Bikelust

So. I have something to admit. Every time I run lately, I longingly look at the ones that are constantly barking which way they want to pass me. The ones in spandex so tight it seems to cut off circulation to their brains to remind them not to be douchey. The ones who scoff at me since I use my legs to run and not wheels like the bikes they cruise along on. I have a serious case of bikelust. I really want I bike. I think it would be really helpful in my cross training and I think adding miles on the bike would help repair my legs a little bit from the thrashing I give them often with my long runs and would possibly help with my spring schedule of races that I want to hopefully accomplish.

And yes, tris have crossed my mind. Don’t get all crazy just yet, it will be a while till I get there. C’mon I need to plunk down a solid 2 g for a bike first!

I now introduce you to the hopeful future love of my life

The Giant Avail

I rode this bike before on a test ride and fell in love. It was so quick and clean and I loved the way it felt! The componets that it has are really awesome as well, for the price, which is a rough $1,500ish, not including the helmet, water bottle holder and trainer that I would want to get right away. Also, I love how the bike is very clean looking and I know that some pink handlebar tape would just be the perfect touch on here. :)

Le Sigh. One day. I’ve been creeping around to see when the 2011s come out as well. Perhaps I’ll be able to get one after taxes come back next year! I am saving up now for it and hope that I can possibly get a bike that I love after Christmas to join the roadbiking cult.

It’s funny because just the other day I went into a brand new bike shop after a run that just happened to be on my way home. Not one word was said to me as I perused the shop. They were all huddled in the corner over some bike in their spandex. Very weird. I just know I will be a nice girl with pigtails, none of this douchey, no-wave, I won’t even look at you unless your on a bike stuff. I’m just not that tough!

31 Responses to Bikelust

1. aron says:

well we all know i am now in love with my bike :) its SO FUN!! the “stuff” does add up very fast though. have you thought about keep an eye out for a used one? just a thought :) i got mine used and it was way cheaper than a new one but still in perfect condition. YAY i hope you get to get one soon!!

2. Erin says:

I have the Giant Avail 3 (in red) and I LOVE it. I only paid around $700 for it, though. I rode a lot of other road bikes and this one was my favorite even though it’s not the lightest one. I’ve only had it a few months but I’ve already declared next summer the summer of the bike!

3. Ryce says:

Lovin’ your humor especially the “bikelust” ~ AWESOME!

4. Erin says:

Yessssss! Join the “I’m new at road biking” club! I seriously almost passed out when I bought my Specialized bike (more than an entire months paycheck!), but it has been totally worth it. I love it! You will too :)

5. Emily says:

I TOTALLY have bike lust! (And I have a bike already…so don’t expect it to go away ever.) That bike is a beaut and yes, pink tape on the handlebars would be pretty much perfect. I was a runner before a biker and adding cycling to my training has done wonders for my running and my ability to stay injury free. I totally support the plan to acquire a bike in 2011!

6. Alex says:

So glad I’m not the only one who’s noticed the “douchey” behavior. I’m new at roadbiking (just bought a used Specialized last month – keep your eyes open!) and try to be nice to everybody. Be the change you want to see in the (biking) world! :-)

7. Leigh says:

Haha great post! I bike, but don’t have a super expensive, top of the line bike. I always feel like they don’t wave or say hi because I don’t have a top of the line bike. Next time someone doesn’t say hi or smile you should say hi really loud and exaggerated! Haha

8. Rebekah says:

I’m right there with you! My triathlete friend took me on a “recovery” ride (read that: 20 hilly miles for my first ride in almost a decade) the day after the SF Half. I rode a rented Giant TCR, and it was wonderful. I’ve been bikelusting ever since.

9. Michaela says:

I’ve been thinking the same thing. I recently started swimming, and now I’ve been toying with the idea of doing a tri next year. Which means I need to get a bike. Although an important thing to consider: Those bike outfits will leave nasty tanlines! Even worse than the sports bra and sock tans from running!

