16 miler and race signups gone wild!

So Friday night at work I bit the bullet and signed up for the two races that were on my radar. I was a little nervous doing so since I haven’t had a good long run yet, but I was hopeful that this weekend’s run would go well. So without further ado, I’m all signed up for the LA Marathon on March 20th and the Oakland Marathon on March 27th! I can’t believe it! I am so excited and nervous and scared! So Friday night was low-key early night to bed for my 16 miler on Saturday with Maritza in LA.

When I left my house in the morning, it was SO foggy and I really was hoping for some sun. Thankfully, once I hit Carson, it was sunny and gorgeous. Beautiful weather for a run. We started off in Santa Monica at our normal spot where we park sort of by the finish line of the LA Marathon, and then headed out to UCLA!

That’s right! I even wore my Long Beach shirt. I have never had a bad run in this shirt and I felt like I needed it for my long run to get me through it mentally! It was a GREAT run. Best part of the run? Running down San Vicente and Maritza pointing out…. The guy married to Fergie! Helllllllo Josh Duhmal!

I left the picture huge so you can just drool over his hotness and yes, I was pretending I was texting to take that stalker picture! So back to running, I couldn’t believe how awesome I was feeling and we ran a lot of hills to prepare us for LA as well. I was shocked how awesome I was feeling and when the last two miles came, I was completely pooped and it was a struggle for those last two miles. I also realize this is the longest run I’ve done in a long time and I was glad it was great up until the last two miles because it gave me the confidence in the miles I had put it and the last two miles should be hard when I haven’t run that far in a while. Stoked to feel so awesome especially after signing up for two big races not to far away and having the Surf City Half next weekend!

Then we went to this great place in Santa Monica called Jinky’s and had an awesome time stuffing our faces! We were both famished and this place had such great selection. I got the red white and blue waffle, and was SO hungry, I dug in before taking a picture of the glorious waffle I was dreaming about all morning. It was HUGE!

15 minutes later…

Demolished! It was amazing, and both Maritza and I decided that we need to learn the Oliver food song to sing on our runs to each other. Once I finally got home I knew it was time to ice my ankles for sure. Since I NEVER run hills around here, since there aren’t many, they were a little beat up the last part of my run. I don’t know WHY my feet are so dirty though? I know my shoes let in a lot of dirt but I didn’t realize it was this bad!

It was a great day for a run on Saturday and Sunday I finished it off with a great  gym session for some strength training. It was one of those days when I REALLY didn’t want to go to the gym but I was really glad once I was there and worked out harder than I thought I would. I felt awesome and went home and planned my lunches for the week and really want to work hard this month at incorporating more fruits and produce into my diet and eating at home.  This week is a big hill week for me so I was really glad to kick it off with with a pretty hilly run with M on Saturday. Big training weeks coming up!

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

21 Comments

• Reply Morgan

Great job getting miles in and majorly drooling over the Jush pic!!! mmmmmmmmm….

So exciting about the two races, you maniac you!

January 31, 2011 at 10:58 am
  • Reply Tina

I love the stalker pic!! He is so insanely hot!

January 31, 2011 at 11:48 am
  • Reply Marathon Maritza

YAY for a fabulous run! Thanks so much for being my running buddy!! And for your awesome stalker, picture-taking skills! I love me a good celebrity sighting.

P.S. My feet were filthy too, I’m guessing all the dirt path running did it.

P.P. S. JINKY’SSSSSSSS ♥

January 31, 2011 at 11:52 am
  • Reply Brandi

Love the Josh picture. Wow! He is so yummy!

Great job on the run!!

January 31, 2011 at 2:56 pm
  • Reply RoadBunner

Great job on your run! I laughed when you said you wanted sun for a long run because I am totally opposite.

I must have horrible celeb sighting skills because I never in a million years would have realized that was someone famous.

Can’t wait to see you at Oakland!

January 31, 2011 at 3:06 pm
  • Reply Julie

Loved reading this post and the great pic of the waffle…the one of Josh was nice too! LOL! Congrats on the mileage! You’re awesome!

January 31, 2011 at 3:15 pm
  • Reply Sesa

I ran the Oakland half last year and the crowd support was incredible. There were loud, cheering spectators on every block! The expo was disappointing, but it was the first year, and I’m sure there will be more vendors this time around.

January 31, 2011 at 4:20 pm
  • Reply cindylu

I ran down San Vicente on a 16-miler last week but didn’t catch any celebrities. I think it was too early.

Way to get in some hill work. The area around UCLA is mad hilly. I’ve been here many years and run the perimeter once ’cause I’m a wuss.

January 31, 2011 at 5:38 pm
  • Reply Shelly

Looking at that picture….I know what got you thru those last 2 miles…
    Cant believe you can run and simultaneously photograph celebrities!! Rock ON!

January 31, 2011 at 7:01 pm
  • Reply Jaime

You are amazing! Two marathons in 2 weekends!! That’s ballzzz!!

Glad your long run went well. Hope the shins are holding up!!

Love the celeb sighting. Wish we had more of those here in Phoenix.

January 31, 2011 at 7:53 pm
  • Reply Nicole

yay maniac again! woooot!

January 31, 2011 at 7:54 pm
  • Reply Sarah

so you didn’t go to lunch at the place where Josh Duhamel was eating?? Haha. I probably would have!

Great job on your run!

January 31, 2011 at 8:01 pm
  • Reply Runeatrepeat

I am so not slick at stalker pics! Love it :)

January 31, 2011 at 8:04 pm
  • Reply Toronto Girl West

It arrived today!!!! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!!!

I’ll confess, I was so excited that I may have hugged and kissed the package! :o)

January 31, 2011 at 10:57 pm
  • Reply Gina

Are you working Surf City expo or did manage to grab a bib after all?

I think I remember you were sad it sold out. Perhaps being part of the running industry helped you out?

February 1, 2011 at 7:34 am
  • Reply Tara

jealous of your run, josh, and the waffle! glad you had a great run and I can’t wait to see you this weekend! ♥ maniac #2033

February 1, 2011 at 9:44 am
  • Reply Steve

2 marathons a week apart? Is that..like…healthy?!?

February 1, 2011 at 10:14 am
  • Reply Nicki

I think your blog will take on a whole new meaning for me now that I’ve been to so many of the places that you run! :) We had such a blast in LA this weekend! What an awesome picture of Josh Duhamel. I think it’s much better than the pic we managed to snag of Colin Farrell. :)

February 1, 2011 at 12:53 pm
  • Reply skinnyrunner

i hope you can sense my complete jealousy that you saw Josh D. he’s #1 on my “Well if I HAD to cheat on my husband with someone..” list.

February 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm
  • Reply Rebekah

Yay for the Oakland Marathon! A ton of my friends are running it. It’s a tough course, for sure. I’m doing the half–it’s nice and flat. ;)

February 3, 2011 at 11:12 am