile in the car is precious! She just needed a chance and a home – she must have been so excited when she realized she was leaving the shelter! Congratulations on the new addition!!

20. Scallywag says:

Can I just say a serious kudos to you for adopting a dog (and adopting abandoned George in the first place!).

You see so many people get puppy after puppy because they want specific breeds, not caring that theyre encouraging bad care and practise and puppy farming and many other things that make me want to cry :P

Yes, rescue dogs start out with a bit of baggage, but you prove to them that you love them and arent going to let them down and youll get love back in heaps! :)

21. Ande says:

I had a similar experience with my dogs! I too was a wreck when I brought Chipper, a chihuahua, home to meet Dockboy, our lab. Chipper was very timid, scared to go outside, and would piddle on himself. It took him about a month before he realized we just wanted to love him! You’d never know they weren’t brothers from day 1 because they cuddle frequently. Thanks for sharing!

22. Sasha says:

Sophie is so cute! Glad she and George hit it off.

23. emily says:

She is so sweet and so lucky to have you guys! I have a dog who is about 10 years old and has been an “only dog” for the whole time (except for when I dog sit other friends’ dogs). My husband and I have wrestled with getting a second dog too but it is nerve racking! Sophie looks so cute. She is a terrier?

24. Michelle says:

She’s SO cute!!! Congrats on your new addition :)

25. Naomi says:

Congratulations on the new addition to the family. Sophie looks like she will be so much fun!

26. Kayce Taylor says:

Yeah. Your favorite breed is adopted and rescued!!!!!

27. Jennifer says:

aw! this is great. she is adorable. glad they are getting along!

28. Stacey says:

Love that they are fast friends! How rewarding to adopt out of a shelter.

29. Missy says:

Aww she is super cute! I’m sure George and her are going to have lots of fun!

30. Jess says:

Very cute!! I hope they have a blast together!!

31. OMG! Sophie is precious and they look so cute together!! I want a second dog, too….

I shouldn’t have read this post!