My exprience with hot (well warm) yoga

Yesterday I had the brilliant idea to travel along with two of my co-workers to my new favorite yoga studio, The Purps, to try their red class out. This class is the ‘next level up’ than the one I have been taking, which is pushing my yoga practice (as they like to call it) to new levels. I haven’t found myself totally feeling more flexible but I have implemented some more stretching into my routine and am constantly reminding myself to sit up straighter and take deeper breaths throughout the day, which I like. I think that’s by far the hardest part of yoga for me, besides all the flexibleness that doesn’t seem to exist in my body.

So onto red class.

I arrive and knew that the class is set to a temperature of 99 degrees… Once I walk through the glass door to the upstairs studio I am hit with a wave of warmth. It was a little cool outside so it felt good. I laid out my mat and wished I had remembered my water bottle in my car. Our teacher came in and was in amazing shape. We start off with a few simpler moves and before I knew it the sweating began. Drips down my face, my back, my arms. I didn’t realize it but it zapped my energy way quicker than if it was a normal class where the temp is around 80ish.

I am a big time clock watcher and I, for the life of me, couldn’t find the clock in this new room. Half way through, I was frantically searching for the clock. I finally found it and I think it was hard to see because it had a weird glare on it. I kept checking that constantly and just kept getting sweatier and sweatier. I just wanted to make it to the end. The first time you take a class is the hardest too because it seems to go on FOREVER. The poses were a lot more difficult too and throw that in with a slippery sweaty mat and I was a hot mess. With sweat dripping down my nose I continued on. It was also hard to do the poses because of all the sweat.

As the time seemed to drag on, and the teacher seemed to come more than once to correct my practice, I literally got hotter and hotter. I was sweating so much my clothes were drenched and my hair was sticking to my neck. Finally I went into childs pose. (basically you do that when you can’t take it anymore) and leaned over to my friend, and I must have looked like death as I whispered for our other friends water bottle. I literally thought I was going to pass out. I started gulping down the water and tried to breath without freaking out. I was so light headed and literally felt like my heart was going to explode. I finally got up and kept going and kept sweating all over the place. I don’t think I’ve ever sweat that much in an hour. It was insanity.

I really tried to focus on my breathing and drank more water, but MAN, seriously it was hardcore. At one point I felt like I was going to cry! I thought I would rather run a marathon that do this EVER AGAIN! Which I never want to utter those words ever again! After the last ten minutes of my sweaty slippery disaster of a yoga session, we finally did an Hom, and a namaste and I was so glad I didn’t pass out. It was OVER! Of course after the class I was talking to my friends and trying to get myself together and they of course were laughing at me and my lack of ability to handle the heat and how I thought I was going to pass out.

So, even though it was a REALLY hard workout for me, I’m glad I stuck it out, I didn’t pass out and I did it, but I don’t think I’m an ideal candidate for Hot Yoga for a while when I can’t even handle warm yoga!

Alas, I am continuing on pushing myself out of my comfort zone when it comes to working out lately, it makes for a pretty hilarious story, and both my friends did say they would have called 911 for me. How nice.

16 Responses to My exprience with hot (well warm) yoga

1. Lisa says:

Don’t give up on it! I can’t say that I have done yoga in quite that warm of a room, but where I go, they have it close to 90. I agree that the sweat makes it hard. They make a great mat towel. I saw one at TJ Max for around $10!

Like you, the instructor seems to come over and correct my poses, but after a few sessions I am getting way better at it.

Good for you for trying new things….

2. Sandy says:

Hilarious! I love the detail! I have never even heard of this Hot Yoga..

3. Oh I’ve definitely been there in a hot yoga class. For me the key is to make sure I’m well hydrated before the class starts and to keep drinking the entire time. I end up really gross, really sweaty, but I usually walk out feeling great (or is that just some sort of dehydration-induced haze?).

Can’t wait to hear more :)

4. Kristy says:

Don’t give up!! Next time HYDRATE more, I guarantee you’ll like it. I would also recommend to bring a beach towel to put over your yoga mat so its not so slippery! Hope to see you at PThe urps soon!

5. I’m not a big fan of hot yoga since I hate being hot when I workout and I’ve always imagined this us how I would be! Glad you did it instead of me

6. Lori says:

Yet another reminder that I NEED to get in the habit of going to yoga classes at an actual studio…because the ones at the gym just aren’t cutting it! Maybe one day I’ll work up to hot yoga…

7. RoadBunner says:

So I recently bought my first yoga DVD though I haven’t even opened it yet! I HATE being in warm places so am pretty sure I’d hate hot yoga.

8. I used to do Bikrym yoga all the time….until the day I actually DID pass out. Now I am too afraid/embarrassed to go back. Sad. I am glad you made it out alive!

9. Sesa says:

I did Bikram Yoga for three months a few years ago. Loved it, I felt like the heat made me more flexible and focused. Only dropped out because it was so expensive.

The first session is always the hardest, but like running it gets easier if you’re consistent. I’m just getting back into yoga myself, and it’s tough but I know I’ll get better!

Have fun!

10. Bonnie says:

I’m extreme-heat sensitive, so I feel for you! Not every body is made for super-hot temps. You could hurt yourself! And I always got corrected in my regular yoga class. :)

11. Kathy Kluthe says:

I haven’t tried hot yoga for this very reason – I can barely stand saunas or steam rooms when I’m just sitting there, let alone being so hot and actually doing yoga.

12. Oh yes, the heat takes a bit to get accustomed to. And WATER certainly helps! I usually get to class about 15 minutes early to lie there and acclimate to the temps. But I LOVE it! It feels so much more challenging and I love how purifying it feels to sweat so much!

13. Karen says:

I’ve been to one and only one Bikram yoga class and had a similar experience as you. Dizzy, nauseus, other digestive ‘issues’ (or more like the fear of the issue), I actually had to leave class and sit outside. I think I had a full blown panic attack, which is so not the point of yoga! Never again. There’s something way more statisfying to me to have the salty sweat that I earned by running rather than sitting in a stuffy room!

14. Ok, I have to laugh at this. You are much more brave than me.

I tried to do yoga, (hot and otherwise) several times when I was going to college.

I learned that yoga is not for me and it releases too many toxins. I always end up puking everywhere. It is not pretty.

All of the moms in our neighborhood are yoga freaks because they just opened a new yoga place locally..

Stick with the running…or maybe even try a spin class?

15. Matt says:

oh no…I brand new to yoga and I signed up for one of those classes before I read this. It’s tomorrow morning – before work!! Sounds like I’m going to be dead…

16. Melissa says:

I about DIED in hot yoga. I was exhausted from it and felt more sick than anything. Those Yogites are better people than me:)