Cleaning it up

So after Easter, I realized I was back into my old habits of eating REALLY poorly. Example: Tons of fast food, tons of soda, tons of candy. I have the mentality of if I happen to get one soda, I end up drinking like 5, which isn’t a good mindset to have. I also often eat out on the go and when I’m there I kind of think, well, I’m here so I might as well just get the worst thing possible for me.

I AM AN IDIOT WHEN IT COMES TO EATING. I know this. Last week I did really well, though event weekend was tough with drinking a lot of monster and eating sugary things to survive, but now I am titling may, “MOJO MONTH” and I’m going to work hard to make drastic changes in my diet and working out schedule, now with work not being insane. One thing I do well is I drink a TON of water, like way more than I should and I am part water buffalo, but it’s helpful to me and makes me feel great.Ā  Here are a few other things that I’m going to implement in my daily life to get my mojo back.

1. NO MORE FAST FOOD. It’s sad, but it’s a must. No more Chickfila. No more In and Out, Taco Bell, Golden Eagle. GAH, goodbye loves.

2. NO MORE SODA. I think I have got this combated and I realized why I love soda so much. I am like the fish on Finding Nemo. I love the bubbles! I haven’t had soda in quite some time, but I am not going to have any and when I want some bubbles I am going to drink the carbonated fruit flavored water.

3. EAT MORE VEGGIES. So my idea of a vegetables and fruit is basically fries, because consider them vegetables. Other than that I eat NOTHING that is veggie/fruit related. BAD. I’m really going to work hard at eating veggies with every meal. I also have a new obsession with smoothies! Finally yesterday I got my bum to the market and loaded up on fresh fruit and made myself an awesome smoothie for dinner. Now that I’ve had smoothie success I am more for making them much more often and loved starting off my day with one this morning.

Such a good, healthy and FILLING dinner! Good Danica! I even put broccoli in my smoothie and couldn’t taste it one bit. So now I’m on a smoothie kick and it’s such an easy and healthy way to get so many veggies and fruits that I don’t normally eat. So point for me.

4. NO MORE CANDY in mass quantities. I seem to think that candy is my middle name and I go CRAZY with candy. So I have vowed that I will not eat excessive amounts of candy. A few peanut M&Ms every now and then, a peanut butter cup here and there is okay, but eating 100 tootsie rolls a day is not.

5. EAT HEALTHY SNACKS. I like eating healthy snacks and have really tried to implement them into my daily routine. Aka fruit and veggies. Carrots. Apples. Bananas. Dried Fruit. and my new love, Hardboiled eggs!

As for exercise and fitness, I think I am finally back after being burnt out from long distance running! I am looking forward to running a half at the end of this month and once I kick this cold I will be back hitting the streets and putting in miles and back to the gym, which I am totally looking forward too. As for protein, I know it’s important to my diet and I also always forget that I can easily make chicken on my little grill! So I am going to get some of that to make super quick and easy. I am really starting to feel healthier and better and finding fun ways to eat healthy is actually entertaining. Not going to lie I do miss my fast food but I am also finding new ways to fill myself up and how to find ‘filling’ foods ala smoothies.

I am looking forward to the half and even thinking about signing up for a few more races over the summer! So here’s to Mojo Month!

22 Responses to Cleaning it up

1. Kelly says:

Sign me up! I need to get on this plan ASAP.

2. Megan says:

good luck to you and Mojo May! It’s nice to hear that other runners get burnt out on long distances too – I am also working on re-loving running and staying motivated. Here’s to getting our mojo back! :)

3. I am OBSESSED with smoothies right now. I have them everyday (with spinach – yay veggies!). Sometimes twice a day. I will actually work out so I can have a smoothie afterwards – like, I justify it that way. :-)

I love me some diet pop though. I’ve given it up but I’m nicest to people around me if I have one a day.

