Good runs and poopy ones

So everything was going dandy, I was getting in some awesome runs and then I got a little sick but am feeling much better now. You know what comes with great runs? Pretty bad ones! Last night I took off for my 7 miler and could only get in 4.5 because my shins were hurting SO bad. Bummer, but alas, I headed to the gym last night and this morning and am feeling better. I iced twice and am going to work on stretching them all day today at work today and tomorrow to make sure I can get in my 6 miler tomorrow morning and then my long run this weekend. Talk about setbacks! I know that bad runs come with good ones though, so I’m sure it’s just a little rut and I’ll be out of it soon with a little bit of stretching!

Even though I’m not totally sold on waking up at 5:30 in the morning to be the first in line when the gym doors open, waking up to this is making life a lot easier.

And for the month of January, I’ve already run 59.7 miles, which is the most I’ve run in any month since October! So with the good stuff sometimes comes bad stuff, but I’m liking how training is going thus far and am glad that I am going the route I have worked out!

15 Responses to Good runs and poopy ones

1. That is SOOOOO many miles!!!! Congrats girl!!!!

2. Emily says:

Careful, last time I had shin splints, I kept running on them and ended up with a tibial stress fracture. Ouch!

3. Hey Danica, I know you’re a big fan of the Zensah sports bras but have you tried the shin sleeves? They’ve been a huge help to me. I’m feeling great even though I’m increasing my miles for half marathon training and consequently increasing my speed as a result of putting in more miles, which is usually a double whammy guarantee for shin trouble for me. I really, really recommend them :)

4. Nicki says:

Okay, I know I’m a total nerd for admitting this, but I jumped for joy when I saw you comment on my blog! Haha! Yes, we are VERY excited about coming to CA this weekend! Our friends lived out in L.A. for years, and they’re going to show us crazy tourists all the “hot” spots. :)

Sorry to hear about your shins — hopefully the ice will do the trick! We’re getting some snow/ice here today so I’m off to run at the gym. Thanks again for your comment!

5. Jason says:

Agreed — Those sunrises have been amazing this week!

6. Sun rising earlier… isn’t this great?! Now if only it’d be 55 instead of 45 in the morning, it’d be great.

I’m sure better runs are coming your way!

7. Linzay says:

Waking up to get to the gym by 5:30?! Good for you! There’s no way I could get my butt anywhere that early.

8. Melissa says:

Here’s hoping for healthy shins! And great job on your miles!

9. jes says:

hope your shins feel better! those bad runs help us appreciate the good ones even more!
    i have just a few memories of living in socal as a kid, the sunrises and sunsets are among them :)

10. Jaime says:

Sorry to hear about your shins! I went to school for sports medicine, and I have to share my Dixie cup trick with you for your shins… Take a bunch of small dixie cups, fill them with water, and throw them in your freezer. After your runs, take a dixie cup and ice down your shin. Use the ice cup to massage your shin, and as the ice melts, keep peeling back the cup. Keep going until the ice is completely gone. It’s kind of painful, but ice massage is one of the best things you can do for shin splints. Use a whole cup on each shin. Hope it helps!!

11. Katie says:

I feel you, girlfriend. I cut last Sunday’s 9 miler down to 7 because I felt so … heavy and was dragging myself along. I’m running the ING half on Sunday and I’m a little nervous. Let’s hope that it’s a GOOD run on Sunday!

Good luck – keep it up.

xo

K

12. Missy says:

Wow 59 miles for the month already! That’s fantastic! You are seriously putting me to shame, I have only run twice since the New Year but I have also been doing a lot of strength/cardio/abs training. Trying to get my body stronger!

13. the dawn says:

its so true! good runs come and go, but the important part is getting out there to run. good work racking up all those miles so far in january!

14. Page says:

Oh no, D! I’m sorry to hear about your shins, but you’re right. Bad comes with the good…tomorrow will be a new day!

15. Stacie says:

Take care of those shins, girl! Hope they feel better soon!