Donation December!

I’m very excited for this project that I’ve been thinking of for the past month. I love the month of December and every day I think about how blessed I am to have SO much. Even when B and I struggle, we are still SO overly blessed, it’s so ridiculous. When things are hard, I have to remember how good we have it and being thankful for the little things puts it all in to perspective. I really wanted to do something at the end of December and I was reminded of a moment that I shared with my mom that always makes me remember how the ‘little things’ are taken for granted.

Back in the day with Mom!

I remember vividly one time complaining to my mom about how long my hair was and how it took forever to blow dry. I remember complaining that it wasn’t looking good and I was fed up with my hair. My mom looked back at me and said at least you have hair. This was when she was going through chemo. I remember the look on her face when she said that to me and her bald head. Of course it was so selfish to me to complain about it, and it didn’t even cross my mind. I should have thought before I opened my mouth. Almost immediately after my mom died, I donated 10 inches of hair for the second time. I donated the first time my senior year of high school.

One of the last good pictures we have before she passed away in April of 2006.

I remember what she said to me that day because I know it’s easy to complain about things we take for granted. For me, blow drying my hair took me 20 minutes longer than what I wanted, but for her all she wanted was some hair on her head! To this day it still makes me sad to think about it and how I hurt her feelings without even knowing it. And now, my hair is growing out and I’m ready to donate again! To donate, you must cut off 10 inches of your hair in a ponytail.Ā  My long hair is one thing I seriously love, but I know that someone else will enjoy it more than myself, and I want to grow it back out and donate again!

I also wanted to do something for Locks of Love since not everyone can donate 10 inches of their hair. I wanted to create a goal of something that seems far fetched but I hope that I can reach it. I want to commit to raise $500 dollars the entire month of December. $500 dollars sounds like SO much and it’s a scary figure, but at the same time, it will give back to Locks of Love and their organization.

I have set up a donation page and you can donate below!

If you wanted to donate directly to them, you can fill out this form and just let me know how much you donated and I will add it to the total!

I am so excited to donate my hair to someone in need of hair! I know it’s going to be a big change and will be hard for me to part with, but guess what, they need it more than I do, and mine will grow back. If you wanted to participate in the donation you can as well! I will be donating my hair on the 29th and will share all the pictures and give you updates on how the fund raising is going all month! Big shout out to Kelly at Tek Salon who will be cutting and making the short hair look fabulous! I thank you in advance for your donations and am so grateful for your support.

15 Responses to Donation December!

1. Nina says:

Crying…again. But you know it’s because I just love you so much. I’m so blessed to have you in my life! I hope you get tons of donations for this great cause! You know all the lovies are cheering you on xxox

2. Laura says:

Locks of Love is a great organization, but there is another one (that only requires 8 inches) that you might want to look into. Pantene Great Lengths make wigs specifically for adult women. (I think Locks of Love is mainly for children.) Just a thought!

3. Kelly says:

What a great cause. So proud of you! :)

4. Lisa says:

That brought tears to my eyes. I remember complaining to my mom so many times about the most trivial things and how she sat there and listened and empathized with me. All while she was going through what she was going through. I get so angry at myself still and I miss her so much. Obviously I’m not board! My mom hated her whig she never wore it, she usually wore hats (which were donated). We bought her whig at the mall, I think it was Raquel Welch, so funny. Your amazing and I truly adore you, this is a great cause and I think you are truly selfless and amazing for donating a THIRD time!

5. Char says:

I’m sure you’ll have no problem reaching and surpassing your goal! I just made a donation :-) I can’t wait to see your new look and I know the recipient of your hair will be very grateful to you <3

6. @DaniRuns says:

Beautiful post, this is so heartfelt and amazing of you. I would be so down to donate my hair too, maybe a donate hair day with Kelly on the 29th? I would totally sign up

7. Tara says:

I love your blog and you inspire so many of us, and now you are doing this great thing! I hope you meet, and then exceed your goal. If every reader gave what they could I am sure that is possible. Thanks for everything you do for the readers, I love reading your blog so much.

8. Judy says:

Your mom was an inspiration to all of us, including my granddaughter, Annika, now 12, who has made 4 donations of her hair to Locks of Love since seeing your mom’s bald head and wanting to do something to help.

9. Missy says:

That’s awesome Danica! I did that about 3 years ago, I cut off 10 inches of my hair and donated it, it felt great to do!

10. Nina says:

$25 from the Moores!! We love you, lovie!! xxox

11. Jen says:

This is an awesome goal for the holiday season in memory of your mother! I donated my hair to Locks of Love four years ago, and I’m thinking of doing it again. Nothing felt better than chopping off those 12 inches and knowing they were going to a good cause!

12. Nina says:

$25 MOORE!!! ;) Make that $50 from your East Coast lovies.

13. Molly says:

I totally donated my hair when my dad was going through his chemo and radiation. Doing things like this to help someone else really helped me with the grieving process when he finally passed. I think this is a great idea!

14. ilovesteaks says:

great cause! you’ll have my support before this month is over!

15. Pingback: Donation December Update | Chic Runner