20 miler. CHECK

FINALLY! I put this off, off, off. I’m speaking for myself, but I just loathe 20 milers in training. They make you SO tired, sore, and they just take so much time. Alas, running with a friend makes things THAT much more fun! Maritza and I met up on Saturday morning bright and early and if it took 8 hours, the tour of torture was going to get done that day. Starting in Santa Monica at our normal ‘spot’, we took off right about 7:30. If you saw my last lovely post about complete and total burn out on training and full marathons, you know how I feel about my two upcoming back to back races.

So when we took off, after running a measly 8 miles between my 16 miler and this 20 miler, I knew it would be a struggle, but I also knew the importance of getting it done training wise. We started off and I just counted down the miles. We stopped a few times as there are many stop lights along the route that we ran. We talked and caught up and I found myself telling her that I was looking forward to running with her and catching up. No matter how long it took to get the 20 miles done, I knew we could do it, but I was more so looking forward to¬† hanging out with her, and we had a blast. We both fell twice. It was REALLY warm out, and we traveled a pretty hilly and different route. Past some GORGEOUS movie star mansions, where I took a digger.It doesn’t look that bad but I think the bruising is much worse now! Maritza grabbed for my fuel belt, and sadly enough I was on the ground before she got a hold of me. We both fell twice. I don’t get it. I’ve only ever fallen three times on a run. ALL WITH MARITZA, WITHIN THE PAST 2 MONTHS. If that isn’t a sign, I don’t know what is…

Along many different streets, the hills, and the heat, I was glad we pushed through. The last few miles were the best because we both pumped up the jams and took off! It was a great way to finish the longest run I’ve completed since last October! I was glad it was over and now I feel much, much better about LA. I have my fueling down, a great new fuel belt to wear at the race, and my outfit is ready. I was feeling a little dumpy about the race before this 20 miler. I’m still not particularly going for a land speed record, and know I’m far from PR shape, but I’m glad that I have confidence that I will finish and it won’t be HORRIFIC. The only thing that really hurt during the run were my feet, they were just a little tired, but besides that I fared well.

We finished off the run with delicious slurpees since I had to head home to quickly get ready for a friend’s engagement party. I wasn’t THAT sore after the run, just a little stiff and my knee now has a HUGE bruise on it and the scrape is healing. I got a sweet sunburn too, so that’s radical. I’m going to shoot for a 13-15 miler this weekend to see how things go, but I am feeling much better about the races now and looking forward to running shorter distances. :)

19 Responses to 20 miler. CHECK

1. Great job on the training run! At least you got it over with and now you can focus on your upcoming races! :)

2. Tim Wilson says:

Nice job, it is all (ok, mostly) mental to get past that 20 miler.

3. katie says:

that picture is freakin amazing. you look like you just ate the 20 mile monster.

4. Stephanie says:

applaud the 20 miler.
    Tut tut tut at the sunburn. :)

5. Char says:

You are a trooper! You’ll definitely kill it at the LA Marathon! Go go go!

6. Morgan says:

Oh man! I hope the knee is feeling better! Good job getting that run done girl!

7. Maritza says:

Hooorrraaayyyy! We got it done without any casualties! You are my favorite death-march partner!

What was up with our tripping, sheesh!

8. Spike says:

Ouch…but way to get through a very tough 20M run.

I need a good 20 miler to feel confident. i think ill follow your plan… 13, 16, 20… ;)

10. Keri says:

Woo hoo! Nice run. I am always intimidated by the 20s in my schedule but they are usually more fun than I expect them to be.

11. I’m sure you’ll do really well at the LA Marathon!!! Either way, I’m pretty sure there’s no way you can feel worse about it than you did last year! lol

BTW – hilarious pic you two! :o)

12. Ow, ow, OW! I can’t believe you BOTH fell. Good golly Pete! Glad you are okay and that you survived your 20 miler – Slurpees cure MANY an ailment!

13. molly says:

I did my 20 mile run last Sunday and I totally fell on the 19th mile. I tripped over a crack that was ohh about 1 cm high on a main street. Cars were watching, my knees and hands hurt, and I had to get up, laugh to myself and finish. At least I am not the only one tripping out there! On to LA!

14. Nice job on the 20 miler! You got it done and that’s the most important part! Woohoo!!! PS sorry ’bout the wipe out, I hope it heals quickly :)

15. Jason says:

Great job on the 20! Love the 7-11 shot… we have three in town and I have to say, they’ve saved my butt more than once when I’ve been out of water/energy. What’s your post run slurpee flavor? Diet Coke with cherry for me.

16. ilovesteaks says:

Love the 7-11 photo! Can’t believe you’re running marys on 2 consecutive weekends. I can’t wait to run the Safari half marathon! Hopefully I’ll see Alex, Marty, Melman, and Gloria. :)

17. Astro says:

Apparently Maritza is tripping you when you aren’t paying attention. Glad you got it done. Rock LA girl.

18. Glenn Jones says:

Is it the Hanson plan that maxes out at 16 miles? A ton of 10, 12 and 14 milers though.

Love the last photo!!!

You got a sunburn? I don’t think my body has seen sun for 9 months!!!

That is a wicked cut/bruise!