What’s in my Gear Check Bag?

So I always think the what’s in your purse posts are fun. So does Page, but that has nothing to do with anything besides the fact that I realize that I do also take the most random crap in my gear check bag and maybe perhaps someone thought it would be interesting! I’m totally one of those people who takes a ton of crap in my gear bag to the point where I think it’s going to explode. I’m also all about the lovely ‘backpack’ type bags that races have been giving out lately. LOVE them. Most of the stuff I throw in my gear check is for AFTER the race. :) Enjoy!

Deodorant, since after running however far I’m running, I’m probably a little stinky. Therefore deodorant makes me feel better and fresher and I’m sure all the people I’m hanging out with after the race appreciate it.

Everyone loves a little body splash. Just like the deodorant it masks the smell just in case I’m doing anything after the race or hanging out with friends for lunch or something. I just don’t want to rot while I’m eating.

Rainbows are my life! I love these flip flops and they go everywhere with me. I pretty much almost wear them everyday to work as well. They are the perfect post race footwear, if I decide to take my shoes and socks off.

Just in case it’s shark week. You never know when your going to need it. Just take into account my first full marathon. Blah.

Baby powder for the hair. Sometimes I put this in my hair to absorb the grease and sweat. Gross, yes, but it makes it look a lot better!

So I don’t put my WHOLE wallet in my gear check bag, but I do put some money and my drivers license if I’m not carrying it on me in my Fitletic belt during the race.

I love this chapstick. Basically am obsessed with it. It travels everywhere with me and I think it’s the perfect way to start feeling better after a race since usually my lips are a little chapped at the end of the race.

Sunglasses are clutch! I am caught wearing mine ALL the time and can’t be without them for long. I make sure that I don’t put in a good pair, but instead a pair from Forever 21 or something, just in case something happens. Who am I kidding, almost all my sunglasses are from Forever 21. I can’t resist 5 dollar sunglasses.

I have a gum addiction, so therefore I must have some gum. Also, sometimes before a race I’ll pop in a piece to chew as well.

I pack a new little outfit for after the race. Usually my comfy shorts and a gym t-shirt.

I pack a sweatshirt or jacket of some type. Luckily I had my work sweatshirt which I love wearing since it has a hood and is a little larger. And since it’s fairly new, it’s so soft inside still!

I pack another pair of socks just in case I want to keep my shoes on and I can still change my socks.

Lastly, I pack some hairspray, because there is one rule while running. You can never have enough hairspray!

Do you pack a ton of random crap in your gear check bag?

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

24 Comments

• Reply Heather @ Alis Grave Nil

“Shark week”-BWAHAHAHAHAA. OMG, is that a thing? Great post, but shark week made my day. I’m dying.

August 5, 2010 at 9:52 am
  • Reply Heather

I usually don’t even check a bag! I am lazy.

August 5, 2010 at 10:13 am
  • Reply Rebekah

Wow! I’ve always wondered what people put in their gear check bags! I’ve never checked one. I just carry my ID, debit card, phone and car key (unless hubby isn’t running, in which case I leave key-minding to him) in my iFitness belt, and leave anything else in the car. (Substitute “hotel” for “car” if I didn’t drive.)

August 5, 2010 at 10:40 am
  • Reply aron

good lord woman! lol IF i check a bag, i do not put all that stuff in. usually a new shirt for after and probably a bar of some sort incase i am hungry, thats pretty much it :)

August 5, 2010 at 10:55 am
  • Reply Jocelyn

Love it! I like all of your thinking. I was just thinking about what I need to put in my bag since I will be taking public transportation from the 1/2 I am running in 2 weeks. I don’t want to smell like a homeless person!

August 5, 2010 at 11:10 am
  • Reply Page

LOVES IT! But I especially love the shark week, tampon one! Bahahahah, I’m dieing!

Great post, D!

August 5, 2010 at 11:16 am
  • Reply Julianne

I never check anything! I figure if I really need it, it will be in the car when I get there! I’m lazy too!

August 5, 2010 at 11:34 am
  • Reply Betsy

I am totally stealing the phrase Shark Week.

