Laguna Hills Half Marathon Race Report

This past weekend I took part in the Laguna Hills Half Marathon on Memorial Day with my friend Kristy. We tried to get her a PR but alas it was not in the cards. With a hot and mostly boring course, we didn’t cross the mat with her new PR but we did have lots of fun out on that bike path. :) Here’s all of us before the race! We hit up the portapotties, and grabbed our bibs and before we knew it the sun was up and we were off!

From miles 1-3, I was running super cautiously. I was really nervous my shins were going to act up. I wore compression socks, which I’ve never worn during a race. They seemed to do the trick because around mile 4 I breathed a sigh of relief because my legs seemed to be holding up. Kristy and I chatted and enjoyed the scenery. It was pretty hilly though and we pushed through the hills. It also got fairly hot so that took it’s toll on us. We kept in good spirits and walked and ran through the hills.

The one thing was that the miles after 6 (I think) were pretty boring and just on a bike trail. There were only about 6 spectators out there… which was pretty boring. We both pushed each other along. Around mile 7 things became really bland and we just kept reminding ourselves that we were more than half way done. Thankfully my shins were okay the entire race and I made sure to tell all the volunteers thank you so much and really appreciate all those who make the race happen. FINALLY we reached mile 10 and I told Kristy that we really had to push to the finish and reminded her all the time that we were getting so close. Finishing up a  hill was a little ridiculous but we were finally done! Sadly, we missed Kristy’s PR but we did finish with smiles on our face! I can’t wait to see the race pictures either, I think we got some good jumping ones! I keep checking back on the website to see if they are posted!

Here’s us after the race. Super sunny! Great to see so many people and after the finish, I felt totally okay! I was so thankful that my shins were not hurting at all. I will have to wear my compression socks much more.

Kristy and I were on our way back to find some food where we parked! We were both starving. The camo ribbon is cool and the medal is nice. We picked up our t-shirts and goodie bags as well. The only bummer was there was no food after the race? I kept looking around and asking but there was none, only a box of oranges which freaked me out that so many dirty runners put their hands in them!

Then finally I got my first taste of fast food in forever! I told myself since I ran a half that morning that I could have a cheat day and went big with a double double from In and Out and boy was it amazing! Totally worth it :)

So overall, it was a great race, I was a little bummed that we didn’t get Kristy a new PR but oh well! We still had a lot of fun and she did just run 3 halfs in 3 weeks! So that’s a pretty cool accomplishment. I also was glad to be back out there and running and felt good the entire race, which was great! I took water at almost every station and never ate anything because I was scared to upset the stomach.

24 Responses to Laguna Hills Half Marathon Race Report

1. Audrey says:

Great job, you two!!! And boy, I’m craving In-n-Out myself now! ;)

2. great job, sounds like a tough one.

3. Good job! I’ve done this race twice and PRed the last time I did it. Something about the rolling hills that helps. But the sun = lose.

4. Great seeing you guys at the race, it was another warm memorial day. The only food I got was from brownies and cookies from the Corner Bakery booth, plus the beer at the beer garden!!

5. Lauren says:

You girls looked so cute! Great job!! hopefully I’ll be able to run a race with you girls soon! :)

6. Kristy says:

Like I said before THANK YOU for running with me. It definitely was fun having you there, even though I didn’t PR it was still a finish! WOOHOO!

7. Michelle says:

I always love your race recaps! Sorry the race was boring and you missed the PR. There will be other races, right :)

3 halfs in 3 weeks is SUPER impressive! Great job to Kristy!

8. glad you had a good race!

fast food post run is totally acceptable :)

9. ilovesteaks says:

So it didn’t help that I warned you about the bike path. And see, I told you that In-n-Out was open! :)
    Good seeing you guys at the race!

10. I am glad you had fun but man, that sounds like a boring race with no spectators of finish line fare.

11. julie says:

Great job ladies! I agree with you on the course being a bit boring. That heat sucked too, it made me drink too much water at the last water station and then I had to walk a bit (I think I saw you guys pass me, I recall a girl in those shorts with the animal print on the sides). And there’s nothing quite like seeing the mile 13 marker and then a hill. Lame. But hey – I qualified for Half Fanatics so it’s all good. :)

12. I have read your blog for so long and have never commented before. You did an awesome job on the race!! Glad you enjoyed In N Out! Mmmm delish!!

love me some in and out. i wish you could mail me some. le sigh

14. Glad that the socks worked out for you.. way to go!

15. 3 in 3 weeks?? congrats!!! to both of you.

I live in CA and seriously lived on in an out for awhile. I’m trying the veg thing but the one thing that’s gonna make me go back is that double double, I swear.

16. April says:

hey hey, great job!! hopefully see you this weekend at SD RnR!

17. Lisa says:

That is one race I wish I had run with a friend. The canyon is pretty, but it isn’t the most exciting race in the world.

I am glad the compression socks did the trick!

18. faye says:

YAY, another medal!! How bad were the hills? I’m really scared of the Nike women’s half in SF!

19. Amber says:

My 3 year old loved your Double-Double pic! I’ve never had a double double- but once- while pregnant- I ate two In-n-out burgers- animal style! OMG! – No fries tho. hehe

20. Jane says:

That’s great! Good job you two! My friend and I are training for the NY marathon. We recently started a 23-week plan on a site I found. http://www.fitango.com/actionplans/23-week-marathon-training-plan/29153 So far so good! Hopefully we don’t run out of steam. hehe

21. x-country2 says:

You TOTALLY deserved that burger!

22. skinnyrunner says:

bummer i wasnt home bc that race is in my backyard! oh and btw, your ring loos GORG in that picture!!

23. Alisa says:

Wantto come pace me to a PR? I seriously love when friends are willing to do that for others, it’s the best.

LOVE that race picture it is pretty awesome.

24. Mike Kahn says:

Great post.. I love the photos… especially the one with the medals :) Looks like a fun race.. Check us for ur motivational medicine. Real Runner Reasons.
    Gotta Run,