Really? This Weekend?

So LA is looming. Approaching Quickly. On the Horizon. Around the corner.

GAH! I can’t believe it. Seriously. Really, that fast? I’ve never had this feeling either, but oh wait, I have not one but TWO races quickly approaching, because oh yea, Oakland is the weekend after. When did I think this was a good idea? Meh! Since there is impending rain for LA (let’s not even think about that, I’m already beyond freaked out), we have opted to save the tutus and tiger apparel for Oakland the following weekend and are going for the Green this weekend! We will be sporting green shirts and black capris, and Tara and I realized that this is perfect since it’s Saint Patrick’s Day! Tutus in the rain would just be a little much. :/

This past weekend, I should have ran but I didn’t. FAIL of life. I’m going to run tonight after work so that is something I’m looking forward too and hopefully it will erase the bad 5 miler I had last week.

Shea and I also had a little night out this weekend, hence why I didn’t run. :/ BUT, it was one of the most fun nights I’ve had in a while! I usually am way to tired from work, or have a long run or something else to do that I rarely go out, but this weekend I was pretty darn fun! For some reason we thought it would be great to get duck whistles at Ralphs and we wore them everywhere. I thought B was going to kill me.

Man! It was a lot of fun! Hurting the next day was um…. pretty rough! Not as rough as next weekend will be I’m sure. I’m seriously just trying not to think of the impending rain. What have you done in a race with rain. I think I could do a 5K in the rain, but a full…. Um…. I’m just not thinking about it!

28 Responses to Really? This Weekend?

1. Tara says:

I pray our green brings us luck and we don’t die a slow horrible death! ♥♥♥

2. I did a full in pouring rain, and I got a chafe mark the size of two quarters on my thigh. Didn’t know it happened until I tried to get my legs sprayed with KoolnFit after the race and felt the sting of a lifetime. Good times!

I’m not going to take weather reports seriously until tomorrow. I’m just glad it won’t be 80.

3. cheryl says:

Good AM! Well I’m looking to accomplish my first Marathon this Sunday too :) Trying to keep my mind off of it but DAMN! Does this happen everytime the week before the marathon (even if its not your first)? Any tips? I would say good luck but I know you will Rock it :)

4. diane says:

I did the Portland Marathon in the pouring rain and chilly temps.

Use a lot of anti-chafe!

Surprisingly, after a while you sort of forget you are soaking wet! At least I did until I took my armwarmers off and subsequently froze! When I tried to put them back on it was like trying to put on a wet swimsuit.

Definitely wear a hat with a brim, too!

5. Morgan says:

Girl you have WALKED 26.2 miles after walking 13.1. You have ran multiple marathons in a row to become a Maniac. You CAN run a full in the rain, I know you can… and WILL! Just slather on the body glide and make it happen! :)

6. Ashley says:

Hey just wanted to say love your site in general. All of your posts are great, and they really help me keep up with my own running, even when I’m not feeling up to it. Good luck with the race this weekend! Rain Rain Go Away!

7. Michelle says:

I have done a half marathon in a monsoon. Last years Flying Pig. I was trying to get a PR and quickly changed that to just trying NOT to get hurt! Once your wet, one foot in front of the other same as dry.

I also did a 20mile training run in rain. It started as a drizzle for about 4-5 miles which was sort of nice since it was August…then it got interesting thunder, lightning, it was nuts.

It was fun, embrace the rain, you can’t change it…so enjoy!

At least that is what I am telling myself as I am getting married on FRIDAY and they are calling for isolated thunderstoms!

8. Stephanie says:

Aww well ye won’t melt lass, ya ain’t made of sugar!
    Good luck, hope the rain stays away so you enjoy your second to last Full for a while.

9. cindylu says:

I was feeling so great about the LA Marathon and then the reports of rain started coming in. I abandoned a short 6-mile run because of the rain. I’m such an LA girl.

Good luck this weekend. If I see you at the expo, I’ll say hi.

10. Jeff says:

I did a half in the rain in December in Virginia. It was about 35 degrees. Soaked to the bone and with numb arms I still PR’d by 5 minutes. Maybe it helped me want to finish faster.

11. Brittany says:

I did Portland last October in a torrential downpour. Cover your ENTIRE body in Bodyglide!! I chafed in places I’ve never chafed before.

Aside from that, as long as it’s not cold, it’s not too bad. Wear a hat and wear dri-fit or wool socks.

Good luck!

12. Spike says:

Duck whistles (or even a Kazoo) while out drinking is always a great idea.

Beautiful house.

13. Shannon says:

Make sure to body glide everything! Seriously, it seems that when material gets wet, it rubs everything the wrong way.

14. Astro says:

I used to build houses and have been in several nice ones, but we do not have views like that in central Illinois. Hell, I want to visit them. Will B’s parents adopt?

