The Color Run 5K Race Recap

Wow! So from one kind of race to the next! Not going to lie, my legs are STILL very sore from this weekend. The day after the Salt Lake City Half, I was ready to tackle the Color Run 5K with Shea. I have never done anything besides a regular running race and this was going to be quite different. We both really had no idea what to expect and driving down there race morning we were reading over a few ‘important reminders’ and it freaked us out! How colored would we be? What really is the color? Was oiling the hair really necessary? But we were both still really excited. We had made matching tutus and were all ready to go with our white tank tops. The weather was overcast and perfect for being out ‘running’.

The Color Run, Orange County, was taking place at the OC Great Park, which I have never been too. Shea was nice enough to pick up my bib while I was in Salt Lake City and I pinned on my number while we were heading down there. We parked, got our tutus on and got over to the portapotties. We got all ready and then traveled over to the start line where we also ran into Angry Julie. We hung with her and her friend Megan for the remainder of the race. We wanted to be in the first wave because we were nervous and excited. Everyone was wearing white around us and it was a cool vibe. I also think this should be called the Hipster Race, not the color run. Anyways, finally, we started!

At the start line, everyone is wearing white and the music is playing and the whole area is white balloons to signify the beginning. Each station has the color it represents on the flags surrounding it so you know what color you’ll be ‘getting’.

First we approached the yellow station, here is a video of what it was like going through the station. The color is actually just a powder and the volunteers just throw it on you. It tastes pretty bad, but it is all dusty and fun and you go through a big cloud of the color.

After each station we took a picture so that we could see our progress throughout the run. Here is our first photo after the yellow station.

Next it was onto the green color station! We walked a lot of the race, and my legs were sore from the half and we were just enjoying the people and talking. It was pretty fun.

Each station we went through, we switched sides so that we would get all colors covering us. That was a good idea because I think we got good normal color :). After the green station, where I got it all in my face, it was time for purple! Purple and pink were the last two colors and I think the best colors because they were both so bright so they stood out. We were looking forward to getting over to the purple and pink stations.

The purple cloud awaited us and soon we were doused with purple color! It was fun going through all the stations, and I’m pretty sure I closed my eyes and tried not to breath through them, but still, fun!

We kept getting dirtier and dirtier as the run went on! We took a group shot after purple color.

I am really glad I wore sunglasses! We were off to the pink station and the finish line was in sight.

By the end of the pink station, we were covered! I couldn’t believe we had run through this stuff! It was pretty fun and by the finish line we were totally different looking than when we started!

The entire run I carried my phone in a little plastic bag and it worked out well. I still got a ton of pictures and it didn’t mess up my phone at all, so I was thankful for that.

Every 15 minutes after the color run they have the color throw, which everyone gets a packet in their ‘goodie bag’ of color that they can throw after the race at the color throw. This was the color throw video that I took

and this was the aftermath on the ground.

SO MUCH COLOR EVERYWHERE! We stuck around at the finish for a little bit and waited for the next color throw to take place.

Finally it was time for the second color throw!

Miss Angry Julie Monday and myself! :)

It was amazing to see all the color packets go off in the air! Really a neat idea and interesting concept. At the end of the race I got a granola bar and a banana and some water.

Overall, it was really a fun, fun race. My legs were really sore and still are from the miles I put on them this weekend and I’m working on swimming a lot this week to get prepared for the Tri this weekend. I’m pretty nervous about that but I’m going to do a mini trial run on Thursday after work to see how it goes, so hopefully I don’t drown in the pool!

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

21 Comments

• Reply AmyC

I want to do a Color Run race so bad…it looks like tons of fun =)
    I bet the run helped your leg muscles even though they were feeling ouchy from your half.
    Great pics!

April 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm
  • Reply Mae

Sounds fun! The Color Run in my area sold out quickly. But, there’s another event in San Jose, CA I am considering. Good thing about the plastic bag for the phone and electronics. I’ll probably do the same.

