Running, working and crawfish.

So this weekend started off with setting up three events on Friday for work.

We set up flags for about 4 hours and then we went into the office for a while and then back out to take down one event that was finishing up. But not before I flew a kite at the event!

I haven’t flown a kite in forever. I tried to earlier in the morning. And Failed. Really badly. Who knew it was so hard to fly a kite!?

Friday after work it was pretty crazy because there ended up to be a baby opossum in our backyard! WHAT THE HECK! So we are not so good with “wild” animals, and we had no idea what to do with it.

Then it crawled up in our lazy boy that we have in the garage. So we fenced it in. Little did we know that it would soon walk right through that fence! He wouldn’t come out of the chair, and so we let the dogs at him and he came right out and played dead. We thought he was dead for about 2 seconds and then saw him breathing so we just fenced him in and got him in a box and released him to the wild at the park the next day.

Ha, ha it’s all wet around him because we sprayed the dogs to let him go. We didn’t need opossum guts all over our backyard, and we didn’t want to kill him. We called animal control at 6 pm when we found him, but they didn’t show up until the next day until 11 am. Awesome guys. So he was released at the park and seemed to be happy when we released him!

I did a fast 5 miler on Saturday and ran a ‘naked’ (aka garminless) 8 miler on Sunday. I also went to the gym both days and am really feeling a lot stronger, and sore! I have really been working my arms and back a lot and I think they are getting stronger and I’m feeling better and much more healthy adding in some gym time.

Then Saturday I got to go to the crawfish festival for work.

It was really good! With the ticket you got 2 lbs of crawfish. I’ve never had crawfish before but it was delicious, but perhaps a little more work than I thought. They are kind of like baby lobsters. It was overall a great weekend, and I even saw the movie Flipped and thought it was just adorable. I know I should have run more, but oh well.This week I’m finishing up my new schedule for the ‘final’ section of my training. After working so many weekend events though, this is kind of a bummer.

I also visited my friend’s grandma who had surgery a while back, who is now on home hospice care. Really puts life into perspective and how short it really is. I’m lucky to be able to walk, run and talk every day. I’m thankful to have so many people in my life that I love.

15 Responses to Running, working and crawfish.

1. Lisa says:

I think opossums are vile creatures. I would NOT be happy if one was camped out in my back yard. One hissed at me when I was a kid and I think it scarred me for life.

Sounds like a good weekend! Yummy crawfish!! Did you suck the heads??

2. nicole says:

Sounds like a great weekend! Those are some mad tan lines!! Great job on your runs d!!! Glad my lil t-rex is getting stronger!!! Xoxo

3. Jaime Runs says:

Glad you saved the little guy.

I have a flip flop tan too! Looks so silly. :)

4. Heather says:

hilarious about the possum. we get them in our backyard all the time

5. Kate says:

So, funny fact about possums: They are so dumb that their brains don’t imprint… so even if you raise a baby from birth, it will never recognize you… which makes them mean S.O.B.s when they get older. I know this b/c when I was 10 or so, we had a baby whose mother abandoned it. I nursed that sucker and named it and petted it… and 3 mo. later we had to give it to a wild life rescue lady. That butthead would bite the crap out of your hand. So, yeah, that is my Fun Possum Fact – you cannot domesticate them!

6. Kelly says:

sounds like successful weekend! If the running thing doesn’t work out you could go on the TLC show were they catch animals, you know the one. The guy has a mullet. Or is it A&E…anyway

7. Jessica says:

Holy cow, that crawfish looks good!

8. Jennifer says:

Aww the baby possum is so cute! That was so sweet that you trapped it until animal control got there.

Yikes for the tan lines! LOL. I wish I could tan like that.

9. Looks like your job is so fun!

10. Hey, you know the kite was up for a while. Don’t sell yourself short. You’re not a horrible kite-flyer.

Just read your tweet about the cats and dove. Your neighborhood sounds amazing.

11. Wow, what an adventurous weekend you had! Sounds like it was so much fun!

12. I can’t believe it was that small and cute looking. The ones around here are mean. Funny that you were able to catch it though. :) And there’s no way I’d look that excited if I had to set up tents all day… ick!

13. Aj says:

we always joke that we need to shower to figure out if the “tan lines” from our flip flops are tan or dirt. LA is a dirty dirty place. HAHA. awesome lines. you get a farmer’s tan too?

14. i think i would freak out if there was an opossum in my yard. they are disgusting.

i kind of want some crawdads now. so yum.

and your hair looks like it has gotten so long!

15. Tara says:

man that opposum is crazy! It’s like the Discovery channel in your backyard! haha