August 5, 2010 at 11:49 am
  • Reply Marlene

You’re cracking me up with the hairspray!! And baby powder? Can’t say I have ever tried it! But what happens to the powder? Does it just get absorbed? You son’t end up with white everywhere?? LOL!

August 5, 2010 at 1:10 pm
  • Reply Carla @ I Run, You Run

Usually my havaianas flipflops, and that’s about it… I never change after a race because I hate putting clean clothes on top of my disgusting sweaty body.

But you have a good idea on bringing that deodorant with you… Gotta steal that!

(And I don’t even own hairspray — never even used it!)

August 5, 2010 at 2:09 pm
  • Reply Ally

I don’t usually check a bag, I make the husband keep my after race bag–but, that’s esentially a gear check bag. It usually has flip flops, zip up hoodie (because I am usually too delisional to consider putting anything over my head), dry shampoo/baby powder (yes!), chap stick and water/Powerade and some sort of snacky food. I can never eat right after a race, but, I need somethin’!

August 5, 2010 at 2:42 pm
  • Reply Aj

OMG you pack so much! My partner & I just pack 1 little bag! I hear you about the sweatshirt…I’ve gotten COLD after races! You don’t pack any food? We always throw a Luna bar or two in there.

August 5, 2010 at 2:46 pm
  • Reply christina cadden

I love these posts!

August 5, 2010 at 5:28 pm
  • Reply Nicole

just pray to the gear check bag gods that they dont lose your effing bag then your f*$%$T^!!!!!!!

August 5, 2010 at 7:51 pm
  • Reply Sarah

shark week! you crack me up! Confession: I have never used a bag check. Twice I’ve made my dad carry a bag with flipflops and gatorade after a half marathon, but normally I just carry money and my phone in my iFitness belt and leave the rest in the car. Now, I am running my first marathon in October and I will probably do a bag check then – so thank you for the ideas!

August 6, 2010 at 4:57 am
  • Reply Shannon

Wow, I’ve never checked a bag, but that’s usually because the races I go to are around town and I just go home afterwards!

But, I do have a question on two things…

First, the baby powder – how do you do that? Just a tad in the hands or what?

Second, hairspray… Is that so you don’t have a ton of flyaways afterwards or what? I always wonder why everyone else’s hair looks great while I look live I MEANT to sport an afro…

August 6, 2010 at 9:29 am
  • Reply Glenn Jones

I always cary money in my fuel belt. Face it – I never know when I may need to call a cab!

August 6, 2010 at 8:49 pm
  • Reply Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner

Well this is certainly well thought out. I would never think to pack body spray or really any of that good stuff hehe.

August 7, 2010 at 5:28 am
  • Reply Lisa

You have some good ideas. I never thought about body spray. I usually pack flip flops, a sweatshirt (I always get chilled after a race) and a Luna bar. Oh… and last time I put in an instant ice pack and ace bandage that I thankfully didn’t need. But it might come in handy someday.

August 9, 2010 at 9:50 am
  • Reply Christel

Hi! Just found your blog; love it! :) Just started blogging about my first marathon (which was a week and a half ago), and find it a great way to keep me motivated!

Fun post on what to check in your gearbag. Next marathon (hope NYC Marathon this year) I’m def checking an instant ice pack for my hips!

August 10, 2010 at 1:38 am
  • Reply ilovesteaks

You forgot the kitchen sink. Man, you pack a lot of stuff! I like the Concordia shirt. :)

August 10, 2010 at 9:14 am
  • Reply Madison

Wow girl, no wonder you always look so put together. I normally just check in my warm-up sweatshirt. That’s why I always sport the “awful” look after my races.

August 11, 2010 at 12:01 pm
  • Reply Michaela

Great post! Sometimes I feel pretty lost when I’m packing my gear bag — I feel like I put really random stuff in there. My SF Half bag had chocolate soy milk, Salonpas strips and a T-shirt with sushi on it! Hahahaha!

August 11, 2010 at 12:02 pm
  • Reply Flip Flops and Running Shoes

I didn’t find this post over the top at all– until reading some of the comments! I think I’m a high maintenance runner in denial! ;) Recently found your blog and am enjoying it. Happy running!

October 13, 2010 at 9:10 am