Making some changes

I never have really tried seriously to track anything I ate ever before. I usually eat ‘somewhat healthy’ but never really count calories or keep close track of what I’m eating.

Recently, I’ve changed my mind becuase I am not happy with how I feel. I know the person who is solely in charge of this is myself and I have to make a choice to actually try to lose weight to become more healthy. I know exactly where I carry all my weight, in my mid-section. I always have and when I gain weight, it goes directly to there. I’m just not happy with how I’ve let my mind think that eating some fruit will make up for bad choices. I know I can make better decisions and I know I’m the one in charge of this aspect of my life.

Also, a summer trip to the river is right around the corner, and instead of being upset at myself and how I look there, in a bathing suit, I’d rather take charge, when I have ample time to make a difference in myself before then. A lot of my issues that I have are when I eat poorly, and give up easily. I don’t know why I don’t believe that I can eat healthy, but I always blow it and then just let the rest of the day slide away. Also, it always seemed like I would either try to starve myself, which obviously never worked and I would become angry and mean and it would only last for a couple hours and then I would just overeat once I could eat again. I wouldn’t ever look at anything besides calories, and I really needed to make a change. Though I have the taste buds of an eight year old, it was time to eat like an adult.

So I’ve started logging what I eat every day on an little app on my phone called My Net Diary. It was free and I wanted to see what I really was eating. It actually is pretty fun and I really can see how I was eating WAY too much a day without even knowing it. I use to use the fact that I worked out as an excuse to eat whatever I want, which isn’t a good way to think.

In addition to looking at my calories and tracking what I eat every day, which is informative and it gives me stats on how I’m doing with sodium, saturated fat, and calories of food, it’s motivating to see myself keep on track with what I’m eating and coming up with foods that are good and fall in the categories that I need.

I have been making good snacks, eating more smaller meals throughout the day and feeling much better already. I just felt like a salt lick eating crap all the time, and the only person to blame is myself. I had my first ‘green monster’ smoothie yesterday after my 4 mile run and it was good.

I wouldn’t say it was delicious, but it was drinkable. I think I thought I would be able to just ignore the weight gain, and be whatever about it, but it has come time to make a change. It’s easy to think that if you work out all the time, or run, you don’t have to worry about what you eat, but I have come to the realization that diet is also such a huge part of your life and now I’m willing to make a change to feel healthier and be happier with my appearance.

So with that out there, I’m also still working out a lot and working toward the Arkansas Marathon. I have the 13.1 Los Angeles on Sunday which will be the starting point where the miles really start to add on for the full, and I’ll be heading to Arkansas before I know it!

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

14 Comments

• Reply Lauren @ Sassy Molassy

The app seems handy! I think eating clean definitely helps your feeling about yourself regardless of weight. And the key I find is just having the healthy snacks on hand so I’m not tempted to eat crap when I get hungry. Also, there are some great green smoothie recipes here – http://greenmonstermovement.com/. My go to is generally a frozen banana, spinach, milk, blueberries, cinnamon and pb or almond butter.

January 12, 2012 at 11:06 am
  • Reply yvonne

I am feeling the exactly way you are right now. I use a free app called “Lose it” but I might have to try the one you mention and see how they compare. Also, I live right on the marina and was planning on coming out to cheer for the runners on Sunday! I will give ya a cheer if I spot you. Good luck!

January 12, 2012 at 11:40 am
  • Reply Kathy

I found that adding frozen berries and a little peanut butter, OJ or honey to a green monster smoothie makes them taste SO much better! Otherwise, I think they’re a little too bland for my taste.

January 12, 2012 at 11:44 am
  • Reply Shannon

Good for you! I’m the same way and was thinking about this this morning. I need to take control. I’m gonna download that app today and try it out! And, YAY for the Little Rock Marathon!! I, however, didn’t register in time and the ONLY event left is the 5k. So, I’m registered to run the 5k with my neice who is 13! :) I’m getting that girl started early on the love for running! ha!

January 12, 2012 at 2:11 pm
  • Reply @DaniRuns

Totally going to check out that app. I know for me I kind of ignore my eating when I run a lot, but it never leads to me having a tight and toned body. The hardest part is just taking the first step and taking back control.

My mom always tells me something that Dr. Phil says apparently haha “You can’t change something until you acknowledge it.” So you have “acknowledged” the change you want to see and you are going to rock this! You got this girl :)

January 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm
  • Reply Lindsay

Good for you Danica! I have been doing this for the past year with MyFitnessPal (another free app & website online). It is amazing how well it works and how fast the weight falls off when you are keeping track. I have lost 16 lbs in one year. I hope you get the results you want & keep up the good work! xo

January 12, 2012 at 3:00 pm
  • Reply Kasey Lynne

I’ve heard some really good things about the Green Monster. Have I tried it? No, but I plan to soon! I actually might try out Lauren’s verson of it.

This post is great motivation!! WHAT you put in your mouth is a HUGE thing…some people still don’t get that.

new follower of yours!

January 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm
  • Reply Melissa

I just started cracking down on my food tracking and I use MyFitnessPal. I’ve never heard of the one you’re using, but I’ll have to check it out!

January 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm
  • Reply Jen

I just started tracking what I consume (via My Fitness Pal) for no reason other than I want to see if my diet is as balanced as I imagine. Amazing what you don’t know until you start paying attention!

January 12, 2012 at 4:36 pm
  • Reply Southern Roots And Combat Boots

You can do it! In fact I’ll be doing it with you. I just need to have this little niblett first;)Neat app! Thanks for sharing. I’ll be looking into something like that for my phone once I’m cleared to start working out again. Everytime I’ve had success with weight loss, it always came from calorie counting…It can be time consuming at first and a little hard to get used to, but once you have a general idea of calories in foods, it’s not as hard to stay on track. Good luck!!

January 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm
  • Reply Rebekah

Good for you! I’m in the same boat–I’m up several pounds over this time last year, and realizing I need to be intentional about the food thing before it just keeps creeping up! I use Lose It, and really like it–and I just discovered the other day that it has a (new?) feature where you can just scan barcodes on food, which is super handy.

January 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm
  • Reply Amy Romero

Thanks for the reminder…it’s funny, I KNOW I should eat better, but I do the same thing sometimes, think, ‘eh, I do okay, and I work out, sooo..’. BUT I know I should go back to tracking. It makes such a huge difference. I’ll find that app you used & start today! (And I’ve found before that it’s a huuuuge motivator to watch what you eat add up on the screen!)

BTW, just found your blog today…. <3 it! I run too (fist 1/2 marathon a few months ago)…and also do weight training at home. Love that I've found my perfect fitting workouts!

Subscribing to your blog now ;)

Amy

January 13, 2012 at 7:52 am
  • Reply That Pink Girl

Hmm, I’ll have to check out that app!

January 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm
  • Reply February is here | Chic Runner

[…] also have excellent news to share about tracking my food that since I started keeping track of all the food I’ve been eating, I’ve lost 6 […]

February 1, 2012 at 1:16 pm