So…. I’m Engaged!

So back in October 2009, when I ran the Long Beach International City Bank Marathon, a wise friend told me to run it fast because I had a first date that night. A first date with a guy I had met on my birthday, a few days prior to the race. I remember running the race and being so happy and so excited that the race was going so well and for my date that night. (This screen shot was taking much after we started dating and his nickname was baby b, embarrassing, I know, but the text was from the Day of the Marathon)

I was late getting ready because I couldn’t move since I was pretty sore. We went to a restaurant that I’d never been to before, McKennas, and both ordered the same thing. The salmon. For some reason we both talked a lot about visiting the Aquarium and randomly enough, at the end of our date, since we ordered the fish, we got free tickets to the Aquarium. We visited the following Sunday. We fed the Lorikeets and since then I have been smitten. I can’t even put into words how much fun I have with him and I haven’t talked about him online because I didn’t want to share EVERYTHING online. But now, he is my everything! Perhaps you remember me posting a picture from the LA Marathon last year. One with a fireman at mile 19, right before mile 20. I shall jog your memory with said picture.

This is my FIANCE (he also said he is not french and will not use that word and I’m not really into it either) and at this picture we had been dating for about 5 months! What! I can’t believe it. He proposed Wednesday night. He got the ring that day, at 3 pm and told me he didn’t want to be in charge of it so he had to get rid of it asap, and he wanted to do it before dinner so he could eat. Such a him thing to do. That’s my biggest concern. Feeding him FOREVER. He is always hungry! BUT he is also a GREAT cook! :)

He came over to pick me up for dinner, just a normal day after tutoring and told me we were going to El Torito. I wasn’t into getting all dressed up for El Torito and was a bit pouty. He says we can go wherever and I get ready and we stop by his house to drop off my passport for our trip in August with his family to Europe.  WHY THIS HAD TO HAPPEN BEFORE DINNER WAS MAKING ME ANGRY. I get out of the car and he takes FOREVER to get to the front door and I’m standing there about ready to ask him what is taking so long during this 20 foot walk to the front door and then he taps my shoulder and says, “This is for real,” and gets down on one knee and says, “I’m not good with words but, Danica, will you marry me?” I, of course was normally my awkward self and replied, “Are you kidding me?” Then I don’t really remember anything after that, but I just held the ring up and looked at it. Then he says, “Yes or no!” Of course, I said “Yes!” and started crying. I seriously can’t believe it. I am the luckiest girl ever and can’t wait to marry him! He truly brings out the best in me, makes me laugh constantly and this past year and couple of months has truly been the greatest time of my life!

He is a firefighter and he has been running with me recently! He works out a lot and has gotten me into the gym and he’s the one who got me into swimming. It’s awesome to have someone to run with every now and then but he is not into running a race just yet. He doesn’t like the whole concept of paying to run some where. :) He is a great guy though and I am so, so happy! I seriously am in so much shock. This wasn’t suppose to happen until next year!

So here are a few pictures of us from the past of us that you probably have never seen :)

We’ve gone to the zoo.

I went with his family to Canada!

In Canada at Bushard Gardens.

We both LOVE the Angels!!!!! (and he doesn’t like the Lakers, hoooooray!!!!!)

We’ve gone to a super chilly high school football game. How we ended up there is still a mystery to me.

We went to Portland with one of his friends and their family.

Which was where he came to his first race to watch me run. How loving!! Besides LA, but he was working so it wasn’t like he was a spectator, he disagrees with this ;)

This is on our way to a Kings Game with friends.

And this was on 2-2-11! Holy Moly!

I am still in shock and so excited. I am also so excited to be able to finally introduce him to my bl0g! We have no idea when/where/how we’ll get married, but it will be in 2012.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(and I’m not going to post a picture of the ring, but if you want to see it, email me ([email protected]) and i’ll send it to you. :))

177 Responses to So…. I’m Engaged!

1. Demi (Rio) says:

Awww! Congratulations, Danica! Very happy for the both of you!

