Turn that frown upside down.

I’m not going to lie,  yesterday I woke up thinking it was Thursday, and I have never been SO relieved that it was only a Wednesday! I am not looking forward to this weekend, but last night, Tara told me that we’ll be okay, and we are in it TOGETHER. I think I’m not so worried about LA, but the next weekend. The next weekend when I have to do the same thing all over again. I think I’m comforting myself in the thought that people do this all the time.

Perhaps this is all coming to the surface right now because I had another horrible run Tuesday night. Another run I was looking forward too and another one that was pretty much horrible. Many could say don’t worry taper runs are usually bad, which would make sense if I put in solid training.

I know that my maniac sister won’t let me down this weekend and sticking through it together will make for a much more fun time. Then something very sad happened yesterday in Long Beach, and our company has worked with one of the people who passed away in the crash, and my heart hurts for Long Beach and their tremendous losses.

After thinking about that all day, I realized I was being a whiny baby. It’s easy to get caught up in the every day hurry and hustle and bustle and when it comes down to it, I can breathe. I can move. I can love and see colors and learn new things every day. I am lucky enough to run a marathon this weekend! I can laugh with my friends and I am so happy to be alive and as blessed as I am. I have some of the best people in my life and I’m now looking forward to this weekend. I’m looking forward to these awesome girls making me laugh and meeting new people at the expo tomorrow.

It’s going to hurt, but I get the opportunity to do it. As Tara put it, “I haven’t woken up in a long time and not been able to move anything.” So true, but right now I’m going to look forward to that feeling and when I struggle to get up stairs and grip my chair when sitting down I’m going to be happy that I finished another race and had fun with my friends, and I’m lucky enough to hang with these awesome girls two weekends in a row. That’s what running is. It’s for fun, and this weekend, will be a ton of fun.

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

11 Comments

• Reply Julie (A Case of the Runs)

I’m also trying to look at the up-sides:

– hey, it could have been 90 degrees this weekend!
    – extra food is warranted
    – no running for a while after that (I know this doesn’t apply to you, but you should consider taking M-F off next week!)
    – I’m raising $$ so I’d better go do it for my sponsors and the cause
    – it beats working on my dissertation (furrr real)

March 17, 2011 at 11:16 am
  • Reply Ali @ Ali Runs

This was such a great post! It is sad that sometimes it takes such a great tragedy to figure out what is really important in life. It is so easy to get caught up in the negative and forget that there is so much to be thankful for all around us everyday. Thank you for sharing this.

March 17, 2011 at 1:15 pm
  • Reply J

You’re upcoming runs are going to be great! If they aren’t, what’s is going to happen? You will likely be disappointed but there’s always another day, another race (as cliche as that sounds).

Like you said, running is about having fun – and as long as you have fun, then the race was a tremendous success! Keep your spirits up, you are going to do wonderfully!

March 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm
  • Reply Stephanie

You said it, its about fun, and you know you will have fun.

I’m trying to convince myself that in 10 days my triathlon will be fun, that i will be okay with what ever tiem i get as its my first. But really i’m just scared shitless right now.

You will be fine, you know whats coming. Fun Fun Fun!!

March 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm
  • Reply Sarah

Danica, you will do GREAT! Try not to worry about your bad run. It sounds like you have a fun weekend with some fab girls to look forward to! The race is just…oh, four hours of it! :) Seriously, though, best of luck to all of you girls and have fun!

March 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm
  • Reply Spike

Wonderfully honest post, we all go through it. I can also see colors and I love to mock my colorblind friends.

March 17, 2011 at 7:39 pm
  • Reply Page

That accident is so sad, but I’m glad that you are looking on the bright side of things. What’s even brighter is the opportunity to see your face in two weeks!

GOOOOOOOOD LUCK, D!

March 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm
  • Reply Missy

Good luck this weekend and next weekend! You are going to do great and it’s such an opportunity to be able to run and you should take advantage of that! Sometimes I and we need that reminder that there are people that are not able to run or do anything physical because of something terrible and we are just very fortunate to live healthy lives!

March 18, 2011 at 6:52 am
  • Reply Just Run With It

I’m so sorry to hear about that accident, that’s so awful :( Best of luck to you this weekend, it sounds like you have a great attitude about it. Just have fun with it, it probably will just be a fun experience for you ladies, but if it’s rough? Make it a misery trip (you know, the kind that you always look back and laugh at the ridiculousness of it all when you’re done). I’ll be thinkin’ of ya! Woohoo!!

March 18, 2011 at 10:32 am
  • Reply Nicole

Great attitude!! You will rock this race!

March 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm