Struggly Not Fun

So running has made me feel like this lately

A big fat MEH. I’ve REALLY struggled on my last few runs. I don’t know why. I just can’t get it to click, and if it does click, it’s the last mile, so I can’t decide if that is only happening because of my complete joy that my run is over. Most of the struggles have happened over long runs. Those 3-5 miles though, I’m doing much better on. Able to keep a much more consistent pace and not completely hating my time out there.

Anything over 5 though? I basically HATE it. I don’t get it. I know Arkie keeps getting closer with each passing day. I need to get through that, and this ‘training’ and then it’s onto different things. I look forward to changing it up. Lately I have been loving the gym, biking and I’m thinking a little baby tri is in my future. When I say baby tri, I mean short, short distance. Right now, long runs are really putting a damper on my running style and overall love for running, and I have come to the realization that I want to get faster, in shorter distances, like how I used to run. I love running short distances, and I love running fast.

I need to keep my head up and remember that even though my runs are not great… I’m still getting them done. I’m actually pretty proud of myself and the training I’ve been doing lately, even with the mehtastic feeling I am having towards running. It might not be fun or pretty, but it’s still happening and I’m not giving up.

So for now, I will contemplate buying this pillow…

It is what it is. Arkie is approaching. After Arkie new and exciting, different things are in my future. I’m struggling with running but it is what it is, and hopefully some good runs are on the horizon!

11 Responses to Struggly Not Fun

1. Shannon says:

Is it just the run or are you “meh” generally lately? How is your energy levels? I felt very tired and meh a week and a half ago and discovered I was battling an illness which is either bronchitis or pneumonia.

If it’s not exhaustion, then maybe you just need to mix things up with some new music or mental tricks.

2. You’re not alone in your “meh” attitude for sure! At least you’re making the attempt to do over 5 miles! =P

3. Amanda M. says:

I know exactly how you feel. It really helped when I started doing tris. I started appreciating my runs more (because biking and swimming were unnatural to me). It’s good to mix it up… I’m doing Insanity now and can’t wait to get a run in sometime soon!

4. Gisele says:

I’m the complete opposite! I dread short and fast runs, and try to avoid anything under 5, because I know I have to run fast if it’s short. Don’t even get me started on track workouts, ha. However, before a run that I may not be looking forward to, my mantra is “whatever happens, happens. i’ll be so glad that i did it.” That seems to help. Keep running happy!

5. Kathy says:

Have you signed up for the marathon? If you haven’t (or I guess even if you have), have you thought about just not doing it? If you’re not feeling the running right now, why do it?

6. Colleen says:

I’m sorry you haven’t been enjoying your runs lately, that’s no good! I’m not sure but it does seem like you ramped up you mileage really fast and that might be why you’re feeling burnt out and why the long distances are so hard. I don’t when your marathon is so i dont know if you have time, but would you be able to do a recovery week?

7. Mindy says:

I’m somewhat happy to know I’m not the only one who struggles with feeling meh about running. Lately I just can’t get into the groove, and my runs are only 2-3 miles! I found a new podcast and that helped me on my last run.

8. Joy says:

Whoa. It’s like you’re reading my apathy.

If I weren’t signed up for a daggone marathon, I totally wouldn’t be suffering through these long runs. And my last 2 have been AWFUL. Same thing, I’m totally fine with the shorter runs, but these longer distances are terrible.

Hopefully things will turn around for us soon :)

9. Amy Romero says:

Sadly, I’m sorta “over” running right now too. I’ll do it occasionally, and I still have a couple of short races (5 & 10k). But I’m not into it. I’m beginning to think it was my body telling me I was done. Either way, I filled the space with strength training…and look and feel sooo much better! I hope you feel less ‘meh’ soon! ;)

10. Shannon says:

I’m over running right now, too. I’m laughing that you’re calling it Arkie though. I’ve never heard someone call it that!

11. Julia says:

I hear ya. I was struggling to get motivated to run this winter, and so I just took all pressure off of myself by refusing to take my garmin with me and not following any route, I just ran and went wherever I felt like. I also often take my camera with me, looking for cool pics to take during my run…made it kinda fun.