The 40 Day Challenge

So I’m finally back on a schedule. I must admit, I am not happy with my body. I have put on a few pounds recently and I can’t tell if it’s a switch of medication, me not being diligent in working out, or my bad eating habits. We’ll I’m currently going on week 4 of eating much better and though I haven’t drank soda for the past four weeks and haven’t had any fast food (SOB) I have yet to see anything change. That means it’s time to kick it up a notch. I am in charge of what I put into my body and what I do with my workouts and I just have to make it a priority to see results. If you aren’t happy with yourself, guess who is to blame. WHALA! Danica needs to get her sh!t together! So therefore the 40 day challenge was dreamed up.

Tara and I have started the 40 day challenge together, where we both run at least 3 miles for forty days straight. Currently, I’m on day 3 of the challenge and though it hasn’t been too much of a challenge yet, I know that just getting in the miles with a no excuses attitude is going to help me tremendously long term. I always have a tendency to get bored and give up easily. I don’t know why I do this but I know having someone to keep me accountable and a challenge to take on will help me push towards the end.  I also recently got a deal for a local yoga studio, which I went to my first class last night and it was hard in a great way! A few girls I know got the same deal and we are all excited to take classes together. It’s ALL about accountability for me. I can easily let myself down but I know better than to not show up when I know friends will be there.

Lately my bathroom has been looking like this:

Running shoes and dirty clothes littering the floor and I’m feeling good about it! Tomorrow I’ll recap my first yoga experience which was wonderful yet scary and started off with my friend and I being reprimanded for talking by another classmate.

So here’s my stats, and yes I don’t care much about my weight being online. Right now I am currently at about 156 pounds and I know my happy weight is about 140-145. I know it’s just a number but I also know that right now I’m not happy with the way I look and I am the only one who can change that. If i get to 150 and feel great, that doesn’t mean that the challenge ends and I stop working out. It means I’m at a good weight and I feel great.  I hope this challenge leads to a much more active lifestyle and through different classes and fitness techniques I hope I learn more about being healthy. I have already learned so much about cooking and eating and I’m always on the hunt to find better snacks and implement them into my diet.

So forty day challenge progress thus far:

Day 1 – Ran 3 miles. PAINFUL because of the pulled hamstring. Gym for 45 minutes doing abs and arms.

Day 2-  70 minute blue 2.0 yoga class at Purple Yoga. Ran 3 miles, hamstring starting to feel better.

Day 3- Ran 1 mile to gym. Ran 1 mile on treadmill. Gym work for 30 minutes doing abs and arms. Ran 1 mile home. Hamstrings are feeling better and I’m shockingly not DYINGLY sore from yoga yesterday.

This challenge paired with my much better eating habits should have awesome results… fingers crossed!

34 Responses to The 40 Day Challenge

1. Matt says:

Good luck! Can’t wait to see how it turns out! I kicked my training up a notch, and I’m down 7lbs over the past 2 months.

2. Tara says:

glad we have each other! 40 days of working our asses off here we come!!!!♥♥♥

3. Alex says:

I totally know what you mean. My weight has been making me crazy for months. I am seeing a nutritionist now since I know that is 70% of my problem.

4. Missy says:

That’s a great challenge, because at least you will run 3 miles each day in case you aren’t able to get your other workouts in! You will get back to your happy weight in no time! Although you look beautiful anyways!

5. Good luck! Great that you have a buddy!

6. Kelly says:

What a great idea! YOu know I’m in the same boat. Unfortunately I don’t have 40 days, more like 30 to get my a## back in shape!

7. Christy says:

Great challenge. Good luck with it! I’m sure you’ll feel great afterwards. That 3 miles a day challenge may be something for me to start too after my 10 mile race on Saturday (since I’m not signed up for any more races for a while…too much $$!). So that could be a great new goal for me too!

8. Natalie says:

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing! WHY are we sooo on the same page right now? You just made me feel so much better! I can’t believe I’m about to say this on the internet but I also recently got up to 155 which is a number I haven’t seen in about 4-5 years and my happy weight is right around 140-145 (usually always 142!) as well!
    I took responsibility about 10 days ago and I’m down to 148.
    You’re not alone :)
    P.S. YOU’RE AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL always!!!! Good luck!

9. Courtney says:

I’m actually in the exact same boat, I’m hovering around 155 (and have been for the last few months) and trying to get back down to 145… must be something in the water! ;)

10. Aj says:

I think you’re beautiful just how you are – in your pictures AND in person – but I know how it feels to not feel comfortable in your own skin. I love this idea..excited to hear how it goes! I would also talk with your doctor if you think meds are to blame, I know too many people who’ve put on weight because of rx side effects and there were other meds they could have been taking.

