Minutes not Miles

Lately, I have somewhat struggled with the fact that I can’t go out and run the longer distances that I once did. I don’t necessarily want to run them, but the fact that I can’t run them or run nearly as fast as I was running sometimes can be frustrating. It’s easy to read other blogs and see people training for full marathons and ultras and ironmans (?) and think that you reporting on your 3 miler that you ran in 32 minutes is pretty much meaningless.

This morning when I woke up I didn’t want to run. At all. I thought about how I was feeling down on myself because though I am seeing improvement in my ‘injuries’, I’m not fast, and I’m still struggling with consistency. How was I running so many more miles a year ago, and now I feel like I can’t keep running after four miles? Alas, this morning on my run it was a reminder that I need to worry about the minutes not the miles.

Every run is a journey within itself and I need to relish that instead of always wondering about what’s next and why I’m not going faster or running longer. I need to be happy that I CAN run and that I’m out there able to enjoy it. I need to be happy with running my 10:30 minute miles and enjoy the fact that I have a new day to enjoy my run with.

It’s hard to not think about more miles and what I can do to increase my mileage and be faster, but sometimes I just need to remember for me, right now, it’s about the minutes that make up the miles, not the miles upon miles that I’m not running.

When I got home from my run this morning, I just breathed a sigh of relief. It was like a revelation that I had that like Duh, you idiot. Do what you love, and love what you do.

So that’s what I’m going to do. Love it.

7 Responses to Minutes not Miles

1. Page says:

And that’s what you should do. Do it because you love it. Nothing else.

2. Alisa says:

Well said!

I think it is far to easy to get caught up in the “hype” of races/training.

I’m at the point where if I’m not enjoying something, why bother!

And…if you still need that validation (I know I do sometimes) just think how many people can’t even run 1/2 a mile.

3. Kristen says:

This reminds me of your “walk break” post in the sense that it also is an inspiring metaphor for life in general.

Thanks for the reminder to live with gratitude and not to expect our own journey to look like someone else’s.

4. Alice says:

Don’t be discouraged by others running further or training for more. You can do what you want and will go as far as you want!

You are your reason for running and that’s what matters!

5. Kate says:

Great article, I feel the same ways, but as we get older we slow down, I guess, at least that is what I have been told, the old excuse. I have found that you sometimes have to fake it to make it!!! It works!

6. A.S.C says:

I loved this post. Thank you so much. I agree with everything you said. I recently had this thought: “The important thing about running is not how far you go, nor how fast you go. The important thing about running is THAT you go.” You are right when you say the most important thing is that you still can run, and love it.