Use your Blinker!

This weekend started off on a weird foot. Once I got off work at 5 on Friday, I headed home with big plans for visiting CVS to pick up Imodium AD for my long run early the next morning and to get the Garnier Eye Roller pen for those lovely black circles under my eyes that so many of you recommended. I left my house around 8 pm as I had been looking forward to this outing all night long.

As I get in the car and the new Britney song was playing and I was pretty stoked because I’m borderline obsessed with it. I would admit to bobbing my head at this point. As I pull into CVS, approximately .8 miles from my house, a car speeds up and pulls in right behind me. I park, swing my door open to get out of my car and realize that the car that pulled up behind me in the parking lot, yea, it’s a cop, and yes, his lights are on, and yes, he’s pulling me over for a reason that I don’t know.

As he approaches my car, I reach for my license and my heart is pounding. Of course I really don’t want to get a ticket because I just got an email about how all the ticket costs for CA went up in 2011. I hand over my license and the officer immediately asks what I’m buying inside CVS. I am nervous to not respond with the truth, because who knows if the cop is going to follow me in and see what I buy if I end up lying so out pops Imodium, which was the main product of my trip. He asks, “So you’re not buying alcohol.” So the guy thinks I’m drunk. Awesome. I knew I looked bad, but I wouldn’t have guessed I looked that bad. If you would have seen what I’m wearing, I pretty much was rocking the homeless look, it wouldn’t make sense that I would be buying alcohol. If I was going to be making that purchase I would probably be looking much better because I would have some place fun to go, not back home and in bed for a 16 miler at 7:30 am the next morning. He looked at me with a weird look. I didn’t go into the explanation of why I needed Imodium and how I’d take it before bed and then drink a whole cup of water so that I wouldn’t get sick on my run the next morning.

Then he went on to questioning my license for some reason and thinking it was fake, and finally let me know that he pulled me over for not signaling to get into the driveway of CVS. Yup, his lights were on this entire time.Ā  Blocking a car in the parking lot. I was sitting there awkwardly. I knew the minute he said he didn’t need my registration that I was home free though. He reminded me to use my blinker and I was off to buy my Imodium ticket free. Morale of the Story: Cops want you to use your blinker so you’ll be ignored by everyone else in the world when trying to change lanes.

20 Responses to Use your Blinker!

1. Kelly says:

OMG that’s hilarious. Glad you didn’t get a ticket :) I have diarrhea of the mouth all the time.

2. Yeah, the ticket price went up. Not sure how much, but to a point that I always signal, not “gun” the yellows, and rarely speed. I cannot afford to get pulled over now.

3. Abigail says:

I loved this story! Hilarious! Happy you got away without the dreaded ticket!

4. oh man! glad you didn’t get a ticket :)

5. Leigh says:

Haha oh my god, what a story! It would have been funny if you would have told the cop why you needed the imodium…just to watch him squirm!

6. Gina says:

See, I’m usually the person yelling “use you blinker expletive!” So I would agree with the cop.

That being said though, I appreciate polite drivers with blinkers so I’ll gladly let someone into the lane if I can see their intent.

7. Laura says:

Oh Imodium! Happy to hear that you avoided the ticket.

8. Missy says:

Wow! that’s crazy! I would have been freaking out and then would have left with an eye roll when he told me to use my blinker lol

9. Jason says:

That was one bored cop. Next time I’m pulled over, I’m busting out the Imodium AD/Garnier Eye Roller story. Who knows? It just might work…

10. Jessica says:

You should feel good…he probably thought you were underage.

11. Page says:

Hahahaha, I think he was profiling you ;)

12. carmen says:

REalistically, on a friday night, he was probably just using the blinker as an excuse to check for drunk drivers. If he really cared he would have ticketed you. My husband was a cop, and that’s what he would have been doing.

13. Ashley says:

Wow. that’s scary. How funny would it have been if you flat out said you had the runs!! Glad you didn’t get a ticket!

14. How weird that this cop questioned you so much!

On second thought, you do look super shady. Never mind.

15. Nelly says:

Wow, he pulled you over for not signaling going into a CVS? Was there a car immediately behind you? If there’s not a car right behind me I don’t always signal. And why is it his business what you were buying inside CVS? The cop sounded like he was searching for a reason to give you a ticket, and when he ran out of reasons he tried to make up one! Glad he didn’t give you a ticket!

Yikes! Glad you didn’t get a ticket! The cop probably would have given me a ticket anyway…

17. Glenn Jones says:

Incredible. Out looking for drunks at 8PM buying beer at CVS. I think it’s just because he was afraid of cruising past Eddie’s Jr up in North Long Beach

18. I’m jealous that you can buy alcohol at CVS! :-p When I lived in NY you could buy beer at gas stations, convenience stores – and I ran into some sketchy homeless people already smelling of alcohol buying beer there (uh, so was I, but not looking like a homeless person, and not already drunk :)

I was pulled over in college for not using a turn signal. It was about 1am, and I was in an unfamiliar town. Only one at the intersection, red light, I realized I needed to be in the right lane, not the straight lane, so I just scooted over without a blinker. Whoop Whoop, along comes the cop, who clearly suspected me of being drunk (wasn’t). I explained we were driving in from out of town (and I had just hit a skunk half an hour before, and was freaked out by it), and he let me go without a ticket. Phew.

19. Pingback: Use your Blinker! | easyglutenfreedietrecipes.info