April 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm
  • Reply Abby @ Change of Pace

That race looks like a blast! You must be so glad you took your camera!

April 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm
  • Reply Monika

I totally want to do this!! They come to SD in November. We made two white tutus for girls who did this race. The only sent us before pix so far :)

April 24, 2012 at 2:42 pm
  • Reply Mrs. C.

That looks like so much fun! I really want to run this race, but there isn’t one near me. I love your tutus. They were perfect with all their colors! Where did you find them? This is kind of a dumb question, but did you take you camera out of the bag before you took photos? Also, how did you manage getting into your car after? If I ever run this, these are things that would make me nervous pre-race. haha

April 24, 2012 at 3:37 pm
  • Reply That Pink Girl

Y’all are too cute – looks like you had SO much fun!

April 24, 2012 at 4:27 pm
  • Reply Carrie

Oh my gosh that looks like SO much fun!

April 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm
  • Reply crystal CAC MUFFIN

OH MY GOSH this looked like SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!

April 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm
  • Reply J

Very cool race! I think there is one of these near me but it conflicts with other things. I love the color!

April 25, 2012 at 9:54 am
  • Reply Wendy

I am so going to do one of those! Your pics are awesome.

April 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm
  • Reply Beth

I am so excited to hear about your tri!!Your so brave and I’m sure I’ll be picking your brain for tips and input!! My girls are doing their first tri on the 26th…I’m totally going to be stalker mom watching everything like crazy to see how it all works : )

April 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm
  • Reply Leigh

That looks like so much fun! There is one coming to my city in August and am really tempted to sign up!

April 26, 2012 at 10:02 am
  • Reply Sammy

Long time reader, first time commenter. :)

As everyone else said, that looks so much fun! It looks like you had a blast. :)

April 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm
  • Reply Brandi

I’m doing a Color Run in June and it looks like a blast! I’m glad I signed up for it!

April 26, 2012 at 11:19 pm
  • Reply Dhitri

Amazing! And envy! I wished they had something like this here in Australia!

April 28, 2012 at 8:03 am
  • Reply The Color Run 5K Race Recap | Angry Julie Monday

[…] Danica was really good at taking pictures as we ran through each other station.  I took some pictures but they were super blurry.  We had another runner take this group picture of Megan, me, Danica, and Shea after we had gone through three color stations (yellow, green, and purple).  After the first station, yellow, we learned how to get proper coverage of color.  Each station we alternated, left-right-left-right.  Then we going through the station, we would do a 360-turn to get color everywhere.  Otherwise you would only get color on one side. And everyone else in our group was smart to wear sunglasses.  I was a total fail and forgot mine at home. […]

April 29, 2012 at 9:41 pm
  • Reply Morgan

Ok first things first, thank you for all the pics and video! I’ve been wondering how this event actually works! I’m signed up for one here in July and another down in Florida in December. So excited! All your pics turned out great, you and Shea could rival the ridiculously photogenic guy.

April 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm
  • Reply Jane

Where did you hear about the Color Run?

July 19, 2012 at 10:04 am
  • Reply Laura

Love this! Where did you get your shades??

April 24, 2013 at 1:11 pm
  • Reply Brandon

Wow! You got some incredible pictures.. and video. I ran the Color Run here in Winst0n-Salem, NC back in March but didn’t even think to put my phone in a bag so that i could take pictures. Wish I would have. I did get some good ones at the end though and of course a video of the colors being thrown in the air. I thought it was a pretty cool run and what’s great is it got my mom running. She never would have run a 5k unless it was a “fun run” like this one. Anyways, great recap! If anyone is interested in seeing another, mine is here:
    Happy Running!!

April 24, 2013 at 6:49 pm
  • Reply I'm Doing The Color Run - The Happiest 5K on the Planet! - Budget Fairy Tale

[…] from Chic Runner: Sara from Clever Pink Pirate:  Emmie from Skinny […]