Finally using it…

If I had a dollar for every time my mom told me, “I just thought the fabric was so cute!” I would be a millionaire. She always said that, I think partly to justify her spending so much time in fabric stores and money on fabric. My mom made beautiful quilts throughout the last ten years of her life, and had little quilting pals, and loved to spend hours and hours looking at fabrics, cutting, sewing, trying new patterns. I truly love the quilts she made for me, even though I was such a brat and only wanted ‘huge quilts’, because I didn’t see the point of a lap quilt. I have two king sized quilts, when looking back, realizing how much MORE sewing went into that to make it so huge… what was wrong with me!

When I went to college, she started sending me pillowcases so I would get mail at school, even though I was only 45 minutes away from home. I never knew how much I would cherish my quilts that she made me or the little trinkets she would send.  How they would become the solid memory of how much my mom cared for me, was proud of me and loved me. She used to make me pillow cases for all the holidays and for little things I loved. Flamingo pillow cases, chicken pillow cases, fast food pillow cases, sushi pillow cases, valentines pillow cases, Christmas pillow cases, I probably have 30. I remember when she made me this pillow case and I promised her when she gave it to me, over seven years ago, I wouldn’t use it until the time was right. I remember looking at it and thinking that time in my life when it would be right to use it was so far away, and I would probably never use it! I loved how she always tried to justify the random and fun pillow cases with the ‘I thought the fabric was just too cute!’ line, and she definitely did that with this special pillow case. Which I totally agree with, the fabric is ADORABLE!

I realized I still hadn’t taken it out last night. I don’t know why I didn’t, but it was almost like it made everything official, even though I have been engaged for over 2 months. I reached into the chest I have with stuff that reminds me of her and special things that she’s made for me and my brother, and I saw it, sitting on top of the chest and I knew it was finally time. I could finally use it. I took out the pillow case that I thought was the best one she’s ever made, the one that I haven’t ever used yet!

With little wedding cakes and a strip of pink hearts and rings all over the pillow case, I knew my mom was smiling down on me and reminding me that the fabric was just too cute to pass up!

I thought about this post for a while last night. A lot of time, planning a wedding without a mom is tough. It causes a lot of emotions to come to the surface that you didn’t think were there anymore. I am so lucky to have great figures in my life who take the time and make sure I feel extra special during the ‘mom’ moments. Most of the time I keep my posts pretty non-personal and running/fitness related, or try too, but I knew this would be a memory I wanted to keep written down somewhere. It’s those moments that make a difference. Thanks for thinking ahead Mom!

33 Responses to Finally using it…

1. Melissa says:

So precious – i love it! This is a tradition you should do with your own kids. (If you decide to have kids, that is.) :)

2. That is a really cute story! I’m glad you have something sort of fresh from the past to remind you of her.

3. Cassie says:

How sweet! I was tearing up reading your post. The pillow case is super cute too.

4. Ally says:

Oh my goodness, I love this post. That is so, so sweet. I went to college 1,200 miles away from home and my mom mailed me cards or candy or something every single week. I still have all the cards, letter and even a half eaten bag of gummi bears that she sent me. My mom sewed a bunch as well and to this day, my friends and I have the blankets she made us in high school.

I’m so glad you have those memories and that you have that super special pillowcase.

5. Melissa R says:

What a blessing that you have these items to remember her by. Very sweet post.

6. Nicki says:

I am so glad you wrote this post. It nearly brought me to tears. This is what’s important in life.

7. Linda says:

What a beautiful pillow case!

On a related note…why can’t I get yo RSS feed on my google reader? >:(

8. Keri says:

Awwww so sweet. Thank you for sharing…

9. Aw, that fabric is adorable and that’s so cute of your mom to give it to you a long time ago. Such a nice thing for you to have a piece of your mom with you during your wedding planning.

