Morning Run

This morning I wanted to avenge my terrible run yesterday. The run where I felt like this.

I wanted to do just a sh0rt run as I’m still waiting for B to get down my winter running wear from the garage that we put up in storage… and it’s been BRRRRRRR cold in the morning. So I slowly got out of bed and wanted to snuggle right back in, but I was excited to listen to my new playlist that I loaded up last night for motivation.

I splashed cold water on my face, put on my shirt and finally took off. When I started, I wanted to just stop. It was so cold. I know, I know CA winters are nothing comparatively, but lately it’s been like mid to high 40s in the morning and that is chilly for me. It took me just a bit to warm up my legs and once I started I felt much better than yesterday. I started feeling better throughout the whole run and felt pretty proud of myself for once while running.

Sometimes it’s hard because I get down on myself for how slow I’m running or that I’m not feeling good or something, but this morning I just kept telling myself, I got out there, I’m getting it done and that is all that matters. It was one of the runs that got me going this morning and starts my day off feeling great. Yea, I didn’t run any faster or farther than I did yesterday, but I did listen to great music, watch the sun rise and got my mileage done. Here’s to not being so hard on myself and being happy with the mileage that is happening.

Winter training is tough, but keeping my eye on the finish line is what is going to motivate me through!

12 Responses to Morning Run

1. Jose says:

I read a tweet by “running quotes” some of your best runs come on days you didn’t want to run. I’m glad you had a nice run.

2. Courtney says:

Heh I’m at the exact same mental place right now! Not really happy with my speed or mileage but telling myself I’m getting out there, I’m getting it done. A few slow miles are better than no miles at all, after all :>

3. chiara says:

Anytime you take a long (more than a month or two) break from running, it is like this. You would be superhuman if you could just run just as fast without any running cardio base. You will get back to your prior fastness!

4. Joy says:

I find it doubly hard to get out my bed for a run when it’s cold & dark out.

I need to move.

Great job getting out there!

5. Julia says:

I hear ya, sometimes the hardest part is just getting out there, and I have to sometimes force myself to let go of the pressure of wanting to have a fast run and to instead just focus on getting the miles in and the job done. A “bad” workout is still better than giving up and not doing at all!

6. I totally feel ya on every single account of this post. Getting up to run when it’s cold out (it’s all relative, man) is just plain hard. Warm, snuggly bed >> cold, hard pavement/trails. I’m hard on myself about speeds, too, but you’re absolutely right, getting out to simply RUN makes you a stronger, better, healthier person. So cheers to that!

7. jules says:

What time do you wake up in the morning? I see your tweets when i’m still laying in bed and can’t believe you’re already running! It must be before 6am! How do you stay motivated?

8. Ashley says:

I just saw you on tv!! they’re airing promo commercials for My Fair Wedding! Can’t wait to see your episode, girl you are famous!!!

9. @DaniRuns says:

You go girly! It has been really cold, get those warm running clothes out ;)

10. Alisa says:

Hey lady! I totally felt like the second photo down in yoga yesterday but you know, I didn’t care at ALL. We’re out there in the early morning doing our thing!

Definitely have B help you unpack those winter running clothes, you and I are the type where anything under 60 is COLD. BRRRRR!!!!!!!

PS I’m hoping I can watch your wedding episode via online since I don’t have cable =(

11. Jessica says:

Oh my heavens do be so hard on yourself. You’re out there burning calories and doing good for you mental and physical health while far too many people are sitting on their buts gaining weight. :) Playlists always help. I found you on twitter btw, I look forward to reading your posts.

runningtobeskinny.com