11. Ann says:

Working Out REGULAR is the first you need to do AND change it up frequently so your body gets in schock instead of getting used to. BUT it’s more important what you put in that body, a nice body is made in the kitchen! Think twice before you put something in your mouth. You have to eat regular but pay attention of what you eat. A good way is writing down everything (also the small bites) you consume. Do this for a few days and you would be surprised of the list at the end of the day. Once I made a piture of everything I ate and drank for an entire week, it made me realize how much I ate, having to make a picture of it made me back up of the snacking idea a few times. And I don’t even have a weight or bad eating habit. Try it and make a collage of the pictures from every day and post them online, it will help a lot.
    Good Luck Danica, hope to see you running Malibu again this year with Tara, would love to have the real tutus perform again. Ann.

12. Sesa says:

Your shoes are so cute.

You’re going to kick butt in this 40-day challenge! I know what it’s like to gain a few extra lbs. because of medication, so I feel for you. If it’s the BC pill (sorry if this is TMI), you might want to talk to your doctor about switching to another brand. That’s what I did, and within a few months my weight went back to normal.

Anyway, I always think you look great. You make running look so glamorous!

13. Nice work on the challenge! Love those bright shoes, btw!

14. kimi says:

do work. love this challenge! and i’m coveting your shoes. big time!

15. Kristy says:

Class was amazing last night. I’m totally on the same boat as you. I love going to classes with friends because it makes me go. This is a great challenge, I know you’ll do well!

PS I heard you get reprimanded yesterday! HAHA!

16. I love that you run to the gym. That is such a good idea. Good luck on the 40 day challenge. You put it on your blog so you HAVE to do it now…right? :-)

17. Jamie says:

I just found your blog and I am in LOVE. I am the same way- right now I’m about five pounds over my “happy weight” (at only five feet five lbs feels like a difference) and it’s driving me nuts. Annoying that we are tough on ourselves because I know I’m fit and so are you! Not to mention gorgeous! I love your running sneaks…the 40 day challenge sounds like something I want to do, too!

18. Gina says:

You’ve got to spill about the new eating habits! I’m curious! (and need some tips!)

19. Nicki says:

This is awesome! I love challenges — I may have to do this one myself at some point. :) 37 days left — you GOT this!

20. Michelle says:

Good luck! If this plan doesn’t work and you still feel like you’re gaining – consider seeing an endocrinologist! There could be more to the story – especially if you eating a healthy diet.

21. Michelle says:

I just recently found your blog and I am seriously SO inspired by you. I have been dealing with weight issues myself for the past year due to medication (infertility drugs..they are a killer). I love the idea of this challenge, I think I am going to jump on your bandwagon and do this with you from 2,000 or so miles away. Thank you so much for your honesty!

22. nicole says:

i need in on this!!!!!!!!

23. Fiona says:

Thanks so much for your really refreshing honesty! As of this morning I’m bang on 150lbs and if Im honest I hate it- at least 10lbs of it is exam diet and inactivity :(

xx

24. That’s such a good idea, I hope it works out for you! Wish I could be that dedicated!

25. Amber says:

I love your 40 day plan! And you must be super photogentic because you don’t look like you weight 156! I gained 60# fromy pregnancy and I did Atkins Oct-Dec and lost 20lbs and I have 7-12 lbs to go! the last few are so hard! Good luck & it’s great you have a partner! One thought though- your body will get used to the 3 miles per day. I would recommend switch it up a little with an extra mile or two here and there. :)

26. Sarah says:

How in the world is that your weight?! You look amazing and thank you for being so honest. I love your challenge and since we have the same ‘happy weight’, I will try it too. Thank you for the motivation!

27. Amber says:

So after seeing your picture of your pink shoes, I googled them and just think they are awesome and I love that they are cushioned shoes. Do you have a review on them, I didn’t see one. Do you like them?? I was thinking about getting new Saucony’s again but might try K-Swiss??

28. Sandy says:

You look great but good luck with your challenge. I have been dealing with ITBS and shin splints so I am a little discouraged right now because I have to cut down on my running!
    Take Care!

29. Demi says:

Good luck! What a coincidence- I took my 2nd ever yoga class this week too. I am also trying hard to work on my weight right now, so at this point, any change is good.

30. Kristen says:

I have been VERY BAD with comments these last few month but I am still reading.

Very cool idea – especially having a buddy to do it with. A good challenge makes the training more interesting (and makes you more guilty if you don’t do it!)

I know what it is like to not feel comfortable in your body but to an outsider you still look beautiful! :)

31. kassy says:

but isnt running 3miles everyday bad? :D

32. Brittany says:

Ok well you look awesome!! It must be something in the water because I’ve gained as well…I’m up to about 150 and my happy weight is closer to 140…I can’t wait to do this challenge with you!

33. Kelsey says:

Sign me up! Totes excited about this!

34. Sara says:

The challenge looks great, I will join this as well. But remember, you are gorgeous–inside and out regardless of the # on the scale!