10. Stuart says:

Getting pally with a roadie and then start checking out eBay and Craigslist…also picking up a 2010 model at the end of the year will drop the price!

11. Shelly says:

Hey Chic Runner,

Your wide-eyed enthusiasm is always fun to read. Get a bike now–don’t wait for tax season. Sheesh. Life is short, kid. Do it.

I admit to being an old runner (in the 4 hr BQ group so, like, older than your dad, I’m sure)–and not so much your target audience.

But still I’m out here on the ledge looking fondly back at youth–and I just wanted to say, Danica, that you are delightful and I enjoy your writing.

Signed,
    An Old Runner (and also one that will kick butt and BQ at Long Beach in Oct!)

12. Aj says:

Well if it will help you be a stronger runner, I think that totally justifies the purchase!

13. Paleo Dan says:

Like others have said, craigslist is a great resource. Also hit up as many LBSs (local bike shops) as you can and look for older model years… nothing wrong with rocking an ’09 or even an ’08… and, yes, some shops will still have bikes that old.

Even if you want a new bike, you can get a passable road bike for under $1000. I got a cyclocross bike for $700 that has lasted me nigh on 10 years now and it’s still in great condition… of course, I don’t ‘cross with it, just road rides and commutes.

14. Brittney says:

Oh no, your pink bike is going to be jealous! :) I love road bikes but they’re SO expensive, they are so nice to ride though!

That bike is hot!! I think you should start saving for it!
    I want it now too!!

Biking is awesome cross training. Show those mean cyclists that you can bike and be nice!!

I think the tri vortex will suck you in before you know it!!

16. Bill says:

Love the bike. Remember, all components are not the same and steer the price. Text me when you want the seminar. ;-)

Also, I’m a friendly road-biker. I’d say I’m more friendly to the ladies, I pass, but what can I say? ;-)))

17. Heather says:

what a pretty bike!!! does it come in pink?!

18. I hear ya, I’m having bike lust too. Same reason, cross training. Annnd, I promise not to be douchey! When I ride, I say “hi” to everyone even though it’s exhausting, ha!
    Get it girl – you deserve it and it will only enhance your running.

19. Page says:

Do it! Do it! Do it!

20. Average A says:

Life’s too short — just get it now. :) Bikes are so, so fun. :) :)

21. I told Mr. Guru just the other day how I want a rode bike so bad! Maybe we both can get one soon and meet up for a race. Then again I live far away from you so only in dreams! Love the bike though!

22. StephanieC says:

Can i recommend looking on caigslist or the like for the bike trainer. Everyone thinks they will use one and half end up not doing so. Get it cheap second hand. I actually got mine on ebay, even with shipping was well cheaper than in a shop and was brand new.

23. Melissa says:

I have been wondering when you would get the itch to buy a bike! LOL! Sooooo, when will you be changing over to “TRI-Chic?” I started off as “just a runner” and now am a wetsuit away from my first triathlon. Get the bike, justify it as cross training to prevent injury and love every minute of it.

24. I hope you get a giant! I could really use a biking buddy :)

25. Just promise you won’t become one of those bikers that demand 75% of a running path when passing you :) i just got a road bike for cross-training and I’m loving it. Great break for my legs.

26. Alyssa says:

I joined the road biking clan this year and hill running as never been so easy! My legs are so much stronger, I’m very happy with my purchase. Worth every penny!

27. kristen says:

most bikers get a bad rap. you’ll find out what it’s like on the other side :) I did. That’s awesome!!

28. lindsay says:

i googled marathon stories and found your blog. I LOVE IT! You have such a knack for writing.

29. Getting a bike would be so fun and a great investment!

30. Kristen says:

Muah ha ha! You are coming to the dark side! Bikes are the best in terms of cross training, I bet you wouldn’t go on your running hibernation times if you had a bike.
    And tri’s is the next place you are going, so don’t even deny it!

31. Pingback: 25 years is a long time! | Chic Runner