4. Nicki says:

It’s a great time of year to get hooked on smoothies since fresh fruit is in season! I used to drink dr. pepper and diet coke religiously, but I was able to cut it out, and I don’t miss it! Yay for Mojo May! :)

5. Natalie says:

THANK YOU for this post! I’m in a massive diet rut as well. I totally get the bubbles, ha! I don’t drink soda either but once in a while my mouth craves that fizz, almost burning feeling of the carbonation :) “Mojo May” is a great idea. I think I’ll join you! Good luck. We all know you’ll do great as always! xoxo

6. Ingrid says:

LOVE this.I am digging the Mojo Month…that’s going to be incorporated into my mantras for the month, thanks for the inspiration!!

7. Meghan says:

Good luck! I go in phases where I just stop eating candy (my weakness!) altogether. It helps me cut back. I used to grab a diet coke when I was tired in the afternoon, but now I drink flavored, sparkling water and get outside for some fresh air. It really helps! I wish I had a better blender to make smoothies- they are so good!

8. Sam says:

If it makes you feel any better, I didn’t run this morning and I’ve had at least a dozen homemade ginger snaps my boss brought in. Damn her.

9. Bonnie says:

CAndy is my downfall and I too, if I hope to gain energy and get my life back, need to reign in the healthy eating. I’ve used the end of grad school as a crutch to eat like crap. I’ve been pressed for time and had no desire to cook, but that is over and I’m using your motto of Mojo May!

10. RunEatRepeat says:

It was great to meet you at the expo Saturday! Sorry if I smelled.

You can totally do Mojo May! Good luck!!

11. Alisa says:

Girl, you crack me up!

You got Mojo May in the bag lady.

You should try adding spinach to the smoothie too (I know you hate all things lettuce) but in smoothies you can’t even taste it—even Justin couldn’t tell!

12. kenzie says:

It’s really frustrating to go trough this! I did so well Feb – March and then April KILLED ME. I’m right there with you, sisterfriend. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! :)

13. Becky says:

this is so funny because after my bday month, I realized I needed a kick in the butt too – this whole month I’m doing no alcohol, chocolate, desserts, breakfast pastries, or fried food!! The hardest part has been fried food but I think I’m feeling better in general. Good Luck!

14. Missy says:

Good luck with changing your diet! That’s great! Awhile ago I found out that I had acid reflux so I had to give up sodas and now when I do drink one it’s only like 1/4 of it, just to get the taste lol It will take time but you can do it!

15. Chrissie says:

I seriously LOVE smoothies! My all-time fave is the Cat Cora one that was published in RW a few years back.

16. Ari says:

Good luck… I think you have great goals so I ‘m sure you’ll do great!

17. Jaime says:

So glad I’m not the only one who is looking to get back on track! After having hernia surgery in March, it has been REALLY hard to get back out there and start running regularly. It’s amazing how quickly I slumped into the “I get to sit in front of the TV and not workout because my Dr told me so” attitude. But now I have the green light to run, and I can’t seem to find my mojo!

18. Stephanie says:

Tip! I love a smoothie too and one favourite is with frozen banana*, milk and peanut flour (trader joe’s sells it). Who doesn’t like bananas and peanut butter? well its like that in a smoothie. I also add spinach which you can’t taste, but i’d imagine other veggies work too.
    *buy bananas in any state of ripeness (but don’t freeze yet to ripen ones-yuk) chop them in to 4 pieces, lie them on a baking tray and freeze. When frozen transfer to a plastic bag or box if you like. This way, they don’t freeze/stick together. Having them frozen makes the smoothie cold without ice. Its almost like icecream!

19. Heather says:

haha you sound like me! my parents giving us easter baskets didnt help with the candy thing! I remember awhile back when you ave up chic fil a for awhile. I just don’t know how you do it haha!

20. Katie says:

Power to you! My eating habits are horrible as well. Could you imagine if we weren’t active??? I hope we can keep running forever! Continuing running is easier than changing eating habits. Good luck!! :) :)

21. Jayme says:

Goodluck! And don’t be too hard on yourself :)

22. Erin says:

Ummm Danica! Are we twin sisters! Candy is my middle name too and I have recently given it up in the masses. We are in the same boat! You go girl!