15. You’ve got this ChicRunner! Have an awesome time at LAM!

(Damn, how come i’ve still not run my namesake race yet? Haha!)

16. naomi says:

after running portland in the pouring rain for all 26.2+ miles, i’d have to say over do it on the body glide, use the vaseline at the aid stations (if they have it) – i had zero chafing or blisters. also, if the temps are warm enough, don’t over layer. it’s better not to have too much clothing on you. i used a tshirt & shirts and was so glad that i did. and don’t forget a hat to keep the rain off your face! good luck and hope to see you when you come up to oaktown!

17. Jason says:

Of my 10 marathons 6 have had rain…the one in Bellingham, WA last year was rain for 26.2. So here are my two bits.
    1) spandex under your shorts
    2) know your body temp – don’t wear to much it will get warm and heavy
    3) enjoy – I always run faster in the rain. Good Luck!

18. ilovesteaks says:

I hope the rain holds off for you guys! Can’t wait to hear how you guys do!

19. RoadBunner says:

You are going to do great!

Like Naomi, after running Portland in the pouring rain, this is what I did or what I’d do if I could do it again:

1) Body glide EVERYTHING. I got a random chafey spot on my hip that would never ever chafe under normal circumstances. Seriously, Head to toe Bodyglide. I also Bodyglided my feet and did not have one blister which I think was awesome.

2) Start off in a garbage bag. You’re going to get soaking wet even with the bag, but it is nice to not feel like you’re getting soaking wet from the beginning. I ran 8 mile with it, realized I was soaking wet anyway, and tore it off then. But it made me feel like I was staying dry longer.

3) Don’t wear a lot of layers. Running jacket? You’re going to get soaked under it. For me I like to be lighter for rainy runs. A close fitting long sleeve shirt, maybe gloves.

4) Wear a hat with a brim to keep water off your face.

5) If you have someone spectating you might have them have an extra pair of socks. I didn’t change mine out, but you might want to change a halfway through the race.

20. Sarah says:

I hate running in the rain, absolutely hate it, so I feel so bad about your weather report! I ran a half in NYC last spring in a crazy downpour and it was about 40 degrees (compared to sunny and high 60s the day before!)! My only suggestions are to braid your hair, wear a hat with a brim, and have dry clothes available as soon as possible after. Once you’re soaked, you won’t really notice the rain as much – but it still sucks. Good luck! I hope the weatherman is a liar!

21. Elisabeth says:

I did the Nike Women’s Marathon last October in the rain and I PR’d by 22 minutes, even after spraining my ankle at mile 22 (not from the rain, I’m clumsy and stepped off a curb funny), so even with an injury I think the rain is great.
    My tips are these:
    First, definitely Body Glide EVERYWHERE. That’s my biggest tip, even if you don’t think you need to, the rain is a whole different ball game.
    Second, wear a hat with a brim, it’ll keep the rain out of your eyes.
    Third, if you put on sunblock just in case the sun comes out make sure it’s water proof and not just sweat proof, that stuff stings when it gets in your eyes.
    Fourth, wear light layers, you’re going to be wet no matter what, and wearing a ton of layers will just make you heavy and soggy (I did capris, tank and light pullover that I could throw if I didn’t want it anymore and gloves that I did throw after about 5 miles.)
    Last, have fun. Running in the rain can be an amazingly fun adventure. :)

22. Page says:

I can’t WAIT to see your tiger outfit! You are going to be great and have a fantastic race!

23. Eric says:

Lots and lots of Vaseline. Lol. Helps the H2O run down the body.

24. Stephanie, my mom used to say that all the time. “You’re not made of sugar, you know…”

I don’t have tips other than DO IT! Rain runs are awesome! One of my best (non-race) running experiences was during a heavy rain in San Francisco. Visibility was like 30 feet, and only a handful of runners were out on a usually busy route. We all gave our wave and nod, acknowledging each other’s lunacy.

Then…
    I see another runner approaching, so I lift my hand to do the “yup, we’re crazy” hello.
    She lifted her hand.
    Then she lifted her arm up higher.
    So I lifted my arm higher.
    And, as we passed, she gave me a huge hi-five.

*SMACK!*

Coolest. Runnergirl. Ever.

I will never forget it.

25. That chandelier in the kitchen looks amazing! I would die over that too :)
    I agree about the rain- running for half an hour or so is fine, but any longer and i’d be craving a hot shower the whole time :) good luck with the races!!!

Nice house!! Gorgeous views!

Hope the rain stays away this weekend. I did a sprint triathlon in the rain once- it sucked!

27. Chrissie says:

Two words: Body Glide! I would also take a poncho or even trash bag to wear over your gear while you are waiting around for it to get started.

28. Ron says:

Have a GREAT race & I will see you in Oakland :-)