10. Stephanie says:

yeah, a little tear fell, so sweet, thanks for sharing.
    I love it when my parents send me little things. I lived in the states and my parents in the UK when we got married. I did a lot of the usual wedding stuff without my mum too. But for a different reason, only 3500 miles separated us. But still i kinda know how you feel.
    We bought crockery for our wedding with the money we recieved and Dad packed it up to ship to us in the states. In each box he added a little note. They were so cute; with added terrible humour. I now keep them in a few places; on my fridge and in a cook book. In the box of soup bowls ‘souper days with souper people’ with the salad bowl ‘bowl them over with green salad, fruit salad, rice or pasta – never a disaster’ and with some plates ‘good food is a way to a man’s heart, greens is a way to fart’ There was a saucy one, but i can’t find it :(

Anyway, glad you shared and that you have little things like this to remind you of how awesome you mum was. xx

11. This is so special, Danica. I’m tearing up. I’m so glad your mom thought ahead and gave you that pillowcase. You should incorporate it into your wedding somehow if you can :)

12. Charlotte says:

You made me tear up a little bit!

13. KIMpossible says:

What a sweet story and what a sweet mom you were blessed with! So thankful you have that pillowcase to cherish always and forever! =)

14. Aj says:

This post brought tears to my eyes! I helped my best friend plan her wedding a few years after her mother passed. It was such a moving experience. I remember helping her think of ways to remember her mother throughout her wedding so that in some ways her mom could “be” there without it feeling too sad for her. That pillowcase is definitely a wonderful memory of your mother to carry into your wedding planning and marriage!

15. nicole says:

How cool to have those memories and be able to snuggle next to her at night!

*tears* & hugs for you d! miss and love you!

16. SP says:

That is so sweet!

I can not relate to this, but if you aren’t already, I recommend reading A Practical Wedding blog. They talk about things like this from time to time. Plus it is fantastic anyway.

17. Samantha says:

That is a beautiful story.

I just found your blog recently and I’m excited to read more.

That professional picture of you with your Garmin on your about me page is absolutely gorgeous!!

18. Bonnie says:

She’s with you in spirit and in your heart. Those who touch us so deeply always are.

19. I love this so much. You were truly blessed with a sweetheart of a mother.

20. Morgan says:

This might be the sweetest thing ever. I’m so happy your mom thought ahead for times like these.

21. lindsay says:

Love this post! How lucky you are to have had such a wonderful mother! I love your blog.

22. Oh Danica, you’re not suppose to make me cry on a Friday. :)
    What a sweet thoughtful mom. I know exactly how you feel planning a wedding without a parent. My dad had passed away about a year before our wedding. So it was hard not having your dad to be the one giving you away and dancing with you. But my brothers stepped in and were amazing throughout the whole wedding. And I knew that my dad would have been quite proud of us. I know your mom will be very proud of you too. You’re going to be a gorgeous Bride!

23. Shelly says:

Danica
    Im glad you shared this story. I know what you are going thru not having your Mom here for such a special time in your life. It’s a bittersweet time. I love that you have treasures that she gave you that you can cherish and make you know that she loved you so much. Pillow Cases are such a cute idea! You can bet I will do that with my girls!
    Shelly

24. I swear this story brought tears to my eyes!

That is the sweetest thing:)

25. Shannon says:

That’s so special!

This makes me wish that I knew how to sew so that I could make a few pillow cases!

26. Mary Rose says:

I know you will cherish all of those beautiful pillowcases that your sweet momma made for you! She was a wise and special lady and I truly belive that she is right there beside you!

27. Danica, what a sweet, sweet momento from your mom. I LOVE that she had so much fun pickng out just the right fabrics for you and had the thought to make an engagement pillow for you!

28. Kristen says:

What a beautiful gift that your mom left for you! Someone above said it would be cute if you could incorporate this into your wedding somehow, and it would be! This fabric is adorable and I love that you never used it until now!! Anytime I got something from my mom in the mail I’d use it immediately just to feel close to her since I was so far away from home.

29. Sandy says:

I love reading your blog because you have such neat stories to share, especially those about your mom. My grandma does the same thing for all of her grandkids. Congrats on your back to back marathons. That is awesome but crazy at the same time!!

30. Kelly says:

What a special memory to have. :)

31. bunny says:

Oh my gosh, I read this at work and had to stop like 5 times to try and keep from crying. This is so special and I’m so glad you have it to remind you of your mom looking down on you with lots of love.

32. Miss E says:

How special, I got chills just reading this post! She is definitely smiling down on you from Heaven. xoxo

33. Alison says:

So sweet — what a lovely place to lay your head each night!

I lost my dad at a young age, and even years later there are so many things that are hard…these kinds of big milestones particularly. I know my dad would have really wanted to walk me down the aisle at my wedding.

You’ll be thinking about your mom all throughout your wedding day, and in that way she will be right there with you…