Confessional Time

So I have a confession. I’m a little bit of a work-a-holic lately. Like working 2 hundred hour weeks around Long Beach and working 60 hours a week since then. This leaves for little time for anything else. This includes working out, eating healthy, sleeping, and making myself a priority to get anything done that I wanted too. Everything slipped a little bit out of control during the past few weeks when I was going 100 mph for work. Now before I go on lets discuss a few things.

I LOVE MY JOB. So much. I think that’s why I the only time I complain about working so much is when I’m incredibly tired. When my job starts taking away precious sleep time I get a little cranky. We are like a messed up dysfunctional family that all loves to hate each other. It’s hilarious and great.

Thought I love my job, it does make me slip into a barely hanging on survival situation. I don’t work out. I eat really bad. I don’t make myself a priority. My room becomes a disaster and I sleep on the side of my bed that doesn’t have a  heap of clothes and work stuff on it. Last night I kind of had a smack me over the side of the head moment while I was at the gym. I know I discussed this a few days ago with my new plan that I’m following with adding in gym sessions, but I really need to adheare to the plan. With last week starting off great, I still was eating pretty badly.

So last night I kept thinking as I was lifting weights and working out that I need to make myself a priority and do things that I need to get done. Thank-you cards for my birthday were still sitting unwritten on my desk. My room needed to be cleaned and the kitchen floor needed to be mopped. Grocery shopping needs to be a planned event. I wasn’t taking good care of myself and it was a good realization to have. I’m happy to say that the thank-yous have been written, my room is clean and the floor was mopped. I also got up early and hit up the gym again this morning and am looking forward to my run tomorrow. It’s a refreshing feeling.

Back on track with workouts. Feeling good about eating healthy. Putting yourself first and taking care of yourself is so important. I fell by the wayside for a little bit, but I’m back on track. Sometimes a self little evaluation makes a big difference.

So I’m back on the healthy living lifestyle and I’m going to make sure to take care of myself first. It sounds selfish when you say it like that, but if you don’t take care of yourself first who will?

18 Responses to Confessional Time

1. Page says:

I totally know that feeling when you look around and go, “What the heck am I doing. Get yourself together!” You’ve done a great job at work and unfortunately, that’s just what happens when you are working your butt off. Good luck on the new healthy plan!

2. Steve says:

Totally true. As good as our jobs, or other life aspects may be, there is nothing like getting out for an hour or two to put the hammer down. I cycle 3 or 4 days a week, always on saturday morning for 3 or 4 hours. Have a wife and 2 small kids at home. Tour de Tucson is in 2 weeks. I know I’ve had to be a little selfish with my time, but as soon as Tucson is over, it’s her turn to train for PF Changs half marathon in January. I guess…welcome to real life right?!?

3. Cheers to that! Sometimes it really is hard to remember that when things get crazy, it’s still important to keep some sanity and time for ourselves. Hang in there!

4. Zach says:

“if you don’t take care of yourself first who will” … Also, if you don’t take care of yourself first, you’ll never be able to take care of others. It’s like putting on your own oxygen mask on the airplane first before assisting anyone else with theirs… you have to make sure you don’t die while trying to help someone else or you both die. (okay, a little dramatic, but you get the point…)

I’m hopping on the healthy train too! :)

6. Christina says:

I totally get where you are coming from. I do the same thing! Some things that I’ve done to make sure I take care of me is 1) force myself out of bed every morning for a workout…this way I have the rest of the day to work and not have worry about working in a workout 2) keep a water bottle filled at my desk to stay hydrated 3) have a fruit and vegetable delivered to my house every other week so i try and eat healthy.

7. Ally says:

Totally understand what you mean! The last few months have really worn me down at work, and while I love my job, I need to focus on me too. And let me tell you–when it cuts into my sleeping time? Not good. Example: today, online at 4:55 AM to monitor a registration start via Active.com. I’m exhausted!

8. Nelly says:

I think Zach said it best above with the oxygen mask comparison. We all have times where we are just trying to survive at work, and everything else takes a back seat (including our own health and well-being). Though even during those times, I try to run at least 2-3 times a week, to try to reduce the stress level. Since working a ton can increase your stress level by a lot. I also like yoga, I think that is the best stress reliever on the planet.

9. Work-life balance is SO IMPORTANT :) I remember being told once that you should find fulfillment from your job, but ALL your fulfillment shouldn’t come from your job. I really take that to heart and try to leave work at work as much as possible!

10. keep up the posistive thinking and continue to take care of yourlself!!!

11. Kristen says:

t’s crazy how life can get in the way of something that you love so much!

12. When it comes to health (both mental and physical) I think you always have to put yourself first. When I’m feeling burned out and fall into unhealthy habits, I end up being useless to everyone.
    Keep it up! (and come back and read this post if you find yourself slipping back into forgetting to put yourself first)

13. Aj says:

This is so true. I’m working 2 jobs and have a hellish commute. I try to take time during the weekends and once per week to totally disconnect, even from social media and cook and spend real life time with others. I hear ya girl, hang in there!

14. Glenn Jones says:

Been there done that in the past. My first job out of grad school had me working 80 to 90 hour weeks. I went 5 months without a day off, and spent part of the time commuting from here to Chicago. My advice? Take care of yourself physically. Make sure all these hours fit into your long term plan. Everything works out in the long run if you stay focused onyour long term life goals.

15. Take care of you friend!

16. Stuart says:

yep there is no such thing as work life balance…there is just balance!

Nice job in adjusting the scales!

17. Tara says:

I am working on this whole balance thing right now too! I know my work isn’t as crazy as yours, but I’ve been stressed lately with so many things and I used to be stress free, so I am trying to get back to that! Take of yourself! ♥♥♥

18. Amy says:

Living in Laguna you must have all kinds of fabulous places to run, including the beach! So jealous!
    Keep up the good work girl!