Remember the Alamo!

Saturday, we found a venue for the wedding. Exciting. More on that in another post. :)

On Sunday, I went with most of my co-workers to San Antonio Texas for the Running USA Conference. It was a great experience but A LOT of traveling. Our plane was delayed heading into San Antonio during our layover in Dallas and on the way back we were even more delayed going from San Antonio back to Dallas, but we are back in one pieceĀ  and ready to get back to work. It was pretty fun because every morning there were little 5K group runs. Though they were at 6:30 am, since it was a running industry conference, and medal companies were there, the runs were sponsored by them and the medals were AWESOME! It was fun to run along the river walk every morning too.

This was our view in the morning, a little dark and on the 2nd day it was raining, so it was a little slippery but it was still cool to see so many people out and running together and enjoying the crisp air.

Here’s everyone heading down to the riverwalk. It was so nice and at the half way point there was even a little water station!

Here’s the medals from the first morning run, they were hearts since it was Valentines Day! They are so heavy and I know it will look awesome in my medal collection :) There were contests throughout the day and if you wore your medal you had a chance to win a gift card, and I won! I was so excited :)

Can you tell how excited I am! Even at the Conference, there was a line for the medals! See, lines are common! :)

The 2nd morning, we got the biggest medal I have ever gotten. I wish all 5K medals looked like this!

That night we went out to dinner and I got to meet up with KELLY and I was so excited! It was great to meet her and I was so glad that she made the drive from Austin.

And here are the girls who get me through every day at work! Love them so much :)

There were a lot of classes that we went to and discussions and it was cool to meet a lot of other race directors and people who are involved in the industry. It’s a lot different being on ‘this side of the fence’ than just running a race, but it’s really interesting.

We also had a little big of downtime and we explorered a bit

Yes, my shirt says Running Sucks. Got it after a long run at the Nike Store in Santa Monica a while back. Wearing at a Running Conference was interesting.

The river walk was really nice! There were so many cool little restaurants along there and we had a great Mexican dinner one night there.

Then, we walked to the Alamo! It was pretty cool to walk around and see it, but we didn’t pay the $6 to go inside. :/

There was a little area where there were states all out on a patio and we took a picture of all of us in the Texas state. Overall there was a lot of great conversation about operational aspect of races and it was very interesting. ThereĀ  is so much that goes into races and I’m always excited to learn more and we all work very hard to keep making our event better. I’m thankful that we got the opportunity to go and meet many other race directors! I think it was great for our team too and we had a lot of laughs together, which is pretty much typical. Remember the Alamo! :)

22 Responses to Remember the Alamo!

1. Kelly says:

Yay! I’m so glad it worked out! Real life friends!

2. alex says:

hmmm makes a career change look pretty good… would have to move somewhere with more races… therefore warmer weather.

any job openings? ;-)

can’t wait for venue deets..

3. SWEET medals! Sounds like a good time. Isn’t San Antonio super cute? I went there in November for the Rock n Roll race and enjoyed it a lot — went to most of the places you did. =)

4. Morgan says:

Wait did I miss the post where you picked the date?!?!?

Looks like you had a fun time in Dallas! Love those medals!!!

5. Average A says:

Hahah, your shirt DOES say running sucks! So funny. :)

6. Erin says:

So jealous you got to run on the River Walk! When I was there last month we were staying too far away from downtown to run on the River Walk. Sad.

7. Lisa says:

Hi I just wanted to tell you I just came across your blog and I’ve been reading it nonstop for 3 days! I can totally relate to you, I lost my mom to breast cancer when I was 21 (6 years ago), for the two years following I felt guilty if I was happy. I felt like i was supposed to be sad all the time, like to honor her. Now I realize how proud of me she would be if she were still here. I’m running my first 1/2 marathon (the ga marathon) 3/20. Ive only been running 6 mos and I was never really a runner Previously but im so happy and thankful to have discovered it. I’ve got a 3 yr old and an 8 month old, running keeps me sane. Anyways I just wanted to say I think your amazing and I aspire to be like you (fast like you)!

8. Kristen says:

Wow you’re job has some great perks!! I bet all those late nights and stressful situations are worth it when you get to do cool things like this! Those HUGE medals are awesome! :)

9. I’m so excited for you and your venue!!!!!!!! I guess having worked with a wedding planner is coming in handy now! :o)

10. Spike says:

I love SA, it is one of my favorite cities, and (for good or not) I’ve been to almost every major US/CAN city (old intern job).

But those medals are friggen awesome.

11. Kim says:

Looks like it was a fun trip! Traveling for work and fun is always exhausting. SOO exciting that you found a venue for your wedding!! :)

12. jes says:

crazy story. i saw your tweet about being at the alamo, and my friend/next door neighbor here in savannah, georgia, is from san antonio and at the alamo on the same day! weird. he said he hung out with RNR race director one night.
    LOVE that you wore that shirt, haha.
    i SO want your job! vocational-envy!!!

Sounds like a great trip!! Love all the medals!!
    I love your Running Sucks shirt!
    Can’t wait to hear more about the wedding details!!

14. RoadBunner says:

I saw the photo and was thining, “Does her shirt say ‘Running Sucks??’” Then I scrolled down and you said, “Yes, my shirt says Running Sucks.” Ha ha.

That 5K medal is slick. Did you see my Texas Marathon medal? There is definitely something in the water down in Texas as far as medals go…

15. Page says:

A) I NEED to hear about the venue. ASAP! Text me :)

B) Those medals = pure awesomeness

C) Those cropped jeans = super cute. Where are those from?

D) FYI..I’m going to register for Long Beach soon. Wahoo!

16. Kate Z says:

The “Running Sucks” shirt is fantastic, the script made me do a double take – and that medal is HUUUUUUGE!

Looks like a fun time was had by all!

17. Ally says:

Glad y’all had fun–I LOVE San Antonio, The Riverwalk is one of my favorite places.

And I’m sorry, but, I can’t focus on your medal because I’m blinded by that ring! Congratulations again chica. And yay on finding a venue, that’s awesome!

18. Tara says:

1-love the shirt!
    2-love those medals!
    3-love you friend!

19. Pingback: Remember the Alamo! | easyglutenfreedietrecipes.info

20. Those are some big 5k medals! I’m glad you enjoyed TX!!

21. Lacey says:

I love the medals from the second morning, those are awesome! I want to go to a running conference, that looks like so much fun! I really really want to visit Texas, I have never been.

22. Love those medals!!! How much was the coference? This looks like a fantastic experience!