2. Christine says:

DANICA!!!!!!!! This is awesome. So happy for you! I read your blog all the time, and gave you a few shoutouts on mine recently :)
    congrats again!
    xoxox

3. So amazing! Congratulations!

4. Sarah G says:

I usually just lurk but congratulations! This is awesome!

5. Shannon says:

CONGRATULATIONS girl! From that last picture I can see how gorgeous your ring is! Best wishes for a wonderful life together:)

6. Em says:

Congrats! I was just checking to see if you had any race reports or reviews, but this is so much more exciting!

7. cindylu says:

congratulations! you’re quite the slick blogger featuring him as just a random handsome firefighter on the marathon course. you two make a lovely couple.

8. libby james says:

i just found your blog (obsessed)…congrats! you two are adorable :]

9. B.o.B. says:

Congrats lady! Morgan told me and I had to run over here to read the entire story myself. SO happy for you! Couldn’t happen to a sweeter gal. You deserve the best and I think you’ve found him. :)

10. Delurking to say congratulations!! Being married is the best : )

11. congratulations!! so exciting!

12. Megan says:

Congratulations on your engagement! So exciting! ENJOY this time – it will fly by!

Also, I love your blog – so inspirational! Especially as I begin my journey to become a runner :)

13. Bonnie says:

already said this via email…but big congrats!!! He is gorgeous and seems like an amazing guy!

14. Kristen says:

I am a litle late but so happy I got to read the story – so sweet!! I am so happy for you guys – you look adorable together and have so much in common. I loved that you said “are you kidding” – I asked my husband “are you sure?” :)

A very big CONGRATULATIONS
    and here’s to the start of a wonderful life together!

15. Congratulations!! I have been reading your blog for the last year and I had no idea about your love life!! So excited that you shared with all of us online!

16. Leanne says:

Congrats!

17. Kim says:

You two are a beautiful couple! Wishing you THE best for a wonderful life together!

18. Sam says:

You have a great smile in all the pics with him. :)

19. I’ve been MIA a while and then to check in and see this! Congratulations! Hope you had/bet you had an awesome Valentine’s Day!

20. RunningBlonde says:

Okay. This .guy.is.HOT. Wow! You are the luckiest girl in California! I am so happy for both of you.

21. Pingback: So?. I?m Engaged! | easyglutenfreedietrecipes.info

22. Lupe says:

Danica! I am overjoyed to hear about your engagement!! You’ve let so many people into your life through your blog, I feel like one of your girlfriends. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am for you, you sweet girl! You deserve all the happiness in the world!
    May you always be best friends and love will just follow. Marriage is not always a walk in the park but it is SO worth it!!!! Many blessings to you and your future husband! xoxoxox!!!

23. Holy crap! Our move to Manila made me be really far behind on the blogs, but CONGRATS! He’s a cutie, and you guys look adorable together!

May I suggest weddingbee.com for all things wedding related (I was obsessed with it when I was engaged!). I just got married 3 months ago, and in case you’re on the “I want to see everyone else’s wedding phase” (I’m still waiting for it to end…), I posted my links here: http://irunyourun.wordpress.com/wedding/

24. Michelle says:

So this is a very late comment but I just found your blog – congrats on the engagement! I had to comment because I had a similar reaction when my husband proposed and I thought perhaps I was the only awkward one…We also met each other on my birthday, which I think is a neat little fact. But when he proposed we were at the CN Tower in Toronto and he had been super awkward and when he was down on one knee he forgot to ask me – he just stared – then finally blurted out will you marry me? And the first words out of my mouth were “Are you kidding?” haha so it makes me glad to hear you said the same. Hope the wedding planning is coming along – it took up my life for an entire year so I’m somewhat happy to have it done:)

25. Dean says:

Ijust came across your blog and am catching up on your background.

I thought I’d comment on this one since you mentioned the Aquarium in Long Beach. I worked there for 2.5 years in college.

Congrats on your upcoming big day!

26. Pingback: Adios 2011